PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning brass with a washing machine.

Docjames
04-24-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm sure this has already been talked about in the last 30 years but I just thought about it while watching my washing machine. What if you used an old washer to clean bulk brass? Most are cheaper than a concrete mixer and seems like it would be a cool way to wash all the brass at once, then rinse it automatically and dry it mostly too.

Maximumbob54
04-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Don't!!!

I tried it and it bashed up the tub with all kinds of dents. I guess you might be able to do small amounts but it's just not worth it. I guess if you buy a cheap used one then go for it.

BruceB
04-24-2014, 02:17 PM
The cloth mineral-sample bags we used in mining had ties to close the necks of the bags, and each bag would hold several hundred handgun cases.

I put maybe a quarter-cup of dry laundry detergent in each bag, tied it closed, and placed several such bags in the washer per "load".

Running them through a complete wash/rinse cycle, the cases were clean and moderately shiny at the end of the process.

Spreading them out on a towel or something similar in the not sun for a few hours would ensure the dryness of the cases.

Oven-drying on a DEDICATED cookie sheet (with the oven door partly open and on a low temperature setting) also worked.

A tumbler of some sort works better, but the washing machine will do the job if necessary. Cases DO need to be confined in a bag of some sort though. There is no damage to the washer when bags are used.

Docjames
04-24-2014, 10:17 PM
The cloth mineral-sample bags we used in mining had ties to close the necks of the bags, and each bag would hold several hundred handgun cases.

I put maybe a quarter-cup of dry laundry detergent in each bag, tied it closed, and placed several such bags in the washer per "load".

Running them through a complete wash/rinse cycle, the cases were clean and moderately shiny at the end of the process.

Spreading them out on a towel or something similar in the not sun for a few hours would ensure the dryness of the cases.

Oven-drying on a DEDICATED cookie sheet (with the oven door partly open and on a low temperature setting) also worked.

A tumbler of some sort works better, but the washing machine will do the job if necessary. Cases DO need to be confined in a bag of some sort though. There is no damage to the washer when bags are used.

Cool guys! That tells me what I needed to know. I like the bags idea for sure. My neighbors give me washers sometimes so I was kinda hoping to snag one and tumble brass with it lol.
Alright, love it.
'Justin J

W.R.Buchanan
04-24-2014, 10:18 PM
I have been washing shotshell hulls before loading them for years. You run them in laundry bags so they don't go everywhere. It also helps to have an even number of bags in the washer so that it balances out during the spin cycle. I also put some tee shirts in with the bags so that it softens the sound of the cases rattling around which is disconcerting to the Laundromat owner.

I recommend going late at night when nobody's there.

The whole point on the shotshell hulls is that they are much more pleasant to handle if they are clean. It simply produces better ammo.

I also Deprime and Size the hulls before washing as the spent primers will hold water for several days. You don't want this.

Randy

bedbugbilly
04-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Just curious . . LOL . . for those that have used the washing machine . . . how many of you are married? Just saying . . . :-)

I will admit that I have pondered this myself. Seems like if you put several bags - maybe put the brass in old pillow cases and tie them off . . . that it might work pretty well. My problem is that my wife is never gone long enough for me to try it. After 42 years of marriage, there are some things I just know I shouldn't be messing with . . . :-)

Fyodor
04-25-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm not married, but I live with my girlfriend.

And I still prefer the washing-machine to clean my cases, it just gives best results.

I but them (not more than 300 at a time) in an empty pillow cover, and put that in a strong linnen shopping-bag.

Wash on cold or warm setting, and add just a teaspoon of detergent. Use a short program without spin-dry or stop machine before spinning.

I usually put the cases into a sieve and dig my hands through them a couple of times to extract water that got cought in some of them.

As a last step, I put them in the oven at 250°F for around ten to twenty minutes, occasionaly opening the door to let steam escape.

You can even wash deprimed and sized casings, this process actually is more gentle than most people would think. With deprimed cases, even the primer pockets get cleaned quite good.

All this is a quick and effective process to clean your brass. You won't get such shiny cases as polishing them with stainless steel pins or such, but they are clean enough for me.

Bonz
04-25-2014, 09:23 AM
I tried it when the wife wasn't home. The brass definitely comes out cleaner & shinier with wet tumbling with SS pins

dudel
04-25-2014, 11:40 AM
I tried it when the wife wasn't home. The brass definitely comes out cleaner & shinier with wet tumbling with SS pins

OMG, how many pounds of SS pins did you put in the washer? How'd you get them all out?:kidding:

jcwit
04-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Nothing like contaminating you washer & cloths.

But then it is you & your family.

We get all worked up about the dust from a tumbler, but its alright to use the family washer.

