PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 Sight Dovetails

TCLouis
04-24-2014, 08:31 PM
So IF they are different than standard 3/8 dovetail, are they larger or smaller?

May have to look at some alternatives while I begin my LONG wait for the sights they said would be here in 4-6 weeks.

I would call except the message on the robo-anwser system says wait for customer service may be up to 1 1/2 hours.

Not sure that is customer service, but then their goal was really to sell me a rifle and they have already accomplished the goal.

Pepe Ray
04-25-2014, 01:07 AM
Wow!!
I expected that you'd be swamped with answers by now.
Sorry.
I havn't had a new rossi M92 in hand for several years now. Formerly I handled (messed with) 8 different ones. Only one had sights comparable to standard after market USA sights. It was a stainless with fiber optic sights mounted, easily replaced.
ALL the others had mid bbl dovetail slots / sights WAY too large to be accommodated by ordinary after market products.
The front sights varied. Some were dovetailed, some were in bbl band slots.
The're all fixable. Some more work than others.
Good luck.
Pepe Ray

jh45gun
04-25-2014, 04:48 AM
My Ranchhand has a standard 3/8ths dovetail. I put a fiber optic Williams front sight on it and it fit perfectly.
Ranch Dog says they are 3/8ths on all the ones he measured. Others have said that as well. Steve's say they are a bit bigger so maybe that is true or maybe some of the earlier ones were bigger. Like Pepe said all are fixable.

rhead
04-25-2014, 06:48 AM
"The two older ones that i have are somewhat larger . Metric???? The two newer ones I have are standard 3/8 inch. I have no idea when the change was made.

snaketail
04-25-2014, 09:32 AM
I have a 2-year old Rossi 92 - the rear sight dovetail is a bit loose. The "filler" in the slot holds ok until the barrel heats up - then you can slide it out with your fingers. Maybe Midway sold me an undersized filler...or the slot is too big. Not a serious problem, just my .02 cents worth.

frogleg
04-26-2014, 07:55 AM
The new one I had 6mo ago had 3/8 slot, A Marbles rear sight worked with out any trouble.:-?

Geobru
04-26-2014, 08:36 AM
My 92 is a 3 years old and the rear dovetail is a bit larger than 3/8". I used 1 or 2 strips of aluminum from a pop can under the filler plug to snug it up. Not sure about the front sight because I haven't messed with it.

TCLouis
04-26-2014, 10:00 AM
DANG

When one is hoping to hear the Rossi slot is smaller than normal it seems a simple file and a little effort is a solution.

A "little larger" is a different issue requiring more fiddling.

Oh well it is grouping even with the fctory sights.

Me or the gun . . . Hmmmmm