PDA

View Full Version : rimfire rifle into ML inline?

Nobade
04-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Having several Remington 580 rifles here and no ammo to shoot in them, I have been pondering converting one to an inline muzzleloader. I built another one into a 9mm centerfire a few years ago and that is always fun to shoot, so a ML conversion should be similar but use 209 primers instead of cartridges. Anybody else try this on an old 22? Seems like a 32 - 35 caliber bullet firing inline that weighed about 4 pounds would be fun to play with. I wouldn't even have to thread the receiver, just pin the barrel like the original so it could be switched back to rimfire if I wanted to. Just change barrels and bolt noses.

-Nobade

nekshot
04-25-2014, 09:20 AM
I also have given thought to what these almost extinct now 22's can be used for. I was thinking bp as I heard some threads dapple into it but never heard the final results. I am waiting to see some shmuck on you tube firing a 10-22 converted to something centerfire, given as ammo is a hard find!

shawnba67
04-25-2014, 12:05 PM
I have been hard thinking about an Muzzle Loading pellet rifle, use a 209 to fire a pellet(caliber to be determined). Add powder to 1000fps if need. I however have no idea how to make this idea a reality.

Any Cal.
04-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Power loads for nailer, with ball loaded from muzzle in front? Sort of like the Game Getter?

Nobade
04-25-2014, 11:52 PM
I have been hard thinking about an Muzzle Loading pellet rifle, use a 209 to fire a pellet(caliber to be determined). Add powder to 1000fps if need. I however have no idea how to make this idea a reality.

I tried shooting pellets in my Contender 22 Hornet using primers. It's really dirty, leads the bore, and not very accurate. #4 buckshot works a lot better.

-Nobade

TCLouis
04-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Just a SWAG on my part, but I think the 209 is way too much power in relation to the bore/powder chage you are contemplating.

Normal #11 nipple or 25 auto with SP primer or just SP would be more in line with that end result methinks.

ABluehound
05-25-2014, 04:44 AM
There are .22 caliber nail sets out there in 6 different power levels, I would not suggest using anything other than the gray or brown. You should be able to send a lead ball down range in the neighborhood of a few to several hundred feet per second with the lowest. You don't have to change your rifle. I would do a little research on what the pressure levels the loads develop and be VERY sure you do not get the wrong one in your rifle. There is some information on pressure levels you can find that relate to a 350 grain slug that you can translate down for each load level to show just how scary the pressures can get if you accidentally get one of the hotter loads in it.

I made a chamber insert to fire 311 lead balls from my .303 based on dimensions I got from casting the chamber and machining in brass after seeing this:
http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/index.html
The one I made sends a lead ball down range with a thump and has dispatched a couple squirrels.
With a bit of research you should be able to find a load to do the same from a 22.
You could also take a stab at reloading .22 rim-fire cases with dissolved strike anywhere match heads and lead ball like someone mentioned in a primer sticky here. I wouldn’t bother fixing the previous primer dents even since you are not likely making life and death shots with them. That and you don't want to work harden the brass.

JeffinNZ
05-25-2014, 06:31 PM
The next old single shot .22 I find cheap I intend to convert to the MLer. Will size a soft 225415 to fit.

Nobade
05-25-2014, 06:49 PM
What I was originally thinking of wasn't to use the original 22 barrel but replace it with something more useful as a muzzle loader, maybe a 32 or so. But I must admit a 22 cal. bullet firing muzzleloader would be interesting to play with. Just maybe not for very long...

-Nobade