PDA

View Full Version : model 92 miroku parts

bigted
04-21-2014, 01:24 AM
well I stepped in it this time,

took my miroku 92 apart as I had some loaded rounds that were primed with primers from a very long time ago and the last round just sparked enough to stick a boolit in the barrel ... needles to say an action full of unburned IMR 4227 is messy specially soaked with oil. so I pulled apart my sweet rifle and when I got to removing the hammer spring ... my book sent me in the way wrong direction. asked me to remove the tension spring screw so I partially opened the action and removed the screw the book indicated needed to be removed at this time.

long story short when the screw came lose from the spring holder on the miroku 92 ... the whole portion of COIL hammer spring ... spring holder ... and rebound/strut came sliding backwards on the bottom plate.

so after getting everything cleaned up and re-oiled ... I got it all together when I remember the spring fiasco.

messing round I finally got it the spring sprung, strut poked thru the holder, small bent heavy wire inserted in the hole that I should have found before unscrewing the screw that let go all the spring and assembly. when I went to replace it in the action I see that in my fumbling round I somehow broke the tail off the stupid thing and wouldn't you know ... this "tail" goes into the trigger return stuff and holds the trigger in the forward position for sear engagement.

so ... long story LONG ... I am looking for the hammer spring attachment piece. went to Brownells ... no luck. looked at Porterfield's Midway USA ... no joy. looked on the net in Google ... no joy either.

any ideas on where to look for the piece I broke ... or replace something so I do not need it? except for the trigger return ... everything works just rite. maybe there is an aftermarket setup for this or a trick to help me out.

thanks for the wisdom,

Ted

bigted
04-22-2014, 03:27 PM
well guess nobody has anything to add here! :confused:

so I will answer my own question for those of you that either don't have a clue on what I ask ... or ... haven't any experience yet with these snazzy rifles.

I did find a place where parts are available for these rifles. it is from "Numrich Arms". they have or have available ... parts for the Japan built rifles from or for Winchester.

being impatient tho ... I wrestled with the broken flat spring issue for a couple days and arrived at an improvement to the trigger return over the simple and fragile flat spring that does double duty with the hammer spring strut.

I experimented with a ball point pen coil spring ... I sprung the tight end so I had a coil spring that had 2 ends that extend out so that tension is tendered on both ends AND the circle of the main spring that is still wound in the round state will fit over the pin that currently holds another horizontal gizmo that im not sure what it does ... however I took my home made spring and installed it over the pin [I drifted it partially out and back in with the home made spring captured over the pin] so that 1 end puts tension on the trigger return portion of the sear ... and the other end is snapped down on the bottom of the lower tang to provide the needed tension. kinda like the springs in an AR-15 trigger assembly. in fact ... im going to search for a spring that will do exactly what I want it to do and then ... that simple flat spring that is more fragile then the bolt/trigger return in a 1873 colt revolver will be replaced with a reliable return spring.

so there is my answer to my own question ... hope this benefits others. wish I had taken pictures and maybe I will as the ball point pen spring is still in the rifle and when I replace it with a proper spring ... I will photo the procedure for a better explanation of what I speak about.

Nrut
04-22-2014, 08:40 PM
I have several japchesters both 86's and 92's, so thanks for the info..

bigted
04-23-2014, 05:49 PM
begin by taking the but stock off.

now need to cock the hammer and find the hole in the hammer strut ... put a small piece of bent wire thru the hole to capture the strut and after this ... release the tension on the hammer and remove the spring assembly.

so now here is my broken flat spring. don't know if this will happen to anyone else but did to me so that is the reason for this posting

so now you will want to remove the hammer pivot screw to release the hammer, lower tang and thus allow access to the sear portion that the flat spring rested on.

bigted
04-23-2014, 06:32 PM
so now punch out partially this pin. be mindfull to punch it out from left to right as it is knurled on the right end [the pin] and to drive it to the left would force this knurling thru the wrong way. besides this ... the left side of the pin is where you ... er me ... would want to place my home made spring.

here is my "fix" for my rifle and it works very well. a little bit of a bugger getting this rite so it works well but after it is in and operating ... it works just as well or better then the archaic flat spring.

now reassemble the rifle in the opposite way it came apart. go slow and don't force anything and it will come out just fine.

so there is my sordid tale and I hope that it is of help.

another GREAT byproduct is the trigger squeeze. it is now just plain wonderful. I would estimate it to be less then 2 pounds and nice n crisp. I clipped off the hammer rebound section of the hammer strut so now no more rebounding hammer ... however I like the wrist mounted safe so I kept it as is. it is great for practice dry firing but don't know for how long ... time will tell I guess.

also as is noted above... I installed the Lyman 66A receiver peep and removed the eyepiece for a dandy ghost ring type of rear sight. I like it a bunch and even the engraved receiver which caused me hesitation ... is so much better for my eyes that I flat don't care about the engraved receiver ... been a shooter all my life and if I cant shoot it ... then it goes by by.

uscra112
04-26-2014, 03:30 AM
Jeeeeepers! Makes me want to sell mine before I have to do anything to it.

TXGunNut
04-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Glad you got it back together. Seems every time I go looking for a part I find new suppliers. I have 3 or 4 that are pretty good in their own way but sometimes you have to do some exploring. I've learned the live chat feature on Brownells is very useful, the gunsmiths that help out there are very knowledgeable. I prefer not to fabricate parts but it seems you did well.