PDA

View Full Version : Grease Cookie

stace
01-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Sorry to bring this up again but am new here and trying to get into Paper patching /grease cookie loading
Have a recipe for a grease cookie which has Neatsfoot Oil /Beeswax/Lanolin
What I am trying to work out is what stops the Neatsfoot oil from running in the mix and getting into the powder .I know a OP wad will help but an confused over the oil mix
Should I look at a soap mix
Any help would be appreciated

stace

montana_charlie
01-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Have a recipe for a grease cookie which has Neatsfoot Oil /Beeswax/Lanolin
What I am trying to work out is what stops the Neatsfoot oil from running in the mix and getting into the powder .
Soft bullet lube like SPG should make a good lube cookie...and a substantial wad is needed below it. But, to answer your question...
The amount of beeswax in the mixture is what keeps the oil from running loose, if they are all well-blended while molten...and do not separate as they cool.

Funny thing - your mention of neatsfoot oil reminded me...
I have a 6 ounce chunk of bullet lube I made up a year ago and never tested.
It is 50/50 beeswax and Camp Dry boot waterproofer...with a tablespoon of Mink Oil added.
(I'm pretty sure the Camp Dry has neatsfoot oil in it, and it does contain lanolin.)

It was not intended to be a 'new and better' lube. Rather, it was meant to be a low cost substitute for SPG...which it resembles quite closely.

CM

Boz330
01-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Soft bullet lube like SPG should make a good lube cookie...and a substantial wad is needed below it. But, to answer your question...
The amount of beeswax in the mixture is what keeps the oil from running loose, if they are all well-blended while molten...and do not separate as they cool.

Funny thing - your mention of neatsfoot oil reminded me...
I have a 6 ounce chunk of bullet lube I made up a year ago and never tested.
It is 50/50 beeswax and Camp Dry boot waterproofer...with a tablespoon of Mink Oil added.
(I'm pretty sure the Camp Dry has neatsfoot oil in it, and it does contain lanolin.)

It was not intended to be a 'new and better' lube. Rather, it was meant to be a low cost substitute for SPG...which it resembles quite closely.

CM

I checked my jar of Camp Dry and it says beeswax and lanolin, doesn't mention neatsfoot oil. I'm not sure how much beeswax is in Camp Dry but your mixture is probably 75% or more beeswax. A little bit of lanolin goes a long way.
I have lanolin in my present boolit lube, sure makes my hands smooth during the lubing process, slippery too.

Bob

stace
01-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Thank you Montana & Boz for your replies

The recipe I was given shows equal parts of all three ingredients
Bees wax ,Lanolin ,Neats Foot Oil.Does this sound as if it will be ok to hold together?
Have been playing with black powder M/L's for 30 odd yrs but the cartridge side of things is all new
I was going to try rolling the mix with guides for thickness ,this the best way ?The newest one a 45/70 Martini T/D is still being built so am trying to get all gear ready for the big day (very soon) will try and post pics when she arrives
thanks again
stace

kodiak1
01-05-2008, 09:32 PM
stace make a batch if it is to runny for your liking remelt and add a little more beeswax.
Keep doing that till you end up with what you like.

Put it between a couple of paint stir sticks on wax paper and wax paper on to and roll out with a rolling pin. If you wanr a thicker wad make thicker sticks or thinner sticks for a thinner cookie.

There is no magic to it, just keep experimenting till you are happy with what you have.
Good luck Ken.

Boz330
01-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Stace, what I do for my Martini (577-450) is pour the lube in a pie pan to the thickness that I want, let cool and then just press the case mouth in, cookie cutter style. Put another wad on top and seat the boolit.
Tip, buy your own pie pans if you are married, wives don't see the humor in melting that mess in their cooking utensiles. In fact do it while they are out of the house.

Bob

stace
01-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Kodiak & Boz
Thanks for the tips ,starting to get the feel for this
Sounds just like M/L ,just keep experimenting to find the right combination

The tips really help ,as I couldn't find much about Grease Coolies on the internet

Boz ,Thanks for the info on the pie pans ,I've got a big shed where I can hide out
Have learnt the hard way over the years what with glueing Broadheads ,fletching and M/L gear in the house (din't take too long to learn)
stace

01-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Like Boz330 said.

A couple or 3 tips about using the cookie cutter method for the grease cookie:

1) make sure the pan is level :) doh! Also, some pans warp badly when heated :(
2) put a small piece of metal in the pan to gauge desired thickness
3) experiment with different lube recipes.... some of correct viscosity/type prefer to stick to the pan and won't stay in case mouth when case is pulled from lube....even in teflon pans. SPG works as well as any for this application

Boz330
01-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Kodiak & Boz
Thanks for the tips ,starting to get the feel for this
Sounds just like M/L ,just keep experimenting to find the right combination

The tips really help ,as I couldn't find much about Grease Coolies on the internet

Boz ,Thanks for the info on the pie pans ,I've got a big shed where I can hide out
Have learnt the hard way over the years what with glueing Broadheads ,fletching and M/L gear in the house (din't take too long to learn)
stace

Seems there is an Auzzy song about "Every Boy Needs a Shed" by John Williamson. True on both sides of the pond. Although I have half of a basement, SWIMBO has the other half for her gardening stuff and birdseed.:drinks:

405, try some Pam on those pans before you add the lube.

