PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 sights

jadcock
04-22-2014, 09:34 AM
I purchased a Rossi 92 in .357 and I do not like the factory sights. It has a gold bead front post with buckhorn rear sights. I just want a plain jane blued blade in front, and a simple rear sight. Not unlike the sights found on my Rossi copy of a Winchester 62sa .22. Something simple. Do any of you know the best source for something like this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

kopperl
04-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Got mine from Midway (several years ago).

pirkfan
04-22-2014, 08:06 PM
I replaced the rear sight with a Skinner peep sight. According to the Skinner website, Rossi uses a non standard sized dovetail on the barrel, and Skinner makes peeps fitted to this dovetail. You may also find (as I did) that your rifle shoots low with the rear sight on the lowest notch of the adjuster (16 inch barrel). If you stick with the factory rear buckhorn, Skinner makes taller front sights to compensate for the lack of adjustment in the factory rear sight.

Three44s
04-23-2014, 12:37 AM
A young fellow I am acquainted with bought a Marlin .45-70 ........ I egged him into it.

He was in a quandery about the sights. I started haranging him about getting a receiver sight.

What he finally agreed to was the Skinner sight.

He is ONE HAPPY CAMPER!

The end!

Three 44s

jmort
04-23-2014, 02:31 AM
I am ordering the Skinner Sight for mine.

w5pv
04-23-2014, 08:07 AM
I am very pleased with the buckhorn sights.Out of the box I have hit all that I have shot with groups less than 1.5" at 75 yards.This about all this shakey old man can do.Where I hunt 25 to 125 yards is distance that I wil be shooting,

Pb2au
04-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Yeah, our friends at the Rossi corporation didn't really kill themselves on the sights.
I ended up filing the front site to about half the width. The rear sight got its pink slip and a Lyman receiver sight was hired. The front sight is still on probation.

jadcock
04-23-2014, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys. I'll look into what you did. I am not at all pleased with the sights as they came. Yes, this rifle does shoot lower than it should.

woodsxdragon
04-23-2014, 02:23 PM
I put the skinner peep sights on my ranch hand. I mean its still not the most accurate gun but it is better.

3leggedturtle
04-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Had my 357 d+t'ed for a Williams FP meant for a M94. Or you could put a peep on it that replaces the idiot switch on the bolt from Steve's Gunz.

jh45gun
04-25-2014, 04:51 AM
I put a taller Williams Fiber optic on my Ranch Hand that helped me shoot well with the rear sight left as is.

Ragnarok
04-25-2014, 09:04 AM
My newer M92 Rossi .44 mag came with the same sort-of crude standard sights as a older M92 Rossi .44-40 I just bought...both sights appearing pretty much the same as a Rossi pump .22 I had owned years ago.

When I was shopping to buy my .44 mag...I was looking at several Rossi carbines and noticed a substantial price difference between two seemingly same guns. A closer look at the two carbines showed the more expensive Rossi had 'better' sights.

luvtn
05-04-2014, 12:59 AM
Check out stevesgunz.com for info on tuning the Rossi's and sights.
luvtn

knifemaker
05-04-2014, 02:57 AM
I second the advice to check out stevegunz.com for you sights. I used his rear peep sight that replaces the safety and his "front fire sight" on my 357 mag. 92 and I am very happy with them for hunting sights.

If you do not want the fiber optic "fire sight" he also carries the front sights with a fine white or brass bead and his front sights are the right height to work with his rear peep and give you plenty of adjustment for elevation.
No windage adjustment on the rear peep, must use the front sight for windage adjustment. I installed both sights by centering front sight in dove tail and it was dead on for windage adjustment, and only 1 inch low for height and plenty of adjustment in the peep to correct the height bullet impact.