PDA

View Full Version : Factory .380 ammo blowout

lead-1
04-25-2014, 02:33 AM
Has anyone here tried any DRT, Dynamic Research Technologies ammo?
A friend of mine brought over a piece of brass from a round he fired in his Ruger LCP, the pic isn't very good but it blew out at the web. Do you folks think this could be a result of, Rugers unsupported chamber, junk brass and or frangible bullet, too hot as in +P rated ammo or insert your opinions here.
The only bad review I really found online was one guy who claimed 14 out of 50 rounds failed to fire, no other real complaints so that could've been his gun. So, here I am looking for input, Thanks.

freebullet
04-25-2014, 02:45 AM
The lcp is weak cheap gun. They have a chamber window, is that where it blew out? If not I would guess the gun was damaged by this. Possible squib or obstruction in the bore.

Try to focus for a better pic. Hope your friend is ok.

reed1911
04-25-2014, 05:16 AM
I would look to an overpressure situation. Either the round not fully chambered when fired, a bore obstruction, or possibly from the original load. I don't think the LCP is weak or cheap and I would find it hard to believe that it would fire out of battery without the user knowing.

Handloader109
04-25-2014, 07:15 AM
Don't have a 380, but I pick up range brass when I get opportunity. Cleaned a pile yesterday.
Noticed ALL 30 or so .380's that I cleaned have pretty severe scratches along the entire supported circumference from what I would consider high pressure rounds and yes maybe rough chamber. I have not seen this from any other caliber I've picked up, none of my 9mm rounds (factory +p down to my reloads) 40, 45, 38, 38sp and 25acp. Wondering if there is some ++P rounds out there?

Garyshome
04-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Is it 1x fired or 10x fired, damaged in some way?

FergusonTO35
04-25-2014, 01:26 PM
There is some really odd ammo out there, particularly in the realm of ultra light bullets at super high velocity. If the pistol works normally with name brand ball ammo I would call it good.

lead-1
04-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Sorry, it's been a busy day. This piece of brass is from a factory loaded, first time fired round. It is from DRT self defense ammo.
When I get back to my friend I will try to find out exactly what load it was.

MtGun44
04-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Disagree with the slam on the Ruger, what a bunch of baloney.

Load was massively overpressure, that area is unsupported at the feed ramp in
almost all semiauto pistols and this the classic overpressure failure and not by a
small margin - that looks like a double charge, I'd never buy that brand again.

Bill

lefty o
04-26-2014, 03:47 PM
been seeing alot of these problems with these small upstart no name ammo assemblers. that said, without actually inspecting the pistol its hard to say, but i would lean towards an ammo problem first.

FergusonTO35
04-26-2014, 09:15 PM
I agree. Never heard of DRT, I wouldn't call them "brand name" just yet.

Bonz
04-27-2014, 11:01 AM
http://shop.militaryshooters.com/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=140211&pid=1033261

been thinking about trying but I believe this post has talked me out of it

Salmoneye
04-27-2014, 11:55 AM
From what I can tell from that pic, it looks like the brass was eaten away by acid, or blew out in a spot where the zinc leached out of the brass...

Am I seeing verdigris on the inside of that case?

dougader
04-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Yeah, it looks odd for a case blow out. More like it's a brittle piece of brass that broke away rather than bulged and blown out. Hard to tell with the pic so out of focus.

Dan Cash
04-27-2014, 02:53 PM
An aweful lot of brass gone for an unsupported web blow out. I am disinclined to believe a double charge if the LCP is still in one piece/not damaged. Looks a lot like the round was fired out of battery but I don't know how liberal the disconnector is on the LCP.

Uncle R.
04-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Yeah, it looks odd for a case blow out... Hard to tell with the pic so out of focus.
<
Yes. I'd like to see a better picture. It does look odd and that's a pretty big hole for a feed ramp blowout.
<
Uncle R.

Lonegun1894
04-28-2014, 03:28 AM
I vote unsupported chamber. I used to have a Makarov in .380 that had a generous feed ramp. It fed great, and shot great, but was a reloading nightmare cause, while I never had a blowout like this, I couldn't get past the fired brass looking like it was about 9 months pregnant and ready to burst. I reloaded a few rounds for it, but eventually decided it had to go down the road.