PDA

View Full Version : Greener take down 12Ga rebarreling question

BCRider
04-22-2014, 02:04 PM
So I've got this pretty decent looking Greener Martini action 12Ga shotgun. It's the take down style. It's fun to shoot trap with it as the other "regulars" are flummoxed at the idea of something that odd.... :D

But there's more to life than just trap shooting, despite what those guys say :D

I'm planning on setting up additional barrels for shooting the .38-55 with cast loads and I'd like to set up a third barrel for shooting something like .30-30 or perhaps .303British.

The .38-55 I have no worries about. It's a soft recoil and low pressure round after all. And I seriously doubt there's an issue with the relatively soft pressure and recoil from a .30-30. But someone on another forum raised a potential issue related to using stronger bottle neck rounds such as .303British in conjunction with the split takedown receiver.

Any thoughts from the Martini faithful on this?

Col4570
04-22-2014, 03:35 PM
I believe a problem arises with the breach block centre not able to support the smaller case head.The 303 martini Rifles had a stronger block for this duty.
I have seen a few converted to 45.70 black Powder successfully.In all cases get them proofed.