PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lube a matic 2 or Lyman 4500

hickfu
04-21-2014, 05:31 PM
I am finally SICK of pan lubing (well the fibromyalgia finally made me sick of it) and I will be getting a lube/sizer but I need to know what others think... Should I get the Lyman 4500 or the RCBS Lube a matic 2? I want the lube warmer I know comes with the 4500 but would it work on the RCBS?

Pros and Cons of each...

Thanks,
Doc

Bored1
04-21-2014, 07:09 PM
The biggest pro for me about RCBS is the customer service. IT SIMPLY CAN'T BE BEAT. Any problem at all they will take care of. I haven't had the chance to use a 4500 yet, just picked up a 45, but the RCBS seems to be heavier made and less prone to breaking. Which comes in handy if you make mistake while learning like I do.

ACrowe25
04-21-2014, 07:33 PM
I picked the 4500 with heater. No complaints here...

Mike W1
04-21-2014, 08:48 PM
I've never looked at a 4500 so can't say on that. Lot of guys rave about the old 45's. Had one and personally didn't care for it. A couple simple mods to the RCBS like a ball handle and a simple socket to adapt to a ratchet and I don't think you can beat the RCBS unit. As mentioned the service is unbeatable. Odds are the Lyman heater would work and I'm sure someone on here would know. I don't as I have the old Midway heater on mine which my PID now controls.

chsparkman
04-21-2014, 09:39 PM
I have both and I don't see any advantage of one over the other, except the 4500 has the heater built in.

Fishman
04-21-2014, 11:17 PM
My 4500 with heater works great. Never used the rcbs but I think the heater is additional cost.

UNIQUEDOT
04-22-2014, 11:13 AM
I have two 4500's two #1's and one 45. The main reason I chose the 4500's over the LAM was because they were slightly heavier and thicker around the ram. If I were to do it all over I would get at least one rcbs due to their customer service! If the old 45 would have been updated and made heavier instead of Lyman introducing the 450 it would have been the perfect push pull sizer. It's weak in comparison to the ram type sizers, but it's the best design in my opinion... I wish I had several instead of what I have.

enfieldphile
04-23-2014, 12:15 AM
The Lyman accessory heater is D&T'ed for the LAM

I have had a LAM for 30 years. A weld on the side of the part where the handle screws on broke last year. RCBS sent out the free replacement part fast. IMMO, changing the dies on a LAM or 450 or 4500 is a slow, messy PITA.

Get a Star! It's 10X faster, boolits are sized straight, a monkey could change dies in 2 minutes. Work some OT If required to get the star & heater and Lathesmith dies / TP

avogunner
04-29-2014, 04:02 AM
I don't believe there's much of a difference, I have a 45 and a 450 but would happily use a LAM. Yes, yes ..... the STAR/Magma is "the best" but either Lyman or RCBS will suit your needs.

Wayne Smith
04-29-2014, 08:04 AM
RCBS for two reasons. As mentioned, the warranty. The lock nut threads on the RCBS are coarser than on the Lyman unless they changed this on the 4500, mine is the 450. This makes it easier to thread the nut on the RCBS. Someone who knows if Lyman changed the threads on the 4500 chime in, please.

DeanWinchester
04-29-2014, 08:39 AM
I'm with you brother! I'm sick of pan lubing myself. I'm going for the RCBS. One being customer service as said. They will all break eventually. RCBS has the best customer service.

dragon813gt
04-29-2014, 08:50 AM
RCBS. I'd look for an older LAM1 and rebuild it if necessary. W/ the LAM1 you can add a CabineTree A.L.F. if you use a soft lube. Which unfortunately I don't. It keeps pressure on the reservoir longer meaning you don't have to work the ratchet as much. I've had no issues w/ the base plugs leaking in either of mine. RCBS sent me all the parts I needed to get mine pretty much back to new. Now the parts being delivered in a timely fashion is another issue all together.

Maximumbob54
04-29-2014, 09:47 AM
I don't have the 4500 but I do have the 450 and LAM2 and I use the LAM2 more often than the 450. I did add the Lyman heater to the both of them. However they both set dormant now since I switched to 45/45/10 tumble lube for most everything. It's not as pretty as the colorful reds, blues, greens, and whatever but it works.

Elkins45
04-29-2014, 08:59 PM
I like the built in heater of the 4500, and the fact that the lube bore is a little bigger so my homemade sticks fit easier. It also has a little more depth adjustment for short boolets without having to relocate the lock nut to the top side of the mechanism.

I like the way the RCBS threads from the top instead of the bottom because that's one less leak and failure point. I don't love the ball thingie when compared to the Lyman ratchet, but I do like the way the unit holds pressure for several boolets before it needs another crank. I also like the coarse thread on the die retention nut but I wish the unit included a dedicated wrench because the one from Lyman doesn't fit.

My Lyman cost $10 more than it should have because the ram was misaligned when I got it and I had to send it to Lyman for a replacement casting.

The RCBS costs a little less, I think. My advice: buy the one you can find, but if you use hard lubes factor in the cost of a heater unless you're just going to use an iron or heat lamp.