Yes I know the OP said he was looking at a cheap used washer.

Fyodor
04-25-2014, 12:14 PM
You won't contaminate anything. I did that quite a few times, and there is no residue in the machine, filters or anywhere else. Even the pillow case looks as new. Older machines are even better because they don't save that much water.

W.R.Buchanan
04-25-2014, 12:23 PM
Yes you need to use older machines.

If I put them in my wife's new LG front loading machine she would beat me.

Plus the new machines don't have enough water in them to work right for this project.

A Laundromat is a good option however I would suggest washing a bunch of clothes with the brass in bags to cut out most of the noise.

Randy

dragon813gt
04-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Are you really advocating washing brass at a public laundromat? They aren't your machines. Someone has to pay for them. And other people use them. I find even thinking of using a laundromat beyond reproach. You want to do it at home, fine. And has anyone actually tested their washing machines for lead after they cleaned their brass in one?

jcwit
04-25-2014, 12:29 PM
You won't contaminate anything. I did that quite a few times, and there is no residue in the machine, filters or anywhere else. Even the pillow case looks as new. Older machines are even better because they don't save that much water.

Did you do a lead test on the machine and your cloths? How bout the "New" pillow case?

The problem is the lead compounds from the spent primers and residue of same left in the case.

Beat me to it dragon.

jakec
04-25-2014, 01:03 PM
at a public laudromat i bet those cases aint even close to the nastiest stuff thats been washed there. the machines are prob cleaner than before when your done.

Groovy
04-27-2014, 10:38 PM
Would the gentle cycle work?

bnelson06
04-27-2014, 11:26 PM
I've been doing this a couple cases at a time for years. Simply forget to empty your pockets and do your laundry. Wife doesn't like it but it is a forgivable mistake.

Iowa Fox
04-27-2014, 11:56 PM
People are always looking for someone that wants an old wringer type machine. My wife has one that she uses for walnuts at the farm to clean them up before she dries them. It was like new when someone gave it to her. Really gets them clean before she runs them through her cracker.

dilly
04-28-2014, 12:04 AM
One time I rinsed my brass in soapy water through a strainer, tied them up in a sock, and dried them in my dryer. It worked surprisingly well but I was concerned with how my dryer would hold up with doing that regularly.

W.R.Buchanan
04-28-2014, 05:22 PM
You guys are way too sensitive about this. I've been doing this for 20+ years and nobody at my mothers house died.

First it does absolutely no harm whatsoever to the machine.

Second at a Laundromat it probably IS the cleanest thing that has been ever been washed there.

As far as the lead content goes if all the soap is rinsed out of the clothes then all of the lead (of which there is damn little in the first place) is rinsed out as well.

I find the idea that any (horiffically fatal) lead is transferred to anyone's clothes after use about as likely as Obama telling the truth. Besides I was talking shotgun shells and all the lead from them leaves with the wad and never touches the hull itself.

I don't know who thinks there was lead in fired primers or powder? But if any of this is true then we probably shouldn't be against all of the lead bullet bans here in CA or in your states as well.

I mean after all,,, all the Condors and Eagles are dying from lead poisoning!!!,,, Right? :holysheep

Randy

jcwit
04-28-2014, 05:55 PM
You guys are way too sensitive about this. I've been doing this for 20+ years and nobody at my mothers house died.

First it does absolutely no harm whatsoever to the machine.

Second at a Laundromat it probably IS the cleanest thing that has been ever been washed there.

As far as the lead content goes if all the soap is rinsed out of the clothes then all of the lead (of which there is damn little in the first place) is rinsed out as well.

I find the idea that any (horiffically fatal) lead is transferred to anyone's clothes after use about as likely as Obama telling the truth. Besides I was talking shotgun shells and all the lead from them leaves with the wad and never touches the hull itself.

I don't know who thinks there was lead in fired primers or powder? But if any of this is true then we probably shouldn't be against all of the lead bullet bans here in CA or in your states as well.

I mean after all,,, all the Condors and Eagles are dying from lead poisoning!!!,,, Right? :holysheep

Randy

Last first, and I'm here in the Midwest, we have no Condors, but I know how birds feed and ingest food, birds do not have a stomach, they have a gizzard, if per chance they eat meat and swallow pellets or a lead bullet it goes into the gizzard where it is ground up into a fine powder that can be absorbed into the body. That is the theory anyway. I really question it but it is what it is and being as you live in Cali, you have to live with it or get the law changed.

Regarding using a washing machine particularly one to be used by you or others to wash their family cloths, like you say no one has died so far. Has anyone at your mothers house had their lead/heavy metals tested? Second question, you still need to wash your cloths at your mom's house? Third question, you claim all the lead is immediately washed and rinsed out, you know this for a certainly how? Have you done a lead test on the drum and inner working of said washer?