Bob

01-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Bob,
Is the Pam for the golden brown, crispy texture or the buttery flavor:mrgreen:

Thanks- seriously I'll try it. I don't know if the sticky cookies are due to adhesion to the pan surface... like cake batter on a new cast iron skillet or more of a surface tension thing between the lube and pan??? Will give it a go with the next batch using a modified Felix lube I really like but can't seem to get to work as well as SPG for cookie cuttering:)

montana_charlie
01-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I have never pan-lubed bullets or made grease cookies, so maybe my preconceptions are skewed...but it sounds like you are trying to use pan-lubing techniques to get your cookies.

A guy fills a pan holding a number of bullets to a certain depth. Then after the whole thing is cool, he tries to get the bullets out of the 'cake' with lube remaining in the grooves. Apparently it is not always as easy as it sounds...even with the gripping power of those driving bands.

Here, I see you wanting to use a similar technique...pulling lube out of a very thin 'cake' in the bottom of a pan...but with only the smooth walls of a case to 'grab' it.

Wouldn't it be better to pour the molten lube onto wax paper?

That should allow you to pick it up and manipulate it in ways not possible while stuck to the bottom of a pan.
I visualize it as a 'peel off backing'...if the whole arrangement has been chilled enough to make little semi-hard discs that can be picked off.
I'm thinking...cut the cookies when the lube is room temperature, and harvest them while cold.

While it is cooling in the refrigerator, you and Pam can see about another version of getting your cookie...
CM

45 2.1
01-08-2008, 02:18 PM
The old method is a cake pan with an inch of water in it. Put enough lube with the water in a pan to get your thickness you require for the lube cookie and put it in the oven, heat, then cool. The lube will be on top of the water in an even layer when cool. Take out and store on wax paper.

Jon K
01-09-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm using method I got from a post by by Powderburnerr: melt lube then use eyedropper to .5 ml over wad of your choice.
Simple and easy.

Jon

shooter575
01-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Thank you Montana & Boz for your replies

The recipe I was given shows equal parts of all three ingredients
Bees wax ,Lanolin ,Neats Foot Oil.Does this sound as if it will be ok to hold together?
Have been playing with black powder M/L's for 30 odd yrs but the cartridge side of things is all new
I was going to try rolling the mix with guides for thickness ,this the best way ?The newest one a 45/70 Martini T/D is still being built so am trying to get all gear ready for the big day (very soon) will try and post pics when she arrives
thanks again
stace

This is the ingredients I use for my minne and BP cartridge. I orgionaly was using 50% BW,25% neetsfoot oil and 25% lanolin.Comes out a bit harder than SPG but stickeyer.Works great though.I think you could use less lanolin and still have the same results.Havent tried it for grease cookies as I have good luck using it in the lubersizer with out any other lube.Never used a blow tube ether.I run a patch or two through every 20-30 shots but I could go more if needed.This is with 44-40 and 45-70.

Nardoo
01-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi Stace,

I use this lube for all my BP cartridge and find it works fine in our hot climate. Mix in a double boiler and add the lanolin last. All parts by weight and you might need to adjust the amount of BW to get the right consistancy.

-4 parts beeswax
-1 part olive oil
-1 part anhydrous lanolin grease
-1/2 part Lux flakes

You have to use water to get cookies, like 45 2.1 does or any way that suits you. A friend of mine melts his lube on top of hot water then plunges a very smooth, wet board into the pot. The lube sticks to the board and hardens. Keep putting the board back in the pot till the lube is the required thickness and when it is cool it will peel off that board.
Punch out cookies with a wad punch and store them in the fridge.

If you PM me your address I will post you a stick of my lube to try.

Nardoo

stace
01-10-2008, 04:28 AM
Jeez thanks for all the replies to my query Everybody I wasn't epecting so much info or help

Got a heap of ideas from this now and looking forward to putting it into play

With a name like Nardoo youve got be living out here in OZ
Thanks for your kind offer mate of the lube stick ,I'll let you know

I have noticed that MOST recipes call for anhydrous lanolin grease
whats the difference from the anhydrous to standard Lanolin

Thanks again all
stace

Nardoo
01-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Hi Stace,
Yep. there are quite a few of us from Australia here. I assume anhydrous lanolin has no water and therefore is suited to being mixed with other natural oils without problems.
Just go into your local auto parts shop and they sell a variety of lanolin greases. They are fine to use. Welcome to the board!

Nardoo

Bad Ass Wallace
01-10-2008, 08:24 AM
G'day Stace,

When I load my 50/90 with grease cookies, I use an adjustable powder compression die available from Forbes Wholesale. If you try using the base of the bullet to seat the powder then the cookie will be hydraulically compressed and may just run into the powder column.

BPCR is more about loading consistant ammo with good components than just shoving anything in the case.

Lots of related data here: http://www.australianhunting.net/index.php?topic=12632.0

Cheers
BA

stace
01-11-2008, 05:38 AM
Again thank you all
If I dont get back to you for a week or so ,dont think I dont appreciate all the help its that my son and I are heading out for some camping and pig control
I will catch you all on our return
cheers
stace