PDA

View Full Version : 8X57 Brass Question

jeepvet
04-23-2014, 01:09 PM
I don't really know where to put this thread but since it is a military rifle, sounded like this was a good place.

I pulled the bullets and powder out of about 75 - 8X57 Mauser, corrosive, berdan primed rounds and reloaded them into boxer primed brass. My problem is, what do I do with the old corrosive, berdan primed brass since the primers are unfired? I don't want to pop them in my rifle, can't get them out to scrap and apparently can't sell them because I can't ship them.

Dilemma!!!

Uncle Grinch
04-23-2014, 01:16 PM
I sold mine online right here.

tomme boy
04-23-2014, 01:52 PM
If you are concerned about the primers at the scrapyard, take a torch to them. Just make sure they are not pointed at you as they will pop and fly out.

jeepvet
04-23-2014, 04:00 PM
Would love to sell them but with all the argument on here about whether or not it is legal to ship primed brass I don't want to take the chance. If someone in central Texas is interested in them I would be more than happy to sell or give them away with local pickup. Sure don't want trouble with the feds unless it is for a good cause.

Had not even thought about a torch but sounds good. Good advice about pointing the primers at someone else when you heat them so you don't get hurt. Thought about soaking in old motor oil but didn't know how effective that would be and it would still appear as if the primers were live.

May have close to 100 more in the near future if someone is interested.

GRUMPA
04-23-2014, 04:02 PM
You can ship either UPS or FedEx Ground so long as the box has the ORM-D label on it...

It's shipping something like that USPS that's a NO-NO..

frnkeore
04-23-2014, 04:04 PM
This is a old trick to decap Berdans. Turn a piece of steel to the neck diameter (.320/.321 or so) and long enough tonot hit the case mouth, I'd say 1 1/2". Fill the case with water and hit the plunger with a hammer, they will pop right out.

Frank

jeepvet
04-23-2014, 05:19 PM
This is a old trick to decap Berdans. Turn a piece of steel to the neck diameter (.320/.321 or so) and long enough tonot hit the case mouth, I'd say 1 1/2". Fill the case with water and hit the plunger with a hammer, they will pop right out.

Frank

Tried this once. The rod was probably a little too small but all that happened is I got a bath. The primer never knew I was there.

Bjornb
04-23-2014, 05:23 PM
I sold mine online right here.

And I bought them. Now I enjoy shooting them in a nice restored Turk with both jacketed and cast. The gun gets a thorough cleaning after each outing.

frnkeore
04-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Tried this once. The rod was probably a little too small but all that happened is I got a bath. The primer never knew I was there.

Sorry about the bath but, it will work with the proper fit.

Frank

jeepvet
04-23-2014, 06:24 PM
You can ship either UPS or FedEx Ground so long as the box has the ORM-D label on it...

It's shipping something like that USPS that's a NO-NO..

At the risk of opening old wounds and starting another argument,if I ship UPS Ground or FedEx Ground do I have to pay hazardous shipping for primed brass?

Uncle Grinch
04-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Before I shipped my primed brass, I called the Fedex 800 number and they told me it did not require ORM-D labeling. Try as might, they would not change their mind. I carried it to the shipping counter open and showed it to the man there. He also called and inquired and they told him the same thing.

So that's how I shipped it. Still don't think it was correct, but it was their decision.

BTW... ORM-D has changed to a new label.

Blammer
04-23-2014, 09:41 PM
At the risk of opening old wounds and starting another argument,if I ship UPS Ground or FedEx Ground do I have to pay hazardous shipping for primed brass?

NOPE! no extra charges, just lable it and pay regular shipping rate, usually based on wt of the package.

HARRYMPOPE
04-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Just load and shoot them then clean the bore with appropriate cleaner. I had a box of 3000+ primed FA cases in 30-06 from the 1930's I shot up with the corrosive primers and cast loads. Nothing scary at all and did quite well. I have been usign the brass for over 20 years

True.grit
04-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Just load and shoot them then clean the bore with appropriate cleaner. I had a box of 3000+ primed FA cases in 30-06 from the 1930's I shot up with the corrosive primers and cast loads. Nothing scary at all and did quite well. I have been usign the brass for over 20 years

Now that makes the most sense of all the post's on this thread. Just shoot em. WOW

Seabee1960
04-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Corrosive primers are dangerous to a rifle barrel if and only if you don’t clean properly. I bought a bunch of Berdan primed 8X57mm from a friend and loaded it up as “Zombie Apocolyps” ammo and keep it in the basement with the MRE’s and hand crank radio. I occasionaly break some of it out and shoot it from a pristine 98 Gew then rinse the barrel( you will need a tea kettle, a kitchen funnel and a foot of 3/8 ” plastic tubing) with hot water when I get home then clean and lube as normal. Repeat this prosess two more times on consecutive days and you will be fine. Any primed brass in these trying times is a treasure. Contact me and I will buy it from you if you don’t want it.

Regards,

higgins
04-25-2014, 11:50 PM
It's a good idea not to pop them in your rifle. I did that once with some disassembled ammo. Since there's no pressure to seal the case against the chamber the primer residue, along with the corrosive salts, got into the action, the lug recesses in the receiver, and elsewhere. I ended up locking the cases in vise grips, sticking the case between the boards in a picnic table, and firing the primers with a hammer and punch. Wear glasses and gloves in case a primer flies out of the case.

HARRYMPOPE
04-26-2014, 12:15 AM
If blackpowder guns can be shot and cleaned properly in this day and age so can rifle shooting corrosive ammo.MY Pattern 17 30-06 digested the 3000 primed corrosive cases and i cleaned it at the range with window cleaner and then drowned it with Hoppes #9 and its still perfect.When 8x57 corrosive was under 100 per 1100 rnd case that's all my buddys and i shot and our Mausers also survived.