PDA

View Full Version : Ideal BP measure with pic

brudford
04-24-2014, 08:39 AM
With all the debate about are plastic or steel measures ok to use for BP , I really considered using my Lee measure until I read a post about the old Ideal No. 5 measure that was designed for BP use . I paid 54.00$ which included shipping . I had to make a drop tube from 1/2 " OD cooper tubing . It was nice to see a product that was once made in America with such quality ! I'am really not sure how old it is , however it throws very accurate BP charges and is easy to adjust . Just a side note, at first I really wanted the Hornaday BP measure and could not find one . I called Hornaday and they stated they were
ceasing production on that item to concentrate on making componets for the HOARDES and SCUM BAG profiteers on Gun Broker . Well they really did not say that , but they have stop production on many items to concentrate on making componets . To my fellow shooters stop hoarding and buying from the internet auction sites and the shortages will go away . We have a new Field and Stream here in Cranberry Twp. PA and the guy behind the counter told me it is the same scum bags waiting in line every week to buy some 22 LR and then that evening it is up for auction on Gun Broker .

brudford
04-24-2014, 01:46 PM
As I understand Lyman purchased the Ideal Co. sometime in the 1920's and kept the Ideal Logo on much of the products until the 1960's ? Could my powder measure have been manufactured as late as the 1950's- 1960's ?

mold maker
04-24-2014, 02:36 PM
I started loading in the 60s with one (2nd handed) of those. I traded it to Lyman to put in a display. I got a (then) modern Lyman PM for it. At the same time I traded my Ideal lube sizer for a Lyman 450.
I have since replaced them both. I now have everything back, but the PM clamp.

jrmartin1964
04-24-2014, 07:02 PM
The No.5 was introduced in 1904, and was finally discontinued sometime in the 1940s. Those marked "New Haven, Conn" were produced from 1904 until at least 1915 (when John Barlow sold Ideal to Marlin), and possibly as late as 1925 (when Lyman purchased Ideal). Those marked "Middlefield, Conn" were produced by Lyman beginning 1925and were still being offered for sale as late as 1946. The No.5 was replaced by the No.55 in 1947.

Jim

Some good information (and photos) here:
55project.com/photo-arch.html

brudford
04-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Good info guys . So since mine has New Haven Conn. it was manufactured between 1904-1915. and maybe as late as 1925 ? So mine could of been made by either the actual Ideal company , Marlin or layman ? Any real way to tell .

CanoeRoller
04-27-2014, 08:00 PM
I have used mine for BP for the last 20 years or more. Great little measure.

John Boy
04-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Talk about accuracy of the Ideal/Lyman #5 charger ... I have been using one of mine of late to charge 22LR cases with Swiss Null-B. Set the slide to drop 4.5grs - crank the handle and exactly 4.5grs every time!
I can't get the same consistent drop with my B&M

bigted
04-28-2014, 01:40 PM
my RCBS that I bought in the 70's is still doing well and it drops exactly ... and dependent on how I turn the drum ... to 2 10ths every time.

all the drum type powder drops will be accurate to very close tolerances if the operator gets a system down to consistently operate the drum in the exact same fashion each time.

my little powder drop for handguns used to drop very precise drops as well but it was dependent on the same consistency for the accurate drops.

I believe that all can be accurate if operated properly ... however ... CONGRATS on landing such a cool tool from yesteryear.