PDA

View Full Version : Dies and jackets.

just bill
04-24-2014, 06:03 PM
I got a response from R. Corbin, I was curious about the comment that his website states that his 1.36" .308 jackets may be to long for some dies. His dies along with the Walnut Hill will handle most all jacket length's. The question is " has any one experienced jackets too long (1.3" -1.4") for current dies, for instants, Blackmond's, CH4D, BT's or any brand other than Corbin. I am looking to make something similar to the 210gr SMK for my 300 win mag long shooter. I have two modified single stage presses, but no .308 BT or RBT dies and just need some advise on different dies.

Thanks,
Bill

aaronraad
04-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Okay I'll chime in if no one else will...

Most of the M-Type and S-type dies are only made to work in presses designed to handle projectiles up to 1.2-1.3".

R-Type dies vary a bit depending on which reloading press they were designed for. So yes and no.

Invariably the point form die, if not all the dies used in set, have to be made longer than standard lengths to work with the minimum number of steps. So you need to clarify this with the diemaker at the time of order. Diemakers don't necessarily charge anymore for the longer dies, but they don't usually keep them on the shelf either and you can be expected to wait.

Best to talk to your preferred diemaker and work directly with them on your requirements, better chance of getting some guarantee out of them.