PDA

View Full Version : General Notes on Awareness and Intellignece.

W.R.Buchanan
04-21-2014, 05:50 PM
He who knows that he knows, is wise,,, follow him.

He who know NOT that he knows, is asleep,,, Awaken him.

He who knows that he knows NOT, is a student,,, teach him.

and,,,

He who knows NOT that he knows NOT, is a Fool,,, Shun him!

A quote from Socrates: Some time back.

I try to think about this statement often, as it helps with finding truth. :wink:

Randy

tazman
04-21-2014, 10:48 PM
I see a lot of overlap between the first and last descriptions. Never sure which they are unless they make their foolishness obvious.

dtknowles
04-21-2014, 11:14 PM
He who knows what he knows and what he does not and knows the difference is the wisest.

Tim

petroid
04-21-2014, 11:17 PM
Some things I know.
Some things I don't know.
Some things I think I know, but I don't.
Some things I don't even know enough to know that I don't know...I think...

35 shooter
04-21-2014, 11:17 PM
lol ! That brought back memories....my dad used to quote that all the time. Also Davy Crocketts old quote " First be sure your right...then go ahead." Yep...food for thought and rules to live by.

dondiego
04-22-2014, 10:05 AM
I can't remember the exact quote or to whom it is attributed, but I like this : "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak, and remove all doubt."

Guardian
04-22-2014, 10:18 AM
I divide my officers into four groups. There are clever, diligent, stupid, and lazy officers. Usually two characteristics are combined. Some are clever and diligent -- their place is the General Staff. The next lot are stupid and lazy -- they make up 90 percent of every army and are suited to routine duties. Anyone who is both clever and lazy is qualified for the highest leadership duties, because he possesses the intellectual clarity and the composure necessary for difficult decisions. One must beware of anyone who is stupid and diligent -- he must not be entrusted with any responsibility because he will always cause only mischief. Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord (September 26, 1878 – April 25, 1943)

jmort
04-22-2014, 11:20 AM
The earliest known appearance of the adage discovered by QI occurred in a book titled “Mrs. Goose, Her Book” by Maurice Switzer. The publication date was 1907 and the copyright notice was 1906. The book was primarily filled with clever nonsense verse, and the phrasing in this early version was slightly different: 5

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it."

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/17/remain-silent/

Quote Investigator: There is a biblical proverb that expresses a similar idea, namely Proverbs 17:28. Here is the New International Version followed by the King James Version of this verse: 1

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

dondiego
04-22-2014, 11:46 AM
Thank you jmortimer!

Don

Dale in Louisiana
04-22-2014, 01:07 PM
"It's not what a man doesn't know that gets him hurt, it's what he knows that just isn't so.

dale in Louisiana

paul edward
04-22-2014, 01:53 PM
I can't remember the exact quote or to whom it is attributed, but I like this : "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak, and remove all doubt."

Sounds like Mark Twain, my favorite philosopher.

W.R.Buchanan
04-22-2014, 02:36 PM
I guess I'll throw out my most famous tidbit of philosophical wisdom for discussion.

"It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do."

Randy

Land Owner
04-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Know what you know.
Know what you don't know.
Don't try to "sell" what you don't know.
Beware of the Unknown Unknowns.
And in everything you do, don't wake up the 800 Pound Gorilla.