PDA

View Full Version : A.C.E/BadgerEdd 44-240-WFN from the Rapid Group Buy

357maximum
04-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Had a mostly calm afternoon today so I took the Ruger 44Carbine outback and shot some groups and some steel using this most exccelent design by BadgerEdd and nicely cut by Josh at A.C.E.

Load was:
A.C.E 44-240-WFN made of waterdropped 50/50 COWW/Lead Pipe weighing 250.4 grains ready to fly.
2X fired WIN 44mag brass
23.3 Grains of H110
Fed GM155M sparkplug
MML+5% Ivory was the boolit lube used today.
I am guessing the speed to be 1850-1900 fps out of my old style Ruger 44 carbine.

The picture shows two -5 shot and 2- 10 shot groups shot at 100 yards. The upper left group was shot after I brought the gun in and took a little spring pressure off from the trigger return springs, I need to lighten them a bit more as it really seemed to help take some of "ME" out of the equation. I was able to keep about 95% of the shots on a 5x5 steel plate at 250 yards when I got tired of poking holes in paper. My 4x4 plate at 100 yards was never missed and was zero challenge. All in all an excellent afternoon spent in the back yard. THANK YOU EDD AN JOSH.....MUCH APPRECIATE ALL THAT WAS DONE FOR THE MEMBERS HERE THAT GOT IN ON THIS BUY. THANK YOU

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/44-240003_zps7658e92d.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/357maximum/media/44-240003_zps7658e92d.jpg.html)

MostlyOnThePaper
04-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Having seen you shoot Mike, I think there's a whole lot of YOU in it shooting nice tight groups. I gotta start practicing more...

I also need to see if I bought .44 dies yet, and what safe place I stashed them in. I'm usually MUCH better at hiding things than finding them.

One of these years I'll find me one of those ruger carbines, always thought they were pretty neat.

Randy

DougGuy
04-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Poor ol' hog wouldn't stand a chance against gun or shooter!

357maximum
04-23-2014, 11:34 PM
Randy

My Mom has piled up quite a few deer with her 44carbine, so I had a pretty good place to start in the data department thanks to Dad's reloading logs for them heathen bullets. This trigger is better now, tore it down and lightened it some more after the original post. When one gets used to good triggers the stiff ones make good groups a bit tougher. Good luck on the die search, things can hide pretty good sometimes.

Dougguy
Not much of a pig hunter (we do not have many of them despite what the DNR claims), but if I ever go after them this 44MAG would be one of my top choices after today's playin. Mr whitetail will have to pose for a testing dummy sometime this fall I think.

Dutch4122
04-24-2014, 06:30 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!

I hope it shoots that well out of my Marlin 1894ss.:mrgreen:

BABore
04-24-2014, 09:35 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!

It likely will. Especially when your face is no longer beet red and you quit pounding the bench top.:popcorn:
Good shooting Mike. Do you plan to try out 300 M-P as well? Might be a good fit.

357maximum
04-24-2014, 11:14 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!

I can see no reason why it shouldn't, seeing's how you bought the bigger diameter...fit it and enjoy. :smile:

357maximum
04-24-2014, 11:39 AM
It likely will. Especially when your face is no longer beet red and you quit pounding the bench top.:popcorn:
Good shooting Mike. Do you plan to try out 300 M-P as well? Might be a good fit.

1. :lol: That instance left an impression on your brain about like a 4ton phonagraph needle didn't it? :lol:

2. MP300 will get tried, eventually. I want to be on top of chronagraph when I work that powder however. My Dad tried it in my Mom's 44carbine and thought it ejected the brass a bit too violently. He could not tell me whether it was due to EXTRA FPS or if it was merely more port pressure...he never chronied it and abandoned the test. Time will tell.

Dutch4122
04-24-2014, 05:33 PM

Are you sure it was the problems I was having with the rifle/scope mount; or was it the guy yelling disparaging remarks from the cheap seats loud enough for Edd's neighbors to hear over the gunfire?:redneck:

357maximum
04-24-2014, 06:43 PM
I have a solution for all that witnessed/enjoyed/provoked the little "episode" in question. Seeing as how Bruce really enjoyed the show so much he should pay a little bit for the "show". I am in for a bit too, as I reluctantly admit it was a little bit funny, once my confusion broke and I realized what the aitch was goin on. Heck if all that were present would pony up a few bucks each...we could buy Matt an inch pound tourque wrench and a few sandbags so that said incident never happens again. Well at least not for the same reasons.

MostlyOnThePaper
04-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Was I there for this incident, or was that on Sunday?

