PDA

View Full Version : Do Star lube dies fit in other machines?

Mach_Cat
04-25-2014, 02:25 PM
Hi
Just getting started on the casting game.
However I have lots of misc parts from my father. I have no lube sizer but i do have 4 dies for a star lube sizer.
Will these fit in any other presses or only in a star.
Does each of the different manufactures us a propitiatory design?

Thanks Ed

blikseme300
04-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Only fits a Star but having the dies is a good excuse to get what is the best sizer available. I danced around the issue of spending the money but once I got my first Star there has been no regrets since. I now own 5 of these machines and they see regular use. My wife says I'm an obsessive compulsive person. Maybe I am...

Mach_Cat
04-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Thanks

dragon813gt
04-25-2014, 05:59 PM
They will fit in a Ballisticast MkV and VI.

VHoward
04-25-2014, 06:06 PM
I heard rumors that they would fit in a Seaco (Saeco?) sizer.

dragon813gt
04-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Saeco dies are different and only fit their machine. RCBS and Lyman dies are interchangeable.

super6
04-25-2014, 06:36 PM
You may already know this, Magma engineering makes the star lube / sizer as was star at one point and the older dies work with their product. I have a magma machine and am a happy camper! I am always on the lookout for dies if you would like to sell.

ReloaderFred
04-25-2014, 07:15 PM
As noted above, they will only fit the Star/Magma machines. The same sizing die is also used in the Magma Lube Master, which is capable of sizing and lubing about 6,000 bullets per hour, they claim. Mine has never reached that level, but it's fast!

Hope this helps.

Fred

SWANEEDB
04-25-2014, 07:20 PM
A friend of mine does have a lube die stamped 'Saeco', maybe at one time Saeco made a few for star.

dragon813gt
04-25-2014, 07:47 PM
As noted above, they will only fit the Star/Magma machines.

No, as noted above they will fit the Ballisticast machines as well: http://www.ballisti-cast.com/?page_id=32

Mach_Cat
04-25-2014, 09:16 PM
I have an old automatic sizer my dad made in the 80s. I am trying to figure what dies he intended to use. The star look close but feel like it would be almost a press fit to get them in. What are the deminsions of the rcbs dies?

rodsvet
04-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Put up a picture of the machine and some one will ID it.

Mach_Cat
04-25-2014, 10:21 PM
The machine I know. It is an OBE lubsizer. He was making and selling them in the 80s.I have the 2 prototypes. In today's internet he would have done well with them. But back then it was adds through shotgun news. He was selling them for about 900 then. When it is back up and running will post pictures. Very amazing machines. The hole for the die is close to the stAr size. How tight a fit should a die be?

blikseme300
04-26-2014, 12:29 AM
They will fit in a Ballisticast MkV and VI.

I stand corrected.

ReloaderFred
04-26-2014, 01:57 AM
I also forgot about the Ballisti-Cast machines. I've only seen one of them, and that was at the SHOT Show about 10 years ago, about two owners ago for the company............

Hope this helps.

Fred

Mach_Cat
04-26-2014, 12:40 PM
So can some one give me deminsions on rcbs dies?
Thanks

ssnow
04-27-2014, 09:28 AM
The machine I know. It is an OBE lubsizer. He was making and selling them in the 80s.I have the 2 prototypes. In today's internet he would have done well with them. But back then it was adds through shotgun news. He was selling them for about 900 then. When it is back up and running will post pictures. Very amazing machines. The hole for the die is close to the stAr size. How tight a fit should a die be?

I don't have an RCBS style die to measure for you. However, the Star dies fit very close, with a tight tolerance, otherwise they would leak.

When you consider the way the machine works, and the fact that you have some Star dies and no others, it is likely that the machine your Dad made is designed to use Star dies. The Star and Ballisti-Cast machines, both their manual and automatic commercial versions, use a Star type die.

These machines operate with a push through system. The bullet enters from the top and is pushed into the correct position for lubing by the punch. The next bullet pushes it out of the die. This allows for very fast operation vs. the RCBS style system.

The RCBS/Lyman system feeds the bullet from the top and sizes it on the down stroke, the upstroke pushes the bullet back up through and out of the die. It works, and is fine for manual operation. But, it is not nearly efficient as the Star type system.

In short, if your Dad wanted to build his own machines, it is more likely that he would have chosen a push through design over the RCBS/Lyman system given that so much more is possible with the push through design over the RCBS/Lyman type system.

Mach_Cat
04-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Ah now that makes sense. It is a push a through system, reason I was not
Sure on the star dies, is I have equipment also from another estate and had not looked at this stuff for about 15 years. Now that I am shooting much more trying to come up the learning curve and get things all back together.

cbrick
04-27-2014, 06:13 PM
A friend of mine does have a lube die stamped 'Saeco', maybe at one time Saeco made a few for star.

I too have some Star dies marked SAECO. I'm not aware of SAECO ever making Star dies for retail sale but back before John Adams sold SAECO to Redding the Lubrisizer used in the SAECO shop was a Star, not a SAECO lubrisizer, I know because I bought that Star machine from John when he sold the company. They did make the dies they used in the shop and marked them SAECO and I bought some of those with the Star machine. There are probably several of these dies floating around that were sold when John retired.

Rick

cainttype
04-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Phelps lubrisizers will use Star dies, being basic carbon copies.