PDA

View Full Version : babbit lead

too many things
04-21-2014, 05:10 PM
is there anyone that uses it . this is VERY hard --Can break it like glass. it does mix but look like it would be too hard .
Its about 3times harder than zinc.
I have about 300lb that came from a bearing rebuild place .

madsenshooter
04-21-2014, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't use it straight. Good stuff for hardening WW alloy or mixing with pure to come up with a good usable alloy. There is a lot of info on here about using it.

Wots
04-21-2014, 05:30 PM
I use a 49% wheel weights, 49% soft lead, 2% babbit. Gives me a good fill out and shinny boolets to boot.

There are different types of babbit out there.

bangerjim
04-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Yes, use as a hardener and fill additive...........NOT to cast directly with.

There are MANY different formulas for the metal. Check out rorometals.com for a good listing of the different ones. Hope you know which one you have!

banger

garym1a2
04-21-2014, 06:40 PM
See what it is first. When I got a bunch it was mostly tin, I sold it off for about $10/lb for its tin.

is there anyone that uses it . this is VERY hard --Can break it like glass. it does mix but look like it would be too hard .
Its about 3times harder than zinc.
I have about 300lb that came from a bearing rebuild place .

357maximum
04-21-2014, 07:05 PM
I use a 49% wheel weights, 49% soft lead, 2% babbit. Gives me a good fill out and shinny boolets to boot.

There are different types of babbit out there.

That is exactly how I mix RailRoad babbit for several of my 2400-2700 fps rifles. My 35 Whelen eats alot of this alloy in waterdropped form with it's 2460 fps load of H414 or Hybrid100V.

too many things
04-21-2014, 09:23 PM
well will do a couple test to see hardness but it would be a hard thing to tell as this is in "pan" ingots that are what ever they melted. they are about 12in by 24in and about 1-1/2in thick
will see how to get them to fit a FR box and if anyone wants some ?????? what ever it is will let you guys know

Hardcast416taylor
04-21-2014, 10:04 PM
I would like some to try. What price are you thinking, per piece or by the box?Robert

Loony44
04-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Go to http://www.lasc.us/FelixBabbitbulletAlloy.htm and read. This will give you a lot answers to questions you may have.
I have a buddy that works at a high pressure steam plant and he gave my several pounds of babbit (92% tin) was what a salvage yard shot it, so I just use it as tin. If you have enough (pounds that is) you can sell off some if the Tin content is high, or trade for WW or pure lead.
Loony44

too many things
04-22-2014, 12:40 AM
thanks guys . member offered to test it. but this is a mis match of all types of bearing material. Tin is soft this stuff rings and some break like glass. I dont know melt temp as they burn the bearings out with a OX/Acy so temps could run from 400 to 900. there is no copper colors
if I have time this week will try to get the "ingots" in size to ship and let you all have first go .
There is no acid type stuff and all looks to be mostly clean other than there is some black from burned grease

NewbieDave007
04-22-2014, 02:05 AM
I hate to be the party pooper, but don't forget to get a few more valid posts and get to your 30 days before listing it for sale. Good luck.

tygar
04-22-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm interested also

too many things
04-22-2014, 06:33 PM
guys hold on for a while I need to work on how to get in smaller lots as cant ship the way it is .
If anyone is near the TRISTATE of wv oh ky near huntington wv let me know
but will be a while before I can do a melt . or a cut to smaller pieces .
thanks for all the mails but I dont know what its content. some hard but all I know is its a large mix of what ever is in bearings

62chevy
04-22-2014, 08:10 PM
guys hold on for a while I need to work on how to get in smaller lots as cant ship the way it is .
If anyone is near the TRISTATE of wv oh ky near huntington wv let me know
but will be a while before I can do a melt . or a cut to smaller pieces .
thanks for all the mails but I dont know what its content. some hard but all I know is its a large mix of what ever is in bearings

You live in a large metro are, well for WV, so you should have a salvage yard that can scan it and tell you what it is. Where did your Grandpa work to get this stuff that might be a clue too.