PDA

View Full Version : hat seating die for 30 Carbine?

nighthunter
04-21-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm using rcbs dies to reload 30 Carbine for a Ruger Blackhawk. I'm having a problem with bullets being seated off center and leaving a bulge in the side of the case that prevents feeding into the cylinder. Is there a brand of die that the case is more supported in the die to help prevent this crooked seating. I do have the proper seating punch for the bullets I am loading. I'd guess that someone on this board has already figured this problem out. Thanks for any offered help.

Nighthunter

Nueces
04-21-2014, 11:02 PM
My first steps to resolve such difficulties are to go to an M-type neck expander and a Hornady sliding sleeve seater die. The M-dies were a Lyman design, but a much wider range of custom sizes is available from Buffalo Arms. Hornady makes a seater for the 30 Carbine.

Dryball
04-22-2014, 12:22 AM
+1 on the Hornady dies...That's what all my seaters are

Reg
04-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Also it might be you are not putting a deep enough chamfer on the inside of the case mouth. Have found with cast it's best to use the 20 degree tool and really put a good deep chamfer on that case mouth. Prevents a side grabbing the base of the bullet, lets it slide freely into proper alignment.
Also a good deep chamfer will give better TIR readings.