PDA

View Full Version : Drift Pin Punch Set

DBrown
01-04-2008, 11:49 PM
I need a good set of drift pin punches. Should I get steel or brass? Any good sources?

danski26
01-05-2008, 01:20 AM
I'd start with Brownells. They have general sets that you can find cheaper elsewhere but also have hard to find stuff, like cup tip punches. It seems after getting a bunch and breaking a bunch you start making you own anyway.

I have brass sets but seem to use them seldom. Better to ruin a pin than bugger a hole from the brass mushrooming. If it's an easy pin to move I use some of the nylon punches I have. It seems that very few are "easy" though.

A nail set or starter punches are good for starting those tough ones. They save those long shaft small diameter punches that bend in a stiff cross breeze.

Starrett brand are good tools. Debatable wether you need expensive when it comes to punches though. MSC has ok prices and good selection for general punches.

Crash_Corrigan
01-05-2008, 03:27 AM
I bought a set last year from them for about $6. Brass and steel and they get the job done. They have a web site and I usually spend some money with them every so often along with Midway.

Bret4207
01-05-2008, 11:00 AM
I'd get steel from MSC, Enco, any of the machinist supply houses or Midway/CTD as Crash said. Starret is nice, Stanley/Craftsman is fine. Brass is nice for some stuff as is plastic. Avoid aluminum.

nicholst55
01-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Also avoid 'Baltimore' brand punches - they're dead soft and will bend the first time you use them. AMHIK.

I say go with quality and only buy them once - Starett is hard to beat.

floodgate
01-05-2008, 07:06 PM
If you are dealing with roll pins (and we see more of them every day, it seems), you need a good hard set of punches with the little teat in the center. Saves me and my clumsy hands a lot of dings and gouges. I get mine from the "Brown-L" people.

floodgate