Regarding where does the lead come from? Currently most "not all" but most primers contain as one of their primer compounds, "drum roll here" LEAD, yes LEAD, in the form of LEAD STYPHNATE. This is not elemental lead but a lead compound. As with other lead-containing compounds, lead styphnate is inherently toxic to humans if ingested i.e. can cause heavy metal poisoning.

Now then if you think it's still OK to wash your cases in the family's "moms in your case" washer, go for it. Your family's health, your health, but seriously rethink using a public washing mach.

JSnover
04-28-2014, 06:22 PM
How much lead is left in a spent primer? Seems like most would be vaporized and blasted out with the shot.

jcwit
04-28-2014, 06:39 PM
How much lead is left in a spent primer? Seems like most would be vaporized and blasted out with the shot.

I have no idea, but its easily tested with

http://www.skcinc.com/prod/550-001.asp

That's why I suggested testing the washer.

While I have cast bullets for 50 + years with no problem, and I believe the scare by the government is way over blown, I also realize lead as being a toxic agent. To think or act otherwise is pure folly.

44Vaquero
04-28-2014, 07:15 PM
+1 on W.R.Buchanan's comments! Detergent's and soaps act as surfactant's binding with debris and contaminates and will be flushed out of the washer during the rinse cycle. Additionally, as a reminder Lead has to be ingested and processed in the digestive system (or inhaled) for contamination to occur. So if you drink your wash water you may have cause for concern.

I asked my doctor about lead poisoning once and the 1st thing she said is "In the emergency room bullets and shot are generally not removed from gunshot wounds if it is deemed that removal would cause greater damage." She then reminded me not eat or drink during casting and reloading until I have washed my hands.

BruceB
04-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Gentlemen, allow me:

We are all yakking about a subject that is full of unknowns.

I suggest an experiment, which I would do myself IF I had the ability, but right now.... I don't.

Please..... several of us should take a good-sized sample of FIRED primers, such as 100 or more. Weigh that sample carefully and jot down the weight somewhere. Ensure that no extraneous junk is included in the weighed sample.

Toss the fired primers into a sock or other suitable cloth "container" and run them through a full wash cycle in the machine.

Dry those primers THOROUGHLY, REALLY THOROUGHLY..... and then weigh them again.

Let's actually see how much material is lost from them in the course of the wash cycle.

Not all of the weight loss will be lead, or lead compounds....there will be carbon present, and other remnants of the priming mix that may have been "lost". However, we will at least have some rough idea of what is happening to those fired primers that concern some of us so much.

Any volunteers for this simple procedure? (Be honest, now....TRUE results, please!)

jcwit
04-28-2014, 07:43 PM
+1 on W.R.Buchanan's comments! Detergent's and soaps act as surfactant's binding with debris and contaminates and will be flushed out of the washer during the rinse cycle. Additionally, as a reminder Lead has to be ingested and processed in the digestive system (or inhaled) for contamination to occur. So if you drink your wash water you may have cause for concern.

I asked my doctor about lead poisoning once and the 1st thing she said is "In the emergency room bullets and shot are generally not removed from gunshot wounds if it is deemed that removal would cause greater damage." She then reminded me not eat or drink during casting and reloading until I have washed my hands.

So tell me this, many years ago in Merry Old England they played music by rubbing ones hands on lead crystal goblets, and many of the musicians died from lead poising.

Yes lead, and some lead compounds can be absorbed thru the skin.

Why do you think white lead was so toxic to plumbers, they sure didn't lick the threads, well I don't think so anyway.

jcwit
04-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Gentlemen, allow me:

We are all yakking about a subject that is full of unknowns.

I suggest an experiment, which I would do myself IF I had the ability, but right now.... I don't.

Please..... several of us should take a good-sized sample of FIRED primers, such as 100 or more. Weigh that sample carefully and jot down the weight somewhere. Ensure that no extraneous junk is included in the weighed sample.

Toss the fired primers into a sock or other suitable cloth "container" and run them through a full wash cycle in the machine.

Dry those primers THOROUGHLY, REALLY THOROUGHLY..... and then weigh them again.

Let's actually see how much material is lost from them in the course of the wash cycle.

Not all of the weight loss will be lead, or lead compounds....there will be carbon present, and other remnants of the priming mix that may have been "lost". However, we will at least have some rough idea of what is happening to those fired primers that concern some of us so much.

Any volunteers for this simple procedure? (Be honest, now....TRUE results, please!)

Well actually this is a similar question I've always had. Just how much lead is present in that Chinese toy that a kid puts in his mouth?

But the other side of that question, does that small amount make it safe?

