PDA

View Full Version : HBWC questions....

CATTLEMAN
04-22-2014, 05:12 AM
I have a supply of .358ish HBWCs inbound and have some questions:

I plan to use them only for low velocity target rounds to be used inside of 50 yards on paper targets. I plan to load them traditionally with the hollow base towards the powder. These are for my recreational shooting and getting some new shooters started without a lot of intimidating noise and recoil.

Will WCs feed through a typical lever action?

Will the HB help with CB accuracy in microgroove barrels?

Is there any reason not to use them in a 357 herrett?

Will accuarcy typically improve if I seat them out towards the rifiling when possible?

Is 800fps a good place to start for accuracy in a revolver?

Anything else I should be aware of about the HB?

Between trailboss, unique and bullseye which is most likely to give the best accuracy with a HBWC?

Thanks!

Scharfschuetze
04-22-2014, 09:11 AM
The traditional and classic load for 148 grain HBWCs is 2.7 grains of Bullseye powder. I've also used 3.0 grains of 231 with fairly good results from my 38 Special revolvers. Seating depth for the 148 grain HBWC in factory loads has generally been with the top of the boolit flush with the case lip. They'll function that way through the semi-auto S&W Model 52 and the modified Colt 1911s that were chambered for the cartridge for the 38 stage of the old 2700 bullseye course of fire. In a revolver with handloads you can experiment with different seating depths although I've always just seated them flush with 10 ring results.

I'm going to try Tight Group powder sometime this summer and see if I can improve (hardly needed) the 2.7 grain BE load in my PPC revolver.

There's a thread somewhere around here with a survey of velocities that the HBWC gets loaded to. Seems like it was evenly split between minus 800 fps and plus 800 fps. The HBWC is not a high velocity boolit, but 800 fps is well within its capabilities.

I've never loaded for the Herret cartridge, but I'd be careful of getting the skirt of the hollow base very far below the neck of the case in anything but a very mild load. That would certainly support your idea of loading the boolit further out and closer to the rifling of your Herret barrel. I'd certainly experiment with seating the HBWC out to touch the rifling with what I assume is a single shot handgun.

I've never tried them through my 1894 Marlin, so I have no idea if they'll feed or not.

RedHawk357Mag
04-22-2014, 09:34 AM
The Hodgdon 2014 Annual Manual on page 155 lists:
148 gr HDY LHBWC Dia .358" COL 1.160"
TrailBoss 2.0 start 625 fps 15,100 PSI; 2.3 MAX 675 fps 15,700 PSI

The Complete Reloading Manual for the 357 Magnum on page 69 lists:
148 gr LWC (TGT) (does not list as Hollow Base)
Unique 3.3 MAX 775 fps 10,000 PSI
Bullseye 2.8 MAX 780 fps 10,000 PSI

Never shot any. But read ALL the Time, "don't blow the skirt off" "don't load them fast" and "always check barrel for obstructions". And most folks give the nod to Bullseye for accuracy.

I have a ton of fun with wadcutters the double ended type and no worries of skirts. And I think think skirts would slow the production of CBs way down but I believe you ordered them so that's a non-starter. Can't speak for Herret or lever actions. Have a great time with them.

rhead
04-23-2014, 06:59 AM
I have a Rossi Mares Leg that will feed wad cutters (.44). it is worth putting one in the mag and trying.
On the hollow base wad cutters don't try to hot rod them they may leave a separated skirt in the barrel.

StrawHat
04-23-2014, 07:26 AM
I shot a couple of pallets of HBWC through my revolvers when competing. I favored 2.8 grains of Bullseye and seated the bullet about .1" (1/10") pround of the brass. This made it slightly easier to reload the chambers and no change in my scores. One fellow tried tham 1/4" proud but needed to up the charge to accomondate the extra room.

Sorry, can't help you with the other two questions.

I would suggest that if you enjoy the HBWC, you purchase a mold to cast DEWC. Same accuracy and a bit more savings. Plus if you vary your alloy, you can get a bit more velocity from them.