PDA

View Full Version : Be careful on Armslist

MrWolf
04-24-2014, 09:21 AM
I have been looking for an 1894 357 and saw a nice one for $700 on Armslist. Luckily I remembered seeing the picture of that gun during another search for a different price from a different seller also on Armslist. Scammers were using the same pictures of the same gun. I will state that the Armslist folks acted quickly to mark the post as a scam. As they say buyer beware. I also posted this on MarlinOwners.

Ron

pietro
04-24-2014, 09:39 AM

FWIW, there's been multiple reports, on several gun-related forum's, about fraudulant sellers on Armslist.

jakharath
04-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Texas Gun Trader is the same way.

Trinidad Bill
04-24-2014, 11:49 AM
I had one a couple of years ago on an AAC 300 Blackout upper. The price was just too good to be true and you know what they say about that. Ferreted them out and reported them. Ever since I have been leery of anything on Armslist.

seaboltm
04-24-2014, 11:57 AM
I was about to spring for a BRNO 21 rifle this year. Asked for a couple of specific pictures. The "seller" couldn't provide them. The item was listed in California, but he wanted me to send the money to Chicago. Armslist was fast to react, but there don't seem to be enough controls.

6pt-sika
04-24-2014, 12:31 PM
I have been buying and selling alot on Gunbroker and Auctionarms for the last 10 years . The biggest thing I use to decide whether the person is real or not is by the feedback . And thats provided the paerson has say 75 or more feedback entries .

When I was just buying I used both sites . Now that I sell more then I buy online I use Gunbroker exclusively .

About 7 to 10 years ago there was an issue on Gunbroker with a guy selling high dollar old Winchester levers mostly 1886 guns . Anyway he was copying others pics on the net and using them to post for sale . And as mentioned before this guy was in one state asking monies to be sent to another state and it was all finally figured out the actual person was in Europe somewhere (if memory serves he was in the UK). Now these weren't $600 items but rather 6-10 thousand items .

Beagle333
04-24-2014, 12:40 PM
I have gotten a few really good deals on Armslist (estate sale guns). I guess I was lucky. :grin:

jonas302
04-24-2014, 01:51 PM
I always though of armslist as local like craigslist drive over and look at it as they really don't have any information on the sellers

snaketail
04-24-2014, 01:58 PM
I just received a Winchester 94 that I bought through GunBroker. When it arrived it was missing the front sight! "Must have fallen off when I was packing it," he said.

MrWolf
04-24-2014, 02:08 PM
^^ ouch. Guess I will find out next week as I did purchase a Marlin 1894 .45 that showed some scratches. Bought from an FFL so hopefully will be ok. Problem living in NJ is with such an anti-gun state, the only way to find a deal locally is basically to hear from a friend of a friend. Speaking of that, if anyone hears of a reasonably priced 1894 357, keep me in mind :coffee:

missionary5155
04-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Greetings
With Armslist I have pretty much decided if I cannot see it FTF then I ask the seller to send additional photos of specific areas (close up of muzzle and barrel markings). So far only one would comply.
Mike in Peru