Wife & I have been watching the show Cosmos on every Sunday night. Last week Apr. 20, they had a major portion of the program about the dangers of lead. Do I believe all of it? Not completely. But, and there is that funny 3 letter word.

Hey, you want to live on the edge, go buy a carton of cigs, and puff your life away. I know all about that, quit 14 years ago, now I can't post a target at 50 or 100 yds without stopping and gasping for air.

44Vaquero
04-28-2014, 08:02 PM
jcwit, I beg to differ with you from the US Department of labor:

Lead can be absorbed into your body by inhalation (breathing) and ingestion (eating). Lead (except for certain organic lead compounds not covered by the standard, such as tetraethyl lead) is not absorbed through your skin. When lead is scattered in the air as a dust, fume or mist it can be inhaled and absorbed through you lungs and upper respiratory tract. Inhalation of airborne lead is generally the most important source of occupational lead absorption. You can also absorb lead through your digestive system if lead gets into your mouth and is swallowed. If you handle food, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, or make-up which have lead on them or handle them with hands contaminated with lead, this will contribute to ingestion.

Full page: https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=10031&p_table=STANDARDS

jcwit
04-28-2014, 08:17 PM
jcwit, I beg to differ with you from the US Department of labor:

Lead can be absorbed into your body by inhalation (breathing) and ingestion (eating). Lead (except for certain organic lead compounds not covered by the standard, such as tetraethyl lead) is not absorbed through your skin. When lead is scattered in the air as a dust, fume or mist it can be inhaled and absorbed through you lungs and upper respiratory tract. Inhalation of airborne lead is generally the most important source of occupational lead absorption. You can also absorb lead through your digestive system if lead gets into your mouth and is swallowed. If you handle food, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, or make-up which have lead on them or handle them with hands contaminated with lead, this will contribute to ingestion.

Full page: https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=10031&p_table=STANDARDS

Well I did say lead compounds, did I not?

And answer my two questions in my post #26.

Humans have been mining and using this heavy metal for thousands of years, poisoning themselves in the process. Although lead poisoning is one of the oldest known work and environmental hazards, the modern understanding of the small amount of lead necessary to cause harm did not come about until the latter half of the 20th century. No safe threshold for lead exposure has been discovered—that is, there is no known sufficiently small amount of lead that will not cause harm to the body

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/brain/lead_poisoning.html
Why Is Lead Harmful?

When the body is exposed to lead — by being inhaled, swallowed, or in a small number of cases, absorbed through the skin — it can act as a poison. Exposure to high lead levels in a short period of time is called acute toxicity. Exposure to small amounts of lead over a long period of time is called chronic toxicity.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=7&po=6

Dermal exposure plays a role for exposure to organic lead among workers, but is not considered a significant pathway for the general population.

Organic lead may be absorbed directly through the skin.
Organic lead (tetramethyllead) is more likely to be absorbed through the skin than inorganic lead.
Dermal exposure is most likely among people who work with lead.

Need I go on?

44Vaquero
04-28-2014, 08:49 PM
JCwit: You are quoting out of context without undestanding the differing states of Lead and Lead compounds: Most of us will most likely never encounter organic leads such as tetramethyllead once a common fuel additive used to increase lubricity/anti knock in fossil fuelled combustion engines. No longer used for this very reason. For the purposes of this conversation lets stick to elemental or inorganic Lead likely to be found in casting and firearms.

Organic lead compounds include a number of common high-
pressure lubricants (lead soaps) and the gasoline anti-knock
agents tetraethyl lead (TEL) and tetramethyl lead (TML). TEL
and TML are lipid-soluble liquids of high volatility and are
prepared by chemical synthesis.

With respect to children no level of exposure is known to be safe? Which is the governments/doctors way of saying we should differ to the side of caution due to the known long term detrimental effects of prolonged exposure.

With respect to lead in painted toys etc: The lead is suspended in the paint and must be leached out of the substrate, so licking a lead painted toy would result in minimal exposure, and submersing that toy in a glass of orange juice for a day or two and then drinking the juice would most likely result in a much higher level of exposure. Due to the juices acidic leaching affect.

This is why the effects of eating lead paint chips was so dangerous the body breaks down the paint substrate and allows the lead to be metabolized.

jcwit
04-28-2014, 09:09 PM
JCwit: You are quoting out of context without undestanding the differing states of Lead and Lead compounds: Most of us will most likely never encounter organic leads such as tetramethyllead once a common fuel additive used to increase lubricity in fossil fuelled combustion engines. No longer used for this very reason. For the purposes of this conversation lets stick to elemental or inorganic Lead likely to be found in casting and firearms.

