PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the old Lee/Mequon pistol rest?

Mike W1
04-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Haven't had mine out in several years till today. Wanted to test some 45acp loads and let's just say the results weren't what I'd hoped. Would like to have some input on quirks you've found. Point of aim seemed to be shifting horizontally even though I had the recommended piece of paper in for friction. Maybe someone came up with a better method????

Green Frog
04-22-2014, 04:40 PM
I've owned one with an extra "arm" and half a dozen or so inserts for many years, but have used it very little. It seems like it is about a half step more secure than simply using a bag rest but nowhere near as repeatable as the Ransom Rest. Specifically for the Gov't Model and others of its type, I have heard complaints that single loading the gun while in the rest gives less satisfactory results and may damage the extractor. I haven't experienced this personally, but pass it along FWIW as a possible cause of your horizontal stringing. I think maybe it is really better suited to revolvers(?)

Froggie

Mike W1
04-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Hadn't heard that about the extractor before but have seen it mentioned that single loading instead of from the magazine can make the grouping different. I actually think that there's some movement between the arm and the adaptor even with the recommended piece of paper. Anyhow next time out I'll try sandbags instead and see how it goes.

Old School Big Bore
04-22-2014, 09:09 PM
I've had one for decades, used it a couple times with Ruger SAs which IIRC are the only pads I have for it; meh. Sittin in a drawer takin up space.

Springfield
04-22-2014, 09:33 PM
The extractor riding up and over the brass case instead of just sliding up the side can definitely break extractors. Happened to myself and couple of friends until we learned better.

enfieldphile
04-23-2014, 11:37 AM
If anyone has them, I would like a set of insert holders for Sq. butt K and N frame S&W

Hardcast416taylor
04-23-2014, 08:42 PM
If I recall, I have one of these things still new in the box with a 1911 clip insert. My brother got it years ago and never used it. I inherited it back in `03 from his estate, and I have never used it.Robert

Artful
04-23-2014, 10:11 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?165272-Lee-Pistol-Rest-FOUND-at-LAST

Your muscle control is part of the accuracy - your have to control your follow thru

Mike W1
04-24-2014, 10:09 PM
FWIW, I checked with my gunsmith and you guys are right about single loading the 1911.

"It is very possible to break extractors this way
When you load through a mag the round goes under the extractor
When you load single rounds the ext. has to override the rim and will
cause the ext to not be adjusted right"

Green Frog
04-25-2014, 03:44 PM
I know it's a long shot, but I could sure use inserts for a Colt SAA and a Ruger Blackhawk. I have a pattern to make the one for the BH, but it would be a PITA wit the equipment I have, so I'm hoping to get lucky. [smilie=w:

Froggie

gray wolf
04-27-2014, 01:48 PM
1911 is a control feed NOT to be single loaded
However some new 1911,s with an outside extractor can be single loaded the same as a Beretta 92 or a 96
I use two medium size ( not filled to hard ) mold-able sand bags for my pistol testing.
You don't just put a bag on a bench, rest your hands on it and call it good.