PDA

View Full Version : miroku hammer/trigger

bigted
04-21-2014, 02:03 AM
well I stepped in it this time. had a shell primer fail and just punched the boolit in the barrel and stuck it there ... wait for it ... this is NOT the problem yet.

tore it apart as there was copious amounts of IMR 4227 spewed thru the action and added with oil it got real messy. when I read about tearing it apart ... when I got to the "remove the spring tension screw" portion is where stuff got interesting. upon taking this screw out ... the whole shebang ... {COIL spring affair} ... came sliding backwards at the speed of light.

wait for it ... still not to the problem yet;

got it apart completely and cleaned from stem to stern. figured as it was apart I just as well mount my Lyman 66A peep to the receiver so drilled the holes and tapped them. NOPE still no problem yet!

put everything back together and when I got to the hammer spring install I then had TROUBLE.

fooled round and got the coil spring and strut and spring holder back together ... BUT ... when I went to install this unit in the rifle I see that the tail of the spring retainer has ... er had ... a tail on it that slipped over the funky trigger setup and returns the trigger to the forward position so the sear engages the trigger setup.

NOW IS THE trouble ... the trigger will not return to engage the sear without this funky little tail of spring steel.

any ideas what kind of arctic engineering I can do to make it work ... or better yet ... find the part I need. I have looked everywhere I can think of ... even googled it but find no parts for our spiffy Miroku rifles.

HELP ... LOL

shooterbob
04-21-2014, 05:17 AM
Hmm maybe a strong magnet run across the floor to find that part lol. J/k
Maybe Numrich might have part for it. Gunbroker has a few miroku parts I've seen.

Tatume
04-21-2014, 06:25 AM
What model of rifle is it (1886, 71)?

Dryball
04-21-2014, 06:59 AM
My vote is Numerich's or Brownell's. If not try Turnbull...he specializes in "86 work. Also homesteadparts.com or http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/C-018-4

RickinTN
04-21-2014, 07:47 AM
I think Midwest Gunworks stocks parts for the Miroku rifles.
Good Luck,
Rick

NSB
04-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Bigted, call Turnbull's. They took the rebounding hammer and safety off my gun and replaced it with the original Browning set up. I'm sure that they have parts or can tell you who does. There's also a lot of posts with pics on this subject if you google it. I let Turnbull's do mine because I wanted the CC finish on the gun so I had it all done while it was there.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?12077-Winchester-Miroku-1886-Rebounding-Hammer-Fix-Tutorial

bigted
04-21-2014, 12:14 PM
rifle is a model 92. 2008 model. thanks for all the info ... I will investigate these idears.

I have the broken piece ... that is the BROKEN piece ... will be hard to weld/solder/braze the spring back on ... sooo ... will need nother whole piece. it is a plate style spring ... kinda like a tiny pickup spring on the axle underneath.

bigted
04-23-2014, 07:14 PM

so this is the broken part. it serves three functions ...1- secures the assembly to the lower tang [via the screw thru the bottom of the lower tang]... 2- provides a stop for the hammer spring ... 3- is the trigger/sear return spring [part that is broken off].

after disassembly it looks like this;

this is my fix for the rifle. it serves a few functions but the best is that it does away with the archaic flat spring and replaces it with a much smoother and more reliable coil spring. a bit of a bugger to install but once its rite ... like a dream;

so the byproduct is the trigger pull. it is much lighter now ... in the 2 pound area maybe less. crisp and easy to squeeze. have to dry fire it a few times to remember how lite it is before shooting ... kinda like my rem. roller now.

this began as a stopgap fix till I could get another spring holder but now I will use it as is for the ... [what I feel anyway] ... better setup and easier trigger pull.

I did find the OEM part on Numrich Arms tho. when it comes off back order I may just order one for the stock setup if I ever want to sell or trade it... doubt that tho ... she is a dandy.

it is the engraved model which gave me pause with this next thing I did to it;

this is on account of my eyes in such degenerated shape. I removed the screw in eye piece that came on the Lyman 66A receiver sight and now I have a dandy ghost ring rear sight that works very well with my eyes.

also I snipped off the rebound section of the hammer strut so now I do not have this function on my rifle ... I like the wrist mounted safe tho and elected to leave it as is.

that's all folks.

a much better presentation with a few more photo's on the "gunsmith tips n hints" section.