PDA

View Full Version : Where are the old timers - Lee 3 hole turret mystery

LoopSoosStroop
04-22-2014, 04:14 PM
Who knows these presses?

I picked up this one the other day, looks like it used to be a old 3 hole auto index turret press.

It is missing some parts on the auto index, most importantly the rod.

What else? What are these parts?

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s635/vdventpieter/20140422_211242_zpsbd45e8f2.jpg

These are only the normal parts, nothing auto index related.

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s635/vdventpieter/20140422_211256_zpseebfa05b.jpg

Who can shed some light?

Char-Gar
04-22-2014, 04:20 PM
I don't know where the rest are, but mine is being used as a trot line weight somewhere in Central Texas.

jakharath
04-22-2014, 04:21 PM
This part may be from an old style (round) Lee AutoPrime Hand tool:

The second picture looks like parts for a Lee 90496 3 hole turret press.

Hogdaddy
04-22-2014, 04:25 PM

Looks like one ; )
H/D

brstevns
04-22-2014, 04:30 PM

Yes that is a tumb piece from a Old type Lee priming tool. How do I know, I have that tool and it has been lying here every since I snapped that piece off. Never did get a replacement tumb piece for it.

LoopSoosStroop
04-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Yes that is a tumb piece from a Old type Lee priming tool. How do I know, I have that tool and it has been lying here every since I snapped that piece off. Never did get a replacement tumb piece for it.

You want it?

Can mail it to you, I have no need for it.

44Vaquero
04-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Yes, those are the parts for the 3-hole auto index minus the operating rod and a linkage/toggle for an old hand prime. Parts for the 3-hole auto-index are hard to come by as is the T-Priming bar in the second picture. The only piece Lee still sells is the nylon ratchet since it is used in the Pro-1000 too.

Lee no longer catalogs the operating rod, but one can be made by tapping the end of a Pro-1000 operating rod and attaching a shoulder nut! The shoulder nut fits in a recess on the 3 hole turret and drives the rotation.

Clean it up and put it back together, They work just fine with or with out auto-index!

dbosman
04-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Since no one else beat me to it...
It's not worth your efforts and further expense. Send it to me for proper recycling. My recycling (ummmm , facility. Yeah, that's the ticket.) will mail you the prepaid shipping label. ;)

brstevns
04-22-2014, 05:20 PM
PM Sent Thank you so much for your kindness.

You want it?

Can mail it to you, I have no need for it.

mdi
04-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Put it back together without the auto index stuff. I have a 4 hole Lee turret that I disabled the auto index some 10 years ago and like it much better that way (I batch reload so I don't need/want my press to index), and it's no big deal to process 200 pieces of brass or assemble some complete ammo (I process most of my brass one or two steps at a time, then prime a bunch, then at a later date I'll charge and seat a bullet. Seems to go faster that way). BTW, you can get an update kit to make your's a 4 hole turret from Lee.

Walter Laich
04-24-2014, 01:09 PM
don't know this press but shouldn't there be a shell plate of some kind in all those parts?

454PB
04-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Walter, you don't need a shell plate, with the Lee design, the dies move, rather than the case.

I have two of the older Lee turret presses, and one of the newer Classic Turrets. I already owned 10 of the three hole turrets with dies installed when I bought the Classic, so I robbed the three hole head off of one of the older machines and installed it on the Classic.

The other "as original" three hole press is still used for 9mm and .40 S&W ammo.

44Vaquero
04-24-2014, 04:08 PM
454pb

Have you seen one of our member's put a top half of a Pro-1000 on a classic turret? I guess it should be called a Pro-2000?

75% of my reloading needs are still being satisfied by 3-hole turret! The only upgrade is I switched over to the new priming system. I still miss the old T-Bar priming arm sometimes.

Fyodor
04-24-2014, 04:22 PM
I would call it a classic 1000. Very interesting, and I don't understand why they refuse to produce it that way.

You can still upgrade this bits and pieces to a four hole auto index press with the four hole upgrade kit. Or just use it without index, still better than a single station press.

mikeym1a
04-24-2014, 05:36 PM
I still have my 3-hole turret, and will be using it tonight. I bought the auto-index as an option, and found it a bother. I have the complete thing here somewhere, but, am not interested in using it. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but not for very long. mikey

454PB
04-24-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm not a progressive loader guy, so I never fooled with that capability. I bought all mine strictly so I could quick change dies without resetting. I know a lot of people hate the aluminum turret presses, but mine have loaded somewhere around 50K rounds. The only thing I don't like is the primer ejection/storage system. The press will put 90% of the removed primers on the floor until you fashion a deflection device.

r1kk1
04-25-2014, 09:40 AM
454pb

Have you seen one of our member's put a top half of a Pro-1000 on a classic turret? I guess it should be called a Pro-2000?

Vaquero already name taken.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/?id=26

Take care

r1kk1

44Vaquero
04-25-2014, 10:29 AM
LOL, r1kki! Thanks for the reminder, Green is never really at the top of my list so I apparently forgot about that one. I guess Fyodor's suggestion of Classic 1000 is the winner!

r1kk1
04-25-2014, 10:58 AM
I would go with Classic 1000 - very good name. I think Lee needs to do this and a CC version of load-all.

Had to yank your chain on the Pro 2000 Vaquero! Lol!

Take care

r1kk1

Fyodor
04-25-2014, 12:20 PM
I already asked them about this, because the only modification needed is to turn down the top of the ram. That's it, then replace the top half with the pro 1000 bits and your done. I talked to a guy who did exactly that, mainly because of the problem with the spent primers. It really is that easy, but Lee isn't interested.

LoopSoosStroop
04-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Yes, those are the parts for the 3-hole auto index minus the operating rod and a linkage/toggle for an old hand prime. Parts for the 3-hole auto-index are hard to come by as is the T-Priming bar in the second picture. The only piece Lee still sells is the nylon ratchet since it is used in the Pro-1000 too.

Lee no longer catalogs the operating rod, but one can be made by tapping the end of a Pro-1000 operating rod and attaching a shoulder nut! The shoulder nut fits in a recess on the 3 hole turret and drives the rotation.

Clean it up and put it back together, They work just fine with or with out auto-index!

This is exactly the info I was looking for, much obliged!

Going to return it to it's former auto-indexing glory, I've already ordered the index rod and other parts from Titan.

Will post the results here.

LoopSoosStroop
04-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Put it back together without the auto index stuff. I have a 4 hole Lee turret that I disabled the auto index some 10 years ago and like it much better that way (I batch reload so I don't need/want my press to index), and it's no big deal to process 200 pieces of brass or assemble some complete ammo (I process most of my brass one or two steps at a time, then prime a bunch, then at a later date I'll charge and seat a bullet. Seems to go faster that way). BTW, you can get an update kit to make your's a 4 hole turret from Lee.

This is bad advice, what's the point of that? It's designed as a semi-progressive, lets use it like that!

I already have a 50th anniversary breech lock press, so changing out dies in a jiffy for batch reloading is not a problem.

It seems like a lot of people under-utilize the great design of the Lee Turret Press.

44Vaquero
04-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Fyodor;

For as much as I like Lee and their products, there are several things that you have to remember about Lee Precision. They are currently selling everything that they can produce! Their products are like Tinker Toys, you can do it yourself. They are very resistant to any product idea that is not their own, for what ever reason? Lastly and most importantly sometimes as a privately owned company they can be just plain weird at times.:confused:

chuck...
01-03-2018, 06:52 PM
You can always return it to Lee and buy the most current iteration for 1/2 list price...

jmorris
01-03-2018, 11:15 PM
The original poster has not been here since June of 2016...