PDA

View Full Version : fluxing question

twc1964
04-20-2014, 09:25 PM
Ok guys, I'm using saw dust to flux my lead during smelting. how much do i need to put in each time and do i stir it in immediately or let it burn up first? I've got to resmelt ingots i made saturday cause they look speckled. guess i didn't get it clean.

62chevy
04-20-2014, 10:42 PM
If you can upload some pictures that would help more than just saying speckled. I have some wheel weight ingots that have speckles in them and there is noting wrong with them. Not saying yours are good or bad.

twc1964
04-20-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm working off of a p.o.s cell phone lol. I can't acess the pic loading on this site. having computer service in my area seems to be worth gold. wish. i could load pics though.

Czech_too
04-21-2014, 05:24 AM
I'm wearing welding gloves while fluxing & put in a good pinch of the sawdust. Probably comes close to 1/4 cup I suppose. I don't let it just sit on top of the melt. Rather I stir it into it, at the same time scrapping the bottom & the sides of the pot. Using a long handled slotted metal spoon of sorts. Do this a few times & I'm usually good to go. That's when I get out the soup ladle.

fredj338
04-24-2014, 03:54 PM
I use a couple tbs in a 4qt dutch oven worth of lead, maybe 30#? Stir it in right after you add it, scoop off the crud, pour the ingots. I am not sure what you mean by "speckled", but if ladling into ingot molds, the alloy should be pretty clean, just don't scoop up any crud.

fastfire
04-25-2014, 01:26 AM
Using a HF cast iron pot I try to get a 1/2" layer on top, then let it burn and scrap it off.

cdngunner
04-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Speckles....you need to stir well and make sure you scrape the sides and bottom well.

dikman
04-25-2014, 07:28 AM
There's no law that says you must only use so much. It doesn't matter if you put in too much, just wack it in and keep stirring!

Eagle66
04-25-2014, 08:58 AM
OK, no one's said mentioned a point that has been brought up in other threads similar to this one. At this stage of the process, the presence of a few "speckles" is no big deal. TWC, your ingots sound like they're just fine for smelted lead. Remember that you're not casting boolits at this stage of the process, just cleaning up whatever scrap you have for later use. When it comes to boolit time, then you will be doing more fluxing before casting. Then, your melt will go into the mould nice and clean, and come out shiny new boolits. :-P

Smoke4320
04-25-2014, 12:37 PM
everyone has their own process .. none are wrong if they are getting the good end result
so here goes mine .. I get lead smelted the add a good handful of cedar dog bed chips to 50 to 100 Lbs of lead
light it, let it burn to black and stir into lead scraping sides and bottom very well.. then scoop off dross . flux again stir and discard dross, if I get much from 2nd fluxing I will do it a third time..
this way I end up with clean lead going into my casting pot .. no spout plugging issues at all..
I find it much easier to get it at this stage then in my casting pot .. But hey I flux there to just in case..

twc1964
04-25-2014, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all the comments. i really enjoy this forum and tend to err on the side of anal when getting info. I'm sure with time i will get the hang of this hobby. but hey, I'm already enjoying it!

country gent
04-25-2014, 11:55 PM
Experiment a little, Im using wood chips ( bedding) sawdust with a little wax or paraffin added. I put the sawdust in and let heat make sure its dry then a small amount of paraffin and start stirring scrapping the pot good till the wood is done smoking and ashen. This I remove with a slotted serving spoon. My molten lead comes out looking like a mirror and casts very well. Another thing to remember is to allow temp to come back after fluxing the pot as it may drop slightly from addition of fluxes and stiring causing issues. When pouring ingots pour as continuously as possible and draw from the bottom of the pot as best you can. If pot gets dull look maybe flux again quick.
Wood chips work very good on my 100+ lb pot I use between 1/2 cup and 1 cup of chips enough to cover it lightly. A small handfull works. I started with wax parrafin years ago and just cant give it up. Some use motor oil wax parrafin woodchips and store bought fluxes.