So you are claiming without a doubt that lead compounds fount in lead and oxidized lead and compounds found in priming components can not be absorbed thru the skin and that is perfectly safe for one's kid's to wear cloths contaminated with lead no matter where the exposure came from.

Quite a slippery position you are taking.

Furthermore, say the cloths are contaminated, person puts hands into pockets, person eats hamburger at fast food joint-----see where this could go.

Now lets stick to the real discussion here, contamination, and from washing in the family's washer. Not a wise option when there are so many positive safe options.

BTW, its jcwit, not JCwit

44Vaquero
04-28-2014, 09:30 PM
jcwit: Really you had to point out a minor typing error? My apologies if I offended you.

Inorganic Lead will be washed (surfactant's lift and envelope dirt and debris) out of the washer in the rinse cycle along with any debris and contaminates and pose little or no danger of contaminating the family's subsequent washed clothing.

I spent 10 years working in a MI-OSHA related abetment safety industry and guess what the proscribed procedure was for decontaminating most clothing? Washing them in hot soapy water!

jcwit
04-28-2014, 09:47 PM
jcwit: Really you had to point out a minor typing error? My apologies if I offended you.

Inorganic Lead will be washed (surfactant's lift and envelope dirt and debris) out of the washer in the rinse cycle along with any debris and contaminates and pose little or no danger of contaminating the family's subsequent washed clothing.

I spent 10 years working in a MI-OSHA related abetment safety industry and guess what the proscribed procedure was for decontaminating most clothing? Washing them in hot soapy water!

Point out a minor typing, ya I did, IT'S MY SCREEN NAME, MY NAME, that's important to me, your name may not be important to you, but mine is to me.

Now you may have worked for MI-OSHA, I could care less, you nor anyone is going to convince me that washing fired cases in the family's washer is a smart thing to do.

Good grief man our indoor range has even put in D-Lead soap dispensers. Instead of using detergent or hand soap.

You my see this as useless, you may see it fine to wash cases in your family's washer, you may smoke cigs, do whatever you wish, but again look up what the acceptable level of lead is.

44Vaquero
04-28-2014, 10:13 PM
Actually, I can see from your recent post that all rational conversation is over and only raw emotional passion is left. In this type of environment the free exchange of information and ideas is no longer possible your attitude precludes you from having a rational discussion based upon facts and defaults to emotional pleas to accept your position.

Out west they recently drained a local drinking water reservoir because security cameras caught a kid urinating into it! Several hundred million gallons of water wasted not because it was really contaminated but because psychologically the community found the thought distasteful.

Just because you feel psychologically secure is no proof that the process is unsafe?

jcwit
04-28-2014, 10:31 PM
Correct, everyone forgot about all the bird **** in the water, let alone all the other stuff.

Regarding lead, what is the safe level, you forgot to answer that question.

44Vaquero
04-28-2014, 11:57 PM
For what it's worth, the OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL)for lead is 50ug/m3 over an 8 hour period (TWA8). That's about zero point zilch.

The actionable limit where a worker has to be removed from lead exposure is 40ug/dl of blood. Again, about zero point zilch.

A surgical mask (N100) type and THOUROUGHLY washing your hands after casting/loading will generally prevent any problems.

My last test was 5 or 6 years ago came in at 4.2 an acceptable background level.

Sekatoa
04-29-2014, 03:22 AM
Never tried this for brass cases. But once I left a loaded round in one of my pockets once after returning from the range with my son. It went through the washer. It was the cleanest round I've every seen. Most expensive, too, as I had to the $5 fee for leaving stuff in your pockets...my family put this rule in place as the kids do there own laundry, and fight about the mess the others leave behind when the next one goes to do theirs. Anyway, it shot fine too the next time out. It was a factory .45 ACP round. It didn't go through the dryer.

Fyodor
04-29-2014, 07:23 AM
Comment on earlier post:

You wouldn't even need clothes with it to cancel out the noise: It's actually very quiet to wash cases. IF you put them inside some sort of "bag" and close it. And you shouldn't wash thousands of cases at once.

Whoever is afraid of primer residue: deprime first.

jcwit
04-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Comment on earlier post:

You wouldn't even need clothes with it to cancel out the noise: It's actually very quiet to wash cases. IF you put them inside some sort of "bag" and close it. And you shouldn't wash thousands of cases at once.

Whoever is afraid of primer residue: deprime first.

Primer residue is still left in the case walls.

r1kk1
04-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Just curious if anyone has their lead levels checked as part of their routine physical. I've noticed quite a few insurance don't cover this and it's additional expense. My wife and I do. So far so good.
I have not seen a trending pattern up or down as my levels have been very consistent. I do cast outside, really hate indoor shooting and wear a N95 mask when emptying the vibrating tumbler as well as latex free gloves when loading, changing oil, etc.

