PDA

View Full Version : Saxby-Palmer Info Needed

Bent Ramrod
04-21-2014, 07:57 PM
I have a Saxby-Palmer cartridge air rifle. They were made in England and remaindered over here a dozen years ago at attractive prices but with no warranty, no supporting paperwork, no spare parts, no nothing. I find now that when I try to pump up a cartridge the air just whooshes out the joint between the pump and the cartridge. There may or may not be an O ring missing, but I'd need a photo of a working one to be sure.

I understand that air guns of this type were banned in England under some sort of Social Responsibility Act. They were an interesting concept if you couldn't hunt with a firearm. You could just pump up a pocketful of cartridges, put pellets in the ends of them, and take to the field.

Does anyone have a parts breakdown or copy of an owner's manual for this? I would be glad to pay copying fees and postage. Without a drawing or instructions I'm afraid to mess with the thing for fear of doing even more damage.

Janoosh
04-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Got a Saxby-Palmer in 22. There are valve fittings between the pump and cartridge. I have both cartridges, the plain plastic, and the rebuildable metal.ones.. I will have more info by Mon as I am away at work until the weekend. As far as I remember, there is no o-ring between the pump and the cartridge. I also have NO manual...

Janoosh
04-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Apologies for the double post. If you have the metal cartridge, it should screw onto the pump, after you remove ( unscrew) the end. The plastic cartridge is more difficult, it is not repairable.

Bent Ramrod
04-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks, Janoosh. I have both the orange plastic cartridges and the rebuildable aluminum ones. I'll check the latter out again, and try to get a picture of the end of the pump. There is a groove that may or may not have had an O-ring; now it doesn't, and I can't remember if I ever saw one on there. And ones I try on it are too fat to go into the cartridges.

Saxby-Palmers really are well made rifles, and the pumps are too for that matter. I don't know why the embargo on exploded drawings or parts lists. Very odd.

Bent Ramrod
04-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Janoosh-

Looks like it must just have been a cartridge taking early retirement. I tried one of the new aluminum ones out of the box and it held air just fine. Thanks again.

Again, anybody who has a manual or parts list for this thing, I would be grateful for a scan or a copy.

andy h
04-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Here is a bit of information.

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3639&sid=3024770a8f1a75062627f81225a92ae7&mforum=drfaf

Janoosh
04-27-2014, 08:10 PM
You're most welcome. The little info I had was taken from sole experience with my own Saxby-Palmer rifle. I have found almost no info on maintaining or parts availability.

Bent Ramrod
04-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Andy h,

Thanks for that link as well. I'll have to get better at searching; totally missed that one.

andy h
04-28-2014, 03:01 PM
pity you are not a little bit closer i have just found 6 complete metal cartridges in my shed.

Bent Ramrod
04-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Thanks, Andy. I have several boxes already. Can't imagine what the import/export restrictions would be.

In my searches for Saxby-Palmer info, I saw some info about the Socially Responsible Behaviour Act that banned pumpable cartridge pellet guns. If one of your fellow countrymen has one grandfathered in on a Fire Arms Certificate, he might be glad to get the cartridges.