PDA

View Full Version : Got my dies from lathesmith

floydboy
04-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Got a couple of dies and the die removal tool from lathesmith yesterday for my new to me Star lube sizer. The workmanship is excellent as was the customer service. Will look nowhere else for my sizing die needs in the future. Chris is top shelf.

Thanks,,,Floyd

bbqncigars
04-25-2014, 02:32 AM
As a former machinist, I can say that Chris' work is impressive. If you do different boolits with your Star, then I would advise you to get one of his punches and set-screwed locknuts for each boolit. It makes it sooo easy to reconfigure the machine for different boolits.

floydboy
04-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Already did that with my first order. Got some extra nuts with setscrews to go on the dies that came with the press. It really does simplify things.

Thanks,,,Floyd

enfieldphile
04-29-2014, 04:01 PM
I got my second order from Chris last week. I forgot to order a nut w/ setscrew to go on the punch I ordered. DOH!

Here's what I did. I got a plain nut from Home Depot. I drilled it open so it would just barely slide on the threaded punch shank. Then I D&T'ed a hole in the side of the nut for a 6/32 Allen screw. I put a piece of lead shot under the Allen screw. The nut really doesn't need threads. The punch shank is threaded. The punch only needs to be threaded in finger tight.

Amazing what a middle-age reprobate can up with! ;)

Already did that with my first order. Got some extra nuts with setscrews to go on the dies that came with the press. It really does simplify things.

Thanks,,,Floyd

ssnow
04-30-2014, 09:51 AM
There is an old saying that says "You get what you pay for" and it's usually true. Better products simply cost more. Usually :)

In this case, it's not true, because Chris makes the best dies I have ever seen, and does it at a better price. Win-Win :)

The flip side of the old saying is that you pay for what you get.....one way or the other. If you are considering dies, do yourself a favor and get them from Chris. You'll be glad you did.

cbrick
04-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Dies for the Star certainly can be set up that way but there is a downside. If you have one mold in a given caliber and the boolits sized to XX and you set up the die in this manner all is good. However as in my case with 70+ molds, 15+ in 30 caliber alone and several 30 cal firearms to shoot them I would need a die/punch for each possible combination of number of and location of lube grooves & then duplicate each of those dies yet again for each sizing diameter. Just not very practical.

Rick