I can see where Vaquero and jcwit are coming from.

Take care

r1kk1

Fyodor
04-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Primer residue is still left in the case walls.

Not as much as in the primer itself.

When you want to be shielded from lead, mercury and all other stuff that in a hundred years might accumulate in a way to harm you, stop shooting.

Edit:
Cleaning brass in a tumbler, where all that dirt is ground to ultra fine powders and distributed into the air is much worse for your health.

seagiant
04-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Hi,
Thanks fellas! This was entertaining and educational. I have a complete physical every year. Just had one and never heard about lead being tested? I admit I take no real precautions when casting except making sure of air circulation to the outside! I do not clean cases in a washer! Just doesn't seem right!

W.R.Buchanan
04-29-2014, 11:30 PM
OK guys this has gotten out of hand.

First, my mother died at age 89 in January of last year from old age. She was blind, and had alzheimers, and at the very end complete contracture (complete body Charlie horse) She was put on Hospice which I now know is the polite word for Euthanasia by Morphine. A few days later she was gone. She lived a long and productive life.

The washer was sold recently at her estate sale to a bunch of Gypsies (yes real live Gypsies) who said they were shipping it and the dryer to Egypt! The Condors are safe!

I don't see anything wrong with this and you's guys can debate the pros and cons of it til the cows come home,,, Common sense tells me it causes no harm to anything. Besides I am talking about shotgun hulls and I size and deprime them before washing them so there is no spent primers in the mix. Simply burnt powder residue.

Since I sold the washer, I now don't have a place to wash my hulls. In fact I am selling the house in two weeks and the new owners probably won't let me use their new washer either. My wife's new washer is one of the new front loaders and there isn't enough water to clean anything right,,, so that's out.

I was looking at one of the very cool Lowe's Cement Mixers with the plastic bowl today. With it, I could wash Shotgun hulls with soap and water, Brass with SS pins , or just use plain walnut hulls and Nu Finish to tumble large quantities. I see it being able to do a full 5 gallon bucket full of brass in one swipe.

That way I can put everyone's mind to rest and it will only cost me $299.95+ tax.

Can I have everyone's agreement on this solution?

Randy

Greg: Isn't the real reason you wouldn't do this, because your wife would kick your **** if you did it?

Fyodor
04-30-2014, 12:22 AM
Front loaders do work very well, there haven't been any top loaders in Europe for decades. You just need to put fewer cases in there. I wash about 2 to 3 hundred .38spl at a time.

jcwit
04-30-2014, 09:43 AM
My Dad died at the age of 90, smoked since the age of 12 he claimed.

Did not die from cancer, died from a broken heart when Mom passed.

Does that mean smoking is safe?

Fyodor
04-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Do you dry tumble cases?

jcwit
04-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Do you dry tumble cases?

Yes I do, with mineral spirits and a used dryer towel used outside.

I also have my heavy metals tested twice a year now as my Dr. at the VA now runs complete blood scans & physical twice a year.

As I've said earlier, I do think the government scare over lead is way overblown, but I see no reason for people to push their luck, so to put it, especially when it comes to other members of their family or other unknown people.

If you do not think the safety aspects of dealing with lead aren't worth it, then how bout doing away with the 4 rules of gun handling also, and just say folks should be careful, as we used to do.

No one yet has claimed they have tested a washer used in the cleaning of brass, reply's are only their opinions that they claim its safe. Only when a test is made will we actually for a certain.

Maximumbob54
04-30-2014, 12:58 PM
I said it damaged my washer and it did. I dropped a couple hundred cases into two small zipper laundry bags and then double bagged them as I was just sure one bag would spill and I would be picking them out case by case. They didn't rupture but they sure dinged the heck out of the stailess steel drum. It is a front loader though. I did them on the light short load and then I did an empty load with soap just to clean the machine. I guess I can take a picture if everyone needs to see the damage to believe me that it could happen.

44Vaquero
04-30-2014, 01:44 PM
jcwit:

Why do you feel the need to resort to exaggerated hyperbole such as this: "If you do not think the safety aspects of dealing with lead aren't worth it, then how bout doing away with the 4 rules of gun handling also, and just say folks should be careful, as we used to do!"

It adds nothing to further the actual conversation and just muddies the water and detracts from the overall point you are attempting to present.

" reply's are only their opinions that they claim its safe"

You have also not provided any information to the contrary other then your own opinion?

"As I've said earlier, I do think the government scare over lead is way overblown, but I see no reason for people to push their luck, so to put it, especially when it comes to other members of their family or other unknown people."

