PDA

View Full Version : Pot cracked

tomme boy
04-21-2014, 12:55 AM
I was melting some lead today and as it was heating up, I heard a tinK. Didn't think anything of it really. I got the jackets and clips skimmed off and started to pour some ingots. As I got the cast iron pot almost empty is when I noticed a crack all the way up the side. I can't believe it didn't leak. I have never beat on this pot. Has anyone else had this happen? It is about 6 years old. And of course from China.

Now, what to use for a pot? A friend has a couple of 134A freon tanks. How much would one of those hold if cut in half?

pretzelxx
04-21-2014, 01:00 AM
Not sure how much it holds, but I hear they work amazingly well! Sad to hear your pot broke, at least there wasn't a massive spill!

MaLar
04-21-2014, 01:11 AM
They hold all most 100LBS. It's what I use to alloy in, then use a large dutch oven/cast iron pot.
Works great for me.

LaMar

JASON4X4
04-21-2014, 07:44 AM
I also use a freon tank I cut in half and welded some Handles on. I only fill it about half way and get over 60lbs of ingots from it. If I put to much in it I can't hold it long enough to pour all my ingots at once

w5pv
04-21-2014, 08:46 AM
I say the hell with China made anything,but I have seen items made in the US crack also.Cast iron exhaust headers,fry pans and pots.Cast iron has a tendency to crack.

country gent
04-21-2014, 09:24 AM
I just had my Dutch oven crack on me It was from harbor frieght and almost 20 years old, crack was accros the bottom and leaked before it cooled down. I had started with "low" heat as I new it was cold. I heard the tink and a couple sparks then lead dripping. I cut a 25lb propane cylinder about 2" above the bottom radious and a 3" wide ring to support it on. This new pot also has a rounded bottom allowing lead to be ladled to a much lower level from it. I ve cast 3 times with it now and its working great. One more session to see how mych it holds total then weld stand ring on and a ring support handle at the top.

FLYCUTTER
04-21-2014, 09:43 AM
I use a 50 pound Freon 22 can cut 1/4 from the top and welded 1" pipe on 3 sides for handles and I get 175# of lead with one melt. I beefed up the frame on my turkey fryer to handle the weight. The burner is 175,000 btu and sounds like a jet engine when the regulator is wide open. Getting back to the Freon tank , I used it for years with no problems. The Chinese cast iron pots at harbor freight will crack on you. Happened to me and what a mess.

osteodoc08
04-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Theres a member on here that sells converted propane tanks. I hear they work well. I wanted to buy one a few months ago, but couldnt afford it at the time. Soon. Soon.

jmort
04-21-2014, 10:29 AM
D Crockett. I think he is back at it after some fool got him mad. Don't blame him. I got two of his cut propane tanks. Very happy. Will never mess with cast iron for smelting again.

threewheels
04-21-2014, 10:50 AM
drill a hole at the end of the crack so it won't crack further then v grind the crack out the heat the crack area with a cutting torch till all most red hot then weld leaving the drilled hole to weld last did this to a pot 6 years ago still going strong today if you don't drill the hole it will keep cracking as you weld it . the thing with cast this time of year is it has been sitting in the cold then you put it on a a high heat burner heat it to fast it cracks

w5pv
04-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Did you use NI rod to weld it with?I have had problems with it cracking again most of the time along where it was welded.

DLCTEX
04-21-2014, 12:26 PM
I weld cast iron with 6013 rods. The trick is to heat the iron to a red, weld, reheat, and let cool under a bucket or tub to slow cooling as much as possible. I used this method back in the day to customize exhaust manifolds that I wanted to change the hookup or to split 6 cylinder manifolds for dual exhaust split 4/2.

deepwater
04-21-2014, 01:14 PM
I agree with DLCTEX, pre and post heating is the trick when welding cast iron. We have done extrensive testing with mild steel rods and 6011 worked well (same carbon content as 6013 - .6%).
A lot of large castings are now repaired with mild steel mig welding. The joint is prepared in a "finger" interlocking pattern, buttered with mig and then the mig steel covered fingers welded up. For the DIY, follow DLCTEX procedure.

deepwater

w5pv
04-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the post guys,I got the equipment to weld with just to dang old to care.Haven't heard of spliting a manifold in along time.There was some than ran split manifolds trying to get an old inline six to sound like a V eight.

captaint
04-23-2014, 10:34 AM
I have the cast Harbor Freight cheapie. So far, it's OK. I do heat it up slowly. If it ever does crack, I'll be using the half propane tank. That's my take. Mike

gtgeorge
04-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Good wakeup call for me thinking about over 100#'s of lead suddenly in my lap as I never considered the pot cracking. Well on my feet and legs anyhow.

zuke
04-26-2014, 07:29 AM
Never used cast for a pot because I don't like cast in the first place. Everything has it's place, but with molten lead, I don't play game's.
I found a used stainless steel pressure cooker at a flea market for a buck and use it

imashooter2
04-26-2014, 10:31 AM
In 2007, I had a Harbor Freight 12 inch Dutch oven crack right up the side the first time heat hit it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?14098-Well-ain-t-this-a-treat!

RoGrrr
04-26-2014, 11:37 AM
The possibility of the pot cracking is one reason I welded my smelter out of structural steel and put a valve in the bottom of it. The other reason was the distinct possibility/probability that I would drop a load of molten lead and injure myself or cause a fire.

bangerjim
04-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Darn......and I thought this thread was about another weed party for those bozos in CO with a new version.....POT with CRACK!

HA.......ha

banger