PDA

View Full Version : Iron sight target

Bill*B
04-21-2014, 09:09 PM
My little levergun has the factory open iron sights - I've had a tough time finding a good, easy to see target for load testing.

Thought you guys and gals might enjoy printing this one (http://www.wa4cyp.com/100-yard-high-power-rifle.pdf). Just save the .pdf file to a UPS stick and carry it to Staples. They will print it on 11" x 17" paper for around 90 cents apiece. That red dot is a nice contrast to black irons at 100 yards.

Good shooting! Bill.

chsparkman
04-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.

Bill*B
04-21-2014, 09:55 PM
My pleasure. You can roll your own here (http://www.printtargets.net/). I sized the one I posted to be compatible with my own skill level. If I can put all of them into the bull, it's been a good day! 5 MOA is about all I can do with open irons.

BCRider
04-22-2014, 12:21 AM
I tried a red spot but for my eyes the red fades and fuzzes out too quickly.

After quite a few self made targets I finally ponied up and bought the BC Shoot-N-C targets. The 6" for out to 100 and the 12" for 200 and 300. Who would have guessed that these targets are easily as good as any option short of a scope that we can put onto our rifle. I immediately began cutting my plain iron and peep sight groups just about in half thanks to the higher contrast of the targets of solid black on bright white.

If the red works for you then great. But do try an all black "meatball" to see if you can see the contrast more easily. And if it works then you might consider the Shoot-N-C option.

My previous issue with all black targets that I would not be able to see the holes is not a concern with the Shoot-N-C's.

quilbilly
04-24-2014, 06:23 PM
I drew a template of an official biathlon target (about 4-1/2" in diameter with about a 2" center ring) and draw this on white paper with black marking pen with the outer ring filled in back. Stapled onto brown cardboard, it is extremely easy to even see the white center with iron sights out as far as almost 200 yards even with my old eyes. Like BC rider above, those regular target centers fade out quickly for me.

williamwaco
04-24-2014, 06:29 PM
My pleasure. You can roll your own here (http://www.printtargets.net/). I sized the one I posted to be compatible with my own skill level. If I can put all of them into the bull, it's been a good day! 5 MOA is about all I can do with open irons.

That is an amazing site.

Thanks for sharing.

fouronesix
04-24-2014, 07:29 PM
The "print targets" site is a nice site and program- a little cumbersome but not bad. My only problem is the ink for my printer is more expensive than just buying pre-made targets on sale or in bulk not to mention Staples or other similar stores are many gallons of gas away.

Anyway, as to the other part of the OP... here's a style of target I like to use for many types of sights and shooting. Just now designed this using the print targets site. And I prefer regular black. Red and other bright colors tend to fuzz-out or glare.

Bill*B
04-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone, for sharing your experiences! Bill.

enfield
04-24-2014, 08:53 PM
I find the easiest target to see ( especially with double aperture sights ) is a black circle ( I cut them about 8" out of those big 2'x3' sheets from the dollar store ) and put that on a piece of the neon coloured paper about 10 - 12" square. the bright halo around the black circle makes the target much clearer than a bright circle target.

Geobru
04-26-2014, 08:57 AM
I use the draw function in Microsoft Word to make my targets. That way I can have all the load info at the top of the page and can make whatever size and color target I want that will fit on the page.

Artful
04-26-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm such a cheap skate I buy the colored masking tape - get the 2" wide and cut into 2" length and put them diagonally on butcher paper (non-waxed side) or if you can find it newspaper roll ends. If you need bigger two strips 4" long. And sometimes you can find a sale on painting supplies at the big box and buy a bulk package, but here in the Arizona heat they loose their stickum power if stored in the garage too long.

Doc Highwall
04-26-2014, 06:00 PM
The iron sight targets that the NRA uses for high-power competition to 600 yards are all approximately 6 minutes of angle so as it is not a seeing contest but a shooting contest. The 200 yard targets aiming black is 13" the 300 yard targets aiming black is 19" and the 600 yard targets aiming black is 36". The targets that are used for reduced distance matches are also approximately 6 minutes of angle.