Now you are back peddling and invoking an emotional plea to protect others. Seriously, you need to pick one side of the fence or the other? Why such a shrill defense of your position if the Government position is all hype?

seagiant
04-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Greg: Isn't the real reason you wouldn't do this, because your wife would kick your **** if you did it?

Hi Randy,
Correct Sir! My wife being Puerto Rican and of Castilian Blood originally from Valencia,Espana I want my you know what's to stay right where they have been these past 58 years! Hasta la vista!

jcwit
04-30-2014, 02:58 PM
jcwit:

Why do you feel the need to resort to exaggerated hyperbole such as this: "If you do not think the safety aspects of dealing with lead aren't worth it, then how bout doing away with the 4 rules of gun handling also, and just say folks should be careful, as we used to do!"

It adds nothing to further the actual conversation and just muddies the water and detracts from the overall point you are attempting to present.

" reply's are only their opinions that they claim its safe"

You have also not provided any information to the contrary other then your own opinion?

"As I've said earlier, I do think the government scare over lead is way overblown, but I see no reason for people to push their luck, so to put it, especially when it comes to other members of their family or other unknown people."

Now you are back peddling and invoking an emotional plea to protect others. Seriously, you need to pick one side of the fence or the other? Why such a shrill defense of your position if the Government position is all hype?

If and when you or someone tests a washer for lead immediately after washing brass cases, then and only then will we know whether the use of a family's washer to clean brass is safe.

Till then it is only opinion.

You dislike my posts and as you call it "exaggerated hyperbole" test a washer, or skip over and do not read my posts. Your option.

Neither have you, do a test.

Furthermore with your EPA past and the EPA's past, Really leaves me to question their and your opinion.

44Vaquero
04-30-2014, 04:10 PM
jcwit,

It's clear that no amount of personnel experience, empirical evidence or scientific studies would assuage you from your opinion. The primary reason being you had your mind made up well before this thread was ever started. I could very easily pick up lead test swabs @ Home Depot and either prove or disprove this issue. However, Given your recalcitrant position that you have staked out you might readily dismiss any findings contrary to your established opinion as not scientific enough for you?

Let's be clear about one thing the "exaggerated hyperbole" that I spoke of was this single statement: "If you do not think the safety aspects of dealing with lead aren't worth it, then how bout doing away with the 4 rules of gun handling also, and just say folks should be careful, as we used to do!"

It's just specious to make absurd comments like that!

jcwit
04-30-2014, 05:08 PM
44Vaquero, so do a test, prove me wrong, I'll accept the findings.

No one including you have even attempted or offered to do that.

It's just specious to make absurd comments like that!

No more absurd than ignoring the health hazards of lead and not knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that washing fired brass casings in ones washer is safe.

Simply put! PROVE IT!

Till you or someone does it's nothing but opinions.

dragon813gt
04-30-2014, 05:43 PM
I wish I had a junk washer to try this out and then test it. Unfortunately I don't and I'm not about to use a high end front loader, that I wash the families clothes in, to run the test. I really want to know what the answer is.

jcwit
04-30-2014, 05:51 PM
I wish I had a junk washer to try this out and then test it. Unfortunately I don't and I'm not about to use a high end front loader, that I wash the families clothes in, to run the test. I really want to know what the answer is.

Yes it would. Someone should run a real test, and not just one with 5 pcs of brass. A test with what would be a standard amount, whatever that is , but a quantity of some substance.

If I'm proved wrong I'll state the error of my ways.

jsab9191
04-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Time to re-evaluate your priorities guys if your cleaning your brass in the families washing machine. Tumblers are $49. , why risk it ?

gwpercle
04-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Cool guys! That tells me what I needed to know. I like the bags idea for sure. My neighbors give me washers sometimes so I was kinda hoping to snag one and tumble brass with it lol.
Alright, love it.
'Justin J
Your neighbors give you washers sometimes.....I can honestly say I've never seen that comment posted before...and I'm not going to ask WHY they give you washers sometimes.
There is a lot of things in life I just don't understand...
Gary

Docjames
04-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Your neighbors give you washers sometimes.....I can honestly say I've never seen that comment posted before...and I'm not going to ask WHY they give you washers sometimes.
There is a lot of things in life I just don't understand...
Gary

It's hard to move a washing machine in a hurry and most tenants we have need to move out quickly because of a violation or past due rent. Often times they have a washer and dryer waiting at the next place and can't store theirs. Idk it's happened 3 times in 2 years. I got a good dishwasher once but someone stole it. I hate the city btw.

MT Chambers
04-30-2014, 11:17 PM
Why is it that someone is always wanting to put something really dumb in their washing machine? It's either cases, loaded rounds, wooden stocks, or guns themselves, I don't get it.