357maximum
04-24-2014, 06:52 PM

You must have missed it Randy, it's one of them hard to forget -mushroom cloud type things. :lol:

Dutch4122
04-24-2014, 09:35 PM

I think you were inside setting up to load a batch for your .32-40 breech seating Ruger #1.

:oops:Definitely not one of my shining moments.

MostlyOnThePaper
04-24-2014, 09:39 PM
I'll have to get the story when I see you, sounds like a good one.

BABore
04-25-2014, 05:21 AM
I'll have to get the story when I see you, sounds like a good one.

Just bring along your tool kit and a few extra long scope mount screws. You can do a little work on Matt's gun while I hide all the sand bags except for the one's Mike's using. We'll break out the peanuts and watch the rerun of the show.[smilie=w::popcorn:

Dutch4122
04-25-2014, 05:42 AM
Just bring along your tool kit and a few extra long scope mount screws. You can do a little work on Matt's gun while I hide all the sand bags except for the one's Mike's using. We'll break out the peanuts and watch the rerun of the show.[smilie=w::popcorn:

I wasn't gonna go there with the "peanut gallery" remarks, but since you opened the door........................:kidding:

Those were really good, by the way.:mrgreen:

Dutch4122
04-25-2014, 05:49 AM
...we could buy Matt an inch pound tourque wrench............................................ ..............

That sounds like a great idea.............& I'll show you both a new use for one you've never seen!:twisted:

Leave it alone before things get too far out of hand is spelled with a red...................

MostlyOnThePaper
04-25-2014, 06:14 AM
Is all this baggage from the handi-rifle? I think I remember it having an issue.

357maximum
04-25-2014, 01:38 PM
I think you were inside setting up to load a batch for your .32-40 breech seating Ruger #1.

:oops:Definitely not one of my shining moments.

Matt

Anyone who has never had such a thing happen to them is simply not HUMAN. I would bet you a five gallon bucket full of loob grooves that I have done it far more often than you. I just generally tend to go off alone and kick a tree, throw a wrench or something, where fellas with sick and twisted senses of humor cannot see me. That was your only mistake.

...promising out loud to letting it rest is spelled with a GREEN :lol:

Hardcast416taylor
04-25-2014, 02:07 PM
....and to think that my eye surgery kept me from attending that shoot session??? Story of my life I guess..hearing about what I missed. Don`t worry Matt, I still like you!Robert

357maximum
04-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Robert

Some people actually like someone more when they show they is human. Emotionless souls freak me out a bit. Guess that's why I prefer dogs over cats. Dogs are always glad to see you and one never knows where a cat's mind is at.

Mike

badgeredd
04-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Just a tad bit of thread drift, isn't it?

Edd

357maximum
04-26-2014, 01:34 AM
Just a tad bit of thread drift, isn't it?

Edd

Since when was that out of norm for these here parts? BTW...I got my lawn tractor fixed.....&&*&%^&&*( limit switch....CAUTION my mower will try to start in gear now. :lol:

DR Owl Creek
04-30-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm starting to kinda like you guys, even if you are from that state up north.

Dutch4122
04-30-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm starting to kinda like you guys, even if you are from that state up north.

You should see us when the whole group is together, nobody's safe! Lord knows I've taken my share of well deserved "humor." Although wives & children are out of bounds & off limits.:mrgreen:

Jailer
04-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Oh man I missed that episode too.

Gonna hafta make plans to stay longer this year so I can witness a fit fer myself. I hear they are pretty entertaining. :mrgreen:

Back on topic, Mike what would a guy hafta do to borrow a couple of those to try in the 445? Then again maybe I shouldn't, I might regret not getting in on the group buy if I do.

MostlyOnThePaper
04-30-2014, 08:27 PM
He's got some extras, shoot 338 a pm.

Randy

357maximum
05-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Oh man I missed that episode too.

Gonna hafta make plans to stay longer this year so I can witness a fit fer myself. I hear they are pretty entertaining. :mrgreen:

Back on topic, Mike what would a guy hafta do to borrow a couple of those to try in the 445? Then again maybe I shouldn't, I might regret not getting in on the group buy if I do.

Well seeing as that mould resides only about 12 miles from your door I am a bettin that you can make all you want with the mould anytime you like.

357maximum
05-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Went to Jailers with some sample boolits and just so everyone knows...this boolit will not work in a DanWesson 445 supermag revolver. The throating in Jailers revolver required the boolit be seated waaay to deep, like button nosed wadcutter deep....almost could have used 44Mag brass to make it useable in fact.

Jailer
05-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Yup, I was curious to see if it would shoot good in my revolver after seeing how well it worked for Mike but it was a no go.