Wayne Smith
04-30-2014, 07:57 AM
RCBS die retention nut is a 15/16" nut. Go to Sears and pick up a wrench. I got the shorty style.

detox
05-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Both the RCBS and Lyman can distort bullet if not careful (especially smaller rifle bullets). I usually size in the Lee sizer first, then lube only in the RCBS using flat nose punch and oversize sizer.

huntinlever
10-01-2015, 04:39 PM
Both the RCBS and Lyman can distort bullet if not careful (especially smaller rifle bullets). I usually size in the Lee sizer first, then lube only in the RCBS using flat nose punch and oversize sizer.

This is what I do. Lee at .460 and luber at .461. Now, my used 450 broke and I'm facing running out of the considerable finished boolits I've been storing all the last few months. Casting, and lubing, again, and tweaking the lube, possibly. So right here, deciding between Cabela's 4500 w/ heater at $194, or Lam II + heater, at about the same price, from another source.

gwpercle
10-01-2015, 04:58 PM
I have never owned an RCBS but I bought a Lyman 450 around 1970 or 1971. Nothing has ever broken on it, I have never had a problem screwing or unscrewing anything. Don't get the "problem" with fine threads, I don't find it an issue. My 450 came with a little wrench for the nut and it works just fine.
I bought the Lyman because it was the only lube/sizer on the dealers shelf and I was going home with something! Best reloading thing I ever spent money on. I'm messy and pan lubing was a disaster , I got more melted lube on the floor, table, my clothes, the dog.....I'm sure you will find either one will work, both have been around and time tested. I say get the one you can get the best deal on ...either will work.
Gary

huntinlever
10-01-2015, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the post, Gary. Knock on wood, I do have a bit of time as I'm still in finished boolits, but about to cast more, and will be in the market. My basement does tend to cool during the winter months, and a heater will be needed whatever I go with so the 4500 with the heater does appeal. Just wait to see how prices move, if at all.

Thanks again, much appreciate your thoughts.

woodbutcher
10-01-2015, 11:11 PM
:-D Hi guys.I used a ratcheting box wrench with my Lyman 45.Never had a problem.Never had to locate it either.It just stayed on the hex end of the squeeze shaft.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

MT Chambers
10-01-2015, 11:43 PM
Both the RCBS and Lyman can distort bullet if not careful (especially smaller rifle bullets). I usually size in the Lee sizer first, then lube only in the RCBS using flat nose punch and oversize sizer. This kind of work around makes one wonder why you wouldn't buy a Star, nose first sizing and lubing all in one motion, much better alignment then the RCBS/Lyman and 5X faster.

Bisbee
10-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Lets see. I called RCBS to inquire about their (Case Activated Powder Drop). After many rings on the phone an operator came on and said somebody would get back to me within 24 hours, and sure enough they did. Exactly 24 hours later. To say the least I wasn't impressed with their CS. Anyway, I purchased the Hornady version that I am very happy with. When it was time for a lubesizer I went with Lyman w/heater. It works as it should and I have never had a problem with it.

huntinlever
10-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Owning a 45 and a LAM my preferred choice is the RCBS. As well as having owned a Star, notice that is past tense.
There are no flies on the 45 or 4500 per se, when looking between the Lyman and the RCBS both are a good product.
The advantage is that the dies interchange between the two, in my observations the RCBS is a bit more concentric between the two that I have. The sizer that win in the concentric dept is the Star period.
Warranty heck that is a no brainer RCBS.
Both are easy enough to use and set up.
Both use the same Top punch size.
The Star does not share dies or top punches with anything and cost more than the RCBS or Lyman while a great product that is it's only true down fall, and explains why I kicked it off my bench. It also can be a bit more pain to learn to get the stroke vs lube together, not difficult, just a different system than Lyman or RCBS.

Yep, the RCBS but I would not pass on a good buy in a 4500
Hope that helps even if it sounds wishy washy

The LAM was refined with the LAM II which has courser thread to help keep from cross threading the die retention nut which the LAM with the fine thread was it's chief complaint. The Lyman 45 uses a set screw, the 4500 uses a course thread. But if care is not taken any except the lyman 45 can be cross threaded. Because the 45 uses a setscrew it is not nearly as concentric.

I use the 45 for pistol, and the RCBS for rifles

Thank you Sgt, I appreciate the experience points. I'm predisposed to RCBS as well, but went ahead with the Lyman 4500, despite all the good reasons to go with the LAM II. It seems like a "we'll see" kind of thing. I only cast for my 1895, but will eventually also be casting the .44 mag, and might play with my son's 336 in 30-30, though for now, we're both liking the Sierra Pro-Hunter 170's we're using. One thing that makes it easier for me is that I size in the Lee Push Through at .460" (my bore is .458"), and only use the 4500 (or whatever one I'd be using in its place) for lubing - that die is .461".

I suspect this isn't the only sizer I'll be seeing. The Lam II is very much on the radar. Thanks again.

huntinlever
10-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Lets see. I called RCBS to inquire about their (Case Activated Powder Drop). After many rings on the phone an operator came on and said somebody would get back to me within 24 hours, and sure enough they did. Exactly 24 hours later. To say the least I wasn't impressed with their CS. Anyway, I purchased the Hornady version that I am very happy with. When it was time for a lubesizer I went with Lyman w/heater. It works as it should and I have never had a problem with it.

I've always had a good experience with both RCBS and Lyman. Lee, too, for that matter. I count my blessings, because I know there have been instances with all these companies that people have been less than happy about. Sounds like you have the 4500, like me. Just looking forward to running another few 1000 through, as I'm low. Good luck to you.