W.R.Buchanan
05-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Mt Chambers: My cats must go thru an open door. It matters not that they just came in a door, if another door is open, it must be gone thru.

We have also experienced the "it is raining out the front door, but maybe it's not raining out the back door," phenomenon.

Maybe open washers have the same attraction.

Our cats operate on a daily basis. IE; nothing is retained from yesterday. If you were mad at one cat yesterday, today is a brand new day and the slate is wiped clean. (kind of like the Attaboy game)

We say its a brand new day for Feeps. (Big Cat) It is pointless to harbor resentment for an animal who thinks everyday is a new day and the past does not exist. Blame is meaningless.

It never ceases to amaze me, the amount of indignation we can generate with a simple comment.

Luckily tomorrow will be a new day. :mrgreen:

Randy

Greg: Does she beat you frequently?

This is "Feeps" :mrgreen:

seagiant
05-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Greg: Does she beat you frequently?

Hi Randy,
Only on a daily basis!!!

big bore 99
08-21-2014, 10:54 PM
I watched a you tube video earlier about cleaning brass in the washing machine. I think it he used a double cloth bag for some pistol cases. It looked like it might work so I knocked the primers out of some of my 45-70 cases and threw a handful in with my clothes. They came out nice and clean. I'm not concerned about the possible lead contamination, but if anyone is, just don't do it. I would only guess that most of it goes out with the drain water. Seems safer and more convenient than breathing tumbler dust. Only my opinion.

Fyodor
08-22-2014, 02:07 AM
Regarding lead contamination:

I told a friend about these concerns. He's been washing tens of thousands of casings within the last 5 years (he loads and casts for 4 CAS shooters), with his regular cloths, not seperate. His wife never had problems with him washing the cases, but usually is very concerned about health issues, took him to the doctor's, and both hat their blood tested for lead. Both are far below dangerous values. He's got slightly higher than normal values, probably because he's casting tons of lead and handles the bullets when reloading, her values are within the tolerances for local standard lead value. All lead he has in his system derives from casting and reloading, her values are just normal. Obviously no lead has been absorbed from the washed cases via the cloths.

Swede 45
08-22-2014, 03:44 AM
I use an old frontloader (broken heater) that I keep in the garage for tumbling large quantities of dirty brass..about 2000 9mm at a time.
10 liters of hot water from the tap poured in through the detergent intake via a bucket, as i have no water connection in my garage.
The bucket is then used to collect the drainwater, (no drain in the garage either).
I use a industrial wettumbling brasscleaner added to the water, cleans any and makes the brass realy shiny.

I run the machine at its "wool" cycle, that just rocks the drum gentle back and forth, with just a few slow complete turns, and no spin cycle.
I dont use any bags or such, just toss the brass in the drum and scoop them out with my hands when done, to rinse in a bucket of clean water with one drop of regular dishwashing detergent to break watersurface tension. That makes it easier to shake out the water out of bottleneck cases..

Once I forgot to set the gentle wool and no spinning cycle.. :roll: that machine jumped all over the garage as long as the cord allowed!

big bore 99
08-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Swede 45- Curious about the industrial brass cleaner you used. Can you share any info about it?
Thanks.

EddieNFL
08-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Once upon a time a friend had the idea of using the dryer to tumble brass. He filled a cloth bag with brass and corn cob media. Of course the bag unties itself and destroyed the dryer.

As punishment his wife bought ALL new appliances.

kbstenberg
08-24-2014, 10:09 AM
I haven't read the other comments. So please excuse me if I repeat another thread.
I use an old clothes drier that was thrown out. I gutted everything except for the motor, the drum, and the belt that turns the drum.
Inside of the drum I made 3 supports that firm holds a permanent 5 gal. bucket in the center of the drum. I then re-mounted the motor/ belt/ drum with bucket back into the body of the drier. I keep the drier in my pole barn so the noise doesn't bother my wife.
I use a second 5 gal. bucket to clean my brass. I found a neat bucket at the dump that has a screw on lid, that I put 3 small aluminum angle strips in the bucket to tumble the brass. I fill the bucket with brass/ media/ water, put it inside the mounted bucket and let it spin. Kevin

44Vaquero
08-24-2014, 01:49 PM
How about an old Dryer? Remove the fins from inside disable the heating element/disconnect gas etc. Place SS pins and bucket inside and run! Simple and effective! This is about the simplest hi-capacity wet tumbler I have ever seen!

Swede 45
08-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Bigbore: Sorry for not replying.. been away ..
The compound is caller LQ-9 and I bought it from a Swedish company that tumble industrial components and parts. (I´m located in Sweden)
There´s probably something similar, but under a different name in the US?
Mixes 1-100 in water.. and works great as solution for wet tumbling.. probably even faster/better with SS pins?