PDA

View Full Version : Help ID Winchester Hulls

jdgabbard
04-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Ok, to do a comparison shoot, I purchased some Winchester 12ga Super-X hulls today. They were labeled as Xpert High Velocity Steel Shot, Game & Target. 2-3/4" 1325fps, 1oz, #6 steel shot.

Using the Lyman 5th edition to help describe these shells, externally they look identical to the bottom listed Winchester Shell on page 34, Polyformed Plastic with Plastic Basewad 2-3/4" shell. However, internally the wad looks like the shell on top of page 31: Polyformed with Plastic Basewad 3".

My phone is dead, and I have no other way to post pictures at the moment. Anyone have any input on these? I know that the three listed shells have interchangeable data per the 5th Edition manual. However, this basewad is clearly unlike those three listed.

jdgabbard
04-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Nobody has any clue? I don't believe that for a minute...

tomme boy
04-23-2014, 01:50 PM
They are Steel steels and treat them that way. They have their own steel data.

jdgabbard
04-23-2014, 07:10 PM
Ok, so they are a no-go for shooting lead. Well, I guess I'll just hold into them, may find someone who needs them someday.

sargenv
04-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Most of them are the polyformed plastic with plastic basewad.. best bet is to cut one open and compare it to a known hull... and make your comparisons that way.. Ballistic Products likely has load data for them.. They seem to have load data for everything worth reloading..

trapper9260
04-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Ok, to do a comparison shoot, I purchased some Winchester 12ga Super-X hulls today. They were labeled as Xpert High Velocity Steel Shot, Game & Target. 2-3/4" 1325fps, 1oz, #6 steel shot.

Using the Lyman 5th edition to help describe these shells, externally they look identical to the bottom listed Winchester Shell on page 34, Polyformed Plastic with Plastic Basewad 2-3/4" shell. However, internally the wad looks like the shell on top of page 31: Polyformed with Plastic Basewad 3".

My phone is dead, and I have no other way to post pictures at the moment. Anyone have any input on these? I know that the three listed shells have interchangeable data per the 5th Edition manual. However, this basewad is clearly unlike those three listed.

I have look at the same book you have and if you look at page 309 for the last one you said that it looks like have the data for that one that you said look inside but for steel. But if look at the data for the one that you said that look like on the outside you can use it for lead and steel. because if you look at the data for lead and steel for the same hull you are able to use the same hulls but different data.There is some hulls that are use for both steel and lead or non lead loads. If is was me I would use them if that is what you have. But I let that up to you. but if it comes to the first one that is the way it looks then go by that check you book on all the data for the hulls you have and go from there.