When I shoot at these targets I use a 6 O'clock hold on the aiming black and the sights are set 3 minutes high to have the bullet hit the center of the target. If I wanted the bullet to hit point of aim I would just take 3 minutes elevation off the rear sight. With a post or bead front sight I would suggest that you use a 6 O'clock hold and with aperture sights you just center the aiming black in the front aperture.

tygar
04-26-2014, 06:13 PM
The "print targets" site is a nice site and program- a little cumbersome but not bad. My only problem is the ink for my printer is more expensive than just buying pre-made targets on sale or in bulk not to mention Staples or other similar stores are many gallons of gas away.

Anyway, as to the other part of the OP... here's a style of target I like to use for many types of sights and shooting. Just now designed this using the print targets site. And I prefer regular black. Red and other bright colors tend to fuzz-out or glare.

I also use white on black. Use a standard 12" black & staple what ever size white I need for the distance.

The white allows me to see my front sight better with peep sites.

MtGun44
04-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Try an inverted black T, about 2" wide stripes at 100 and 1" at 25 for pistol works extremely well
for me. Another is a black equilateral triangle with the point down, about 4" on a side for pistol shooting
at 25 yds. This allows me an extremely precise aim point. Shooting at that point is really precise -
you can center the front sight on it really well - or at least, I can.

Give it a try - get a super wide 1" black magic marker and you can make the T's at the range in
a real hurry for nearly nothing.

Bill

tazman
04-27-2014, 08:15 AM

I agree that printing targets with an inkjet is an expensive proposition. My solution is to use a monochrome laserjet and plain copy paper. They print good sharp targets in black and white which I can see clearly. The lasejet is much cheaper long term than an inkjet for black and white printing. I can print nearly 2000 targets for about $45 plus paper.
For pistol I use a 3 inch black ring with a 1 inch white center. Since I shoot mostly at about 10 yards it works well for me.
Somewhere on this sight is a thread for downloadable targets. There is quite a selection available.

Petrol & Powder
04-27-2014, 08:52 AM
I also agree that printing targets with an ink jet printer is very expensive. I did it a few times before seeking cheaper alternative. The BC Shoot-N-C stick on circles work pretty well for an occasional quick target and I keep some in my range bag. I use them more for convenience than savings but they are still cheaper than printer ink.
I like Mtgun44's idea of a wide black magic marker. The wide maker and inverted "T" may be my new target.

C.F.Plinker
04-27-2014, 08:56 AM
I use the 25 yard timed and rapid fire pistol NRA targets for pistol at 25 and 50 yards and the same target for rifle at 50 and 100 yards. They are printed on 22" x 24" paper and cost just under 15 cents each. Yes, I do have to buy them 250 at a time and pick them up at the printer to get that price. If I am load testing and just want an aiming point, I turn them over and, using a soup can with the bottom cut off as a template, spray paint the number of targets I need on the back side.

I will make a pattern using MtGun44's idea of a triangle and see how it works.

fouronesix
04-27-2014, 09:13 AM
After competitions, there are usually a bunch of high quality targets left in the trash cans at the range. Since we don't have moving backers, there's only one small hole in each bull. I'm not beyond "dumpster divin" for gently used targets. I'll even grab discarded shoot-n-c targets that have the stick-on bulls around the outside. Repurpose! For special size bulls, I have a group of shortened pieces of PVC of various diameters that I can use to spray paint any diameter bull I want if needed. I also like to use cheap paper plates, spray painted flat black for long range BPCR bulls.

badbill2
04-28-2014, 01:59 PM
After considerable expense, purchasing various targets I now use 8" paper plates out to about 100yds. Just use staples and a marker to draw the appropriate size bulls eye. Easy to write on with your range and load data. Real paper plates. The styrofoam tends to leave ragged edges. 25 for a dollar at the dollar store!