PDA

View Full Version : need a uberti 1873 cattleman reviews

jballs918
01-05-2008, 03:24 AM
well tax season is upon me and i want to pick up another 6 shooter. well this time i want to get a .357/38 in a single action. well i have looked at alot of guns and i have found the uberi 1873 cattleman hombre. i found one at basspro for 300 band new. well hear is what i need to know if anyone out there has one of these. caliber really doesn't matter. first off this met become a cowboy action gun as i have all the casting and reloading stuff for this gun. i was wondering if this gun would be able to stand up to the amount of shoting that would be done with it. im looking ot put alot of rounds out of it and also does and one know if wadcutters would work for it. my main concern is that is this a good quality gun or should i go lets say for a ruger. i have looked at several rugers and i know they make a good gun, but i really like the size and the feel of the cattleman alot better. so please pipe up if you got something silimar to what im looking for. also i have made a 38 load for my gp100. i'm using a 158 grain rf mold over 4 grains of unique. now if i need to change this load lets say higher will the gun be able to also handle it. again guys thanks for you time.

jason

9.3X62AL
01-05-2008, 03:52 AM
My only Uberti Cattleman experience was with a 45 Colt x 4-3/4" barrel, and it was a good little revolver. I sold it to another deputy right after I got the Ruger BisHawk, and he still has it and loves it. I ran about 500 rounds through it, and the buyer has probably run a couple thousand himself. You're right, Jason--it is a nice-sized revolver. The Blackhawks are substantially larger and heavier. I didn't exceed 900 FPS with 250 grain castings, and neither does its present owner.

With that in mind, if I had one of these in 357 Magnum I would load it like a Model 19 or 66 S&W, 158 grain bullets at no more than 1250 FPS. This usually corresponds to about 35K PSI pressures, and most modern "book" loading data stops at that point.