PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shooting .32-40 BPCR?

JeffinNZ
01-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Team.

One of our shooters suffered a motorcycle crash some time back and has not been able to tolerate the recoil of his .38 BPCR since. He is toying with the idea of a .32-40 for BPCR.

Anyone shooting one and have knowledge on said?

MT Chambers
01-05-2008, 01:19 AM
I use a 32/40 with black powder for target shooting and hunting, I have tried 3 diff. moulds and none of them shoot better for me breech seating as opposed to fixed ammo. I have 165gr. Lyman, 205 gr. Hoch nose pour , Saeco 200gr. tapered flat pt. i use Rem. 2 1/2 primers, w-w cs., and a full case of swiss 3fg.....I keep trying to better my groups(which aren't to bad) by breech seating, no luck so far......i find the ctg. is good for target shooting to 200yds. and no further as it won't reliably knock sillwets down beyond that.

JeffinNZ
01-05-2008, 05:09 AM
Many thanks for the reply.

When target shooting do you wipe between shots or use a blow tube?

Have you tried Swiss 2Fg or 1.5Fg?

MT Chambers
01-05-2008, 10:30 AM
i haven't tried the other(courser) swiss powders, i've tried Goex 3fg as well as duplex loads, and smokeless. Some of my smokeless loads have equaled the BP loads for accuracy, but not as much fun. When using str. Black(Swiss 3fg) I do not compress powder except for the use of a drop tube, and I use a blow tube between shots, I usually run a dry patch down the bore every 5 shots or so. This is still a "work in progress" for me, as i believe better accuracy could be achieved with breech seating, I just have to prove it!

NickSS
01-06-2008, 08:35 PM
I used to use one for two hundred yard matches. I had an original Marlin Ballard rifle in that caliber. It was not a target model but it did have an original tang sight and one of those globe/ blade flip front sights (forget the name of them). I used FFFG GOEX and a card wad cut from a milk carton. I forget the load data beyound that. It was a nice accurate rifle with low recoil and would shoot 3 to 4 inch groups at 200 yards all day long using a blow tube. I traded it to a friend of mine for a Marlin Pacific Ballard in not guite as nice condition but my Friend had the same trouble he could not deal with recoil.