PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Burris Signature 6x24 back

FISH4BUGS
04-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Burris completely overhauled it no charge. Great warrantee! Lifetime means lifetime even though I am not the orginal owner.
I am going to remount it with Burris rings on Weaver 2 piece mounts on a Rem 700 PSS 308 20"hb 308.......but don't have a bore sighter.
Any tips for getting it close without bore sighting it?

Love Life
04-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Look down the bore, center it on target, lock rifle in. Adjust crosshairs to bullseye....

garym1a2
04-23-2014, 02:20 PM
If it already has a scope on it. Mount a laser on it, adjust laser to current scope point of aim. Put new scope on it and adjust it to the same aimport and you are zeroed.
Easy to do on AR's with extra rails.

FISH4BUGS
04-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Look down the bore, center it on target, lock rifle in. Adjust crosshairs to bullseye....

Ok guys....I don't have a laser, and I have a bare rifle to mount the rings and scope on. I also have the shims that Burris sells just in case the scope is so far off I can't turn the knobs enough to compensate. No bore sighter.
LL: should I take that advice literally or are you jerkin' my gherkin? Just mount it and go?

Love Life
04-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Take the advice literally. 1st off you need to mount the scope correctly. Cheap line levels and a plumb bob will make that super easy. As will some feeler gauges.

Once the scope is mounted, stick the rifle on a bench or in lead slead/vice contraption. Look down the bore until the bullseye or center of target is centered in the bore. Lock the gun in. Then adjust the cross hairs to the bullseye on the target (since your bore is pointing at it). This will rough boresight you and will have you on the paper.

Sensai
04-23-2014, 03:34 PM
No jokin' :-? Any gun that you can see down the bore and have a means of holding still, that's the best way! Even if you have a boresighter, you will wind up closer by centering the crosshairs on what you center the bore on. The further you can see an identifiable target for doing this, the better. Check to see if your scope is optically centered before you start. You can do this with a box that is wide enough for the scope to cross the sides of the box between the adjustment turrets and the end bell(s), about the same width as where your rings will be. Cut two notches in the box sides across from each other. Lay the scope across the box and set one of the crosshairs vertical. Note exactly where the crosshair is on a target object, then rotate the scope 180 degrees so that the same crosshair is vertical on the target. If there is a difference in where the crosshair was on the target, then that crosshair is offset from center. Adjust the turret for that crosshair and repeat the test. If it's worse adjust the turret for that crosshair twice as much in the opposite direction and repeat the test. After you get that crosshair optically centered, do the same thing for tha other crosshair. If it just came from the factory, it's probably pretty close. Now you can test mount your mounts and rings to see if you need to use those shims. Remember that the more adjustment you can make in the mounting system the less you have to make in the scope and that's a good thing. Best Wishes, Gary

RickinTN
04-23-2014, 04:18 PM
They are tellin' you right. A bore sighter with a bolt action rifle is a waste of good money and time and effort.
Rick