PDA

View Full Version : MAXI BALL mould/ stamped 255 ?

Willyp
04-22-2014, 02:42 PM
I have a Maxi Ball mould,it cast a 370 gr,or close to it,Maxi Ball. All that is stamped on it is this number "255". Does any one have an idea who made this mold?

fouronesix
04-22-2014, 03:14 PM
If it is blackened aluminum, it likely is one of the original Maxi molds offered by T/C. I don't know if they made them or contracted out to Shiloh? or one of the other mold makers at about that time... 70s. I think all of the Lyman Maxi molds were/are of iron and are marked with typical Lyman info. Other than that not much help.

mooman76
04-22-2014, 11:50 PM
I have heard that more than one company made moulds for T/C at different times including Lyman. Sounds like a T/C mould.

fouronesix
04-23-2014, 02:19 PM
I've never seen an iron Lyman mold sold by T/C. I've never seen a T/C marketed mold marked "T/C". I know that as early as 1974 Lyman was making and selling, under their label, an iron Maxi mold. That was, by the way, within a year or two of when T/C designed the Maxi and started selling an aluminum Maxi mold.

Here's a pic of some molds and boxes sold by T/C from the early-mid 70s. The two on the left were marketed by T/C, are of aluminum and of similar design but have slight differences. The mold at the right is an iron Lyman Maxi mold from about that same era.

Note- on one side of the T/C mold box it says, "Designed and Distributed by: T/C Arms Co". That implies that T/C did not make the molds but contracted them out. I know that at the same time Shiloh was making and selling molds that looked very similar to the standard aluminum T/C marketed mold. I've no hard info about the specific contractors making molds for T/C, but the possibility is reasonable that Shiloh did some.

Oh, and about the "255" marked on a mold. That's not uncommon and could mean a design or cherry number.

dondiego
04-23-2014, 05:04 PM
I have many of the TC molds as well and also a .50 cal Shiloh mold for my Smith Carbine. The mold, and the handles especially, sure do look like Shiloh work. My Shiloh handles were aluminum and broke fairly easily. Lyman handles work on the blocks nicely.

mooman76
04-23-2014, 11:34 PM
It's my understanding that the number, 255 in this case is just a reference number to keep the two halves mated together.

fouronesix
04-24-2014, 12:49 AM
It's my understanding that the number, 255 in this case is just a reference number to keep the two halves mated together.

Yes, very possible. I know that Lyman does that with a number stamped in the lower outside quad of each mold half. Probably to ensure the halves stay together during the assembly. Which gets back to the OP. If a small 255 is stamped at that location on each half and it's an iron mold with a Lyman type sprue plate (rounded end)... that may well suggest it's a Lyman mold.