PDA

View Full Version : Bargains exist. Maybe?

dbosman
04-23-2014, 06:14 PM
If you're the adventurous type and willing to risk some time, down the line, arguing - go to the large e auction site and search for RCBS 9361 Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Master Reloading Kit

Click the Buy It Now option, then sort by lowest price.
They show 4 left, at $74.00 each, free shipping from Hong Kong.

pressonregardless
04-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Not the ones being offered by the seller named 'baseballbasher1182' with (0 ) feedback? This won't end well.

woodsxdragon
04-23-2014, 07:07 PM
I never buy anything from overseas on little e big b. I've gotten screwed too many times. Any time I search I set it to USA only and auction .

Skunk1
04-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Saw that this morning and about @&$? My pants. Then reality set in and I saw Hong Kong. Big bummer and I was only up for 20 mins.

LUBEDUDE
04-24-2014, 05:01 AM
I'm with WD, I don't go beyond the pond either. May miss out, but not worth the risk, plus I figure it's knock off trash most of the time as well, if anything at all.

bedbugbilly
04-24-2014, 08:40 AM
I have done a lot on that site over the years - both buying and selling. I agree with the others as to the country of origin. I have only taken a chance on buying from that location twice - the first time ended up being a counterfeit item - the second time the quality was very VERY poor - neither of the two items were gun related. I have a stung feeling that these would be "knock offs" as well . . . and probably poor ones at that. It's pretty easy to get something like that (a genuine article) and then use it for patterns . . . and once you have it, if you ever get it . . . . how are you ever going to get a satisfactory resolution? Sometimes it's bad enough dealing with people / places in this country . . . .

jcwit
04-24-2014, 08:58 AM
I buy many things from overseas, not only from Europe but from the East, China, the Philippines, etc. Leather wallets & accessories, batteries, flashlights, small electronics, etc. Have yet to have any issues with a few hundred purchases. However I do take feedback into account.

As far as the issue of being a knock-off goes, does it bother you to buy/shop here in the States with all the foreign made goods? And did not RCBS at one time have some of their castings cast in china?

Next time you're in a store that carries camera's, check the country of origin for some of the best brands of cameras.

jcwit
04-24-2014, 09:26 AM
The feed back doesn't look to good does it?

Kent Fowler
04-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Listing says someone has bought one. I suspect that would be the sellers "shill".

dbosman
04-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Actually, that buyer would be me. I may turn out to be shrill. ;)
I couldn't resist.
It's on a credit card via PayPal and given past dealings with PayPal, I won't be terribly hurt if I have to do a charge back and they get upset. The ad lists the item with eBay's money back guarantee. We'll see.
Allegedly shipped, but I never get a tracking number on shipments from China. Stuff just shows up.
I've bought glassware for my aquariums and LED electronics from China. Heck, that's where it's made.

deepwater
04-24-2014, 01:03 PM
I purchased a strand of gold toned Akoya pearls on EB from Hong Kong. They were SPRAY PAINTED!
I filed a report with customer service and did receive a refund and freight both ways. Last time I will do that.
I have had good luck getting things from GB and Western Europe.

deepwater

bedbugbilly
04-25-2014, 09:19 AM
jcwit - actually, it does bother me to shop here in the States and see so many things that are made overseas that used to be made here . . . but then, I'm an old fart. And, I'm well aware of where cameras are produced . . . .

I have no problem with anybody buying what they want to, where they want to . . that's their option. What bothers me is going to a store here . . . buying something . . . and having to take it back because it doesn't work. Recently, I purchased some security light timers . . . made in the "deep south" - i.e. out of this country . . . . it took three trips back to get one that worked. One was assembled upside down . . . one package of two were both faulty. Much of the electrical wiring accessories and wire is now being made in the "deep south" . . . . yes, it can be made cheaper and it gives jobs to those in the country where it is being made . . . but I get tired of buying things, getting on the job and finding that there are problems. I recently bought three bulk packages of "box connectors" for wiring - got on the job and most had the nut cross threaded on them which required me to use two sets of channel locks to get the nut off so I could use them. Sorry, but "time is money" to me just like everyone else. The same goes for such things as galvanized pipe fittings, etc. Most are now being made in China. Once you use them, they are yours. Unfortunately, they are not always in spec and I have run across many that are out of round, poorly threaded, etc. and of course they are worthless unless you like a lot of leaks in your plumbing.

Not everything from overseas is faulty . . . and I think we can all agree on that. Alll I can speak of is from my own experiences which weren't that good. Yes, the particular auction site mentioned does have some safeguards . . . but they are not foolproof. I have sold and purchased on there for years. For the most part, I have had very good experiences. I have had several though that were "non paying" and several with other issues in regards to items I shipped across the border who were out and out fraudulent buyers out to get something for nothing. Again, I'm glad your experiences have been positive ones. It's impossible to buy things that aren't made in foreign countries . . . . but I'm old enough to remember when most things were made in this country . . . and they were quality things that lasted.

Like anything else . . . it's "buyer beware".

dbosman - I hope it all goes well for you and you are happy with it once you get the press. Please let us know when you get it and how it works out for you. Thanks!

jcwit
04-25-2014, 12:01 PM
jcwit - actually, it does bother me to shop here in the States and see so many things that are made overseas that used to be made here . . . but then, I'm an old fart. And, I'm well aware of where cameras are produced . . . .

I have no problem with anybody buying what they want to, where they want to . . that's their option.

Understood, but what is my experience and I'll use a wallet as an example.

Go to the store and shop for a quality wallet. Lucky to find one in the price range of $15/$20 bucks. Made in China BTW

Go and check out E-Bay and find leather wallets with even higher quality for approx. $5.00 with free shipping direct from China.

Now guess who get the business.

With that said I'm also a proud owner of a Henry rifle, and have just purchased a SCCY automatic. Both made here with U.S. components.

brow_tines
04-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Actually, that buyer would be me. I may turn out to be shrill. ;)
I couldn't resist.
It's on a credit card via PayPal and given past dealings with PayPal, I won't be terribly hurt if I have to do a charge back and they get upset. The ad lists the item with eBay's money back guarantee. We'll see.
Allegedly shipped, but I never get a tracking number on shipments from China. Stuff just shows up.
I've bought glassware for my aquariums and LED electronics from China. Heck, that's where it's made.

Any updates ?

dbosman
04-28-2014, 04:03 PM
I got email saying it had shipped. Estimated delivery date is Wed. May. 14 - Wed. Jun. 11.
That's reasonable for over seas shipping. Particularly free shipping. Past orders of glassware and electronics have arrived on day 14 or day 21.

Any updates ?