PDA

View Full Version : Lee 430-310

High Desert Hunter
04-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Received my new mold on Friday, cleaned it up really good, and cast with it on Saturday. Bullets drop at .4305, and they look good, but the GC shank is undersized, tried Hornady and Lyman copper checks, and even tried some aluminum checks, all of them fall right off or stick in the sizing die. Contacted Lee customer service, and they tell me that the GC shank is within tolerance and that it must be the gas checks are oversized, the GC shank measures .397. I am disappointed, and glad that I didn't order the 6 cav. May use super glue to hold the checks in place until I can afford another Miha mold, or one from another maker with near the same bullet profile.

pworley1
04-22-2014, 02:21 PM
You might ream the gas check groove a few thousands

High Desert Hunter
04-22-2014, 02:54 PM
If you knew my luck with such endeavors............................

double bogey
04-22-2014, 07:08 PM
I have that mold, and bought gas checks from blamer in the sponsor section here. They fit.

double bogey
04-22-2014, 08:43 PM
After posting earlier, it reminded me I needed to finish some of these I had drying (xlox). They were from my new mold. I damaged my first one by overheating on a hot plate, so they're cheap so I bought another. Bullets are sized the same except for the gas check shank. They wouldn't stay on until they went thru the sizer. However after running thru the sizer they seem to hold pretty good, I can peel them off with a little effort.

I will buy some higher priced molds later on, but I will continue to learn on the lee's.

High Desert Hunter
04-22-2014, 08:55 PM
How big are the Blamer gas checks?

captaint
04-23-2014, 01:49 PM
In my experience, Blammer sells Gator checks. They're great. Never a problem with them. Mike

High Desert Hunter
04-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Don't doubt the quality at all, just wanted to campare the measurements to the ones I have.

dmize
04-23-2014, 05:38 PM
I have one of those. It is the second of two misfires I got from Lee. The checks went on tight but the bullets wouldn't cast bigger than 427 on the first and 429 on the second.
If I haven't melted all of them back down I will measure tonight.