PDA

View Full Version : Built something new

waksupi
04-20-2014, 04:03 PM
I was rummaging through my supplies a couple days ago, and found some 02 steel I had left over from a project. Waste not, want not, I didn't want to toss it.
I had never made a folding knife before, so put this together. Far from perfect, but I'm kinda pleased for a first attempt. Couple of water drops included on the knife, courtesy of the snow spitting down.

FrankG
04-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Nothing wrong with that ! Looks like a good strong working knife !

Bored1
04-20-2014, 04:18 PM
That a good looking knife! Nice job.

GARD72977
04-20-2014, 04:25 PM
good work Rick!

freebullet
04-20-2014, 07:06 PM
That is very nice. If you decide you don't like it I will dispose of it for you.

jeepyj
04-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Nicely done. it appears you are quite talented.
jeepyj

buckwheatpaul
04-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Wonderful job...just wish I had the knowledge and the know how to make a beautiful knife like that......

DCM
04-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Very nice knife.

Garyshome
04-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Nice job!

Bzcraig
04-20-2014, 09:19 PM
I'd pay for it!

xs11jack
04-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Great knife, you are a mufti-talented craftsman.
Ole Jack

Bo1
04-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Very nice lookin piece ther Ric
Bo

Artful
04-21-2014, 12:22 AM
Well Done Sir - so what didn't you like about what you made?

waksupi
04-21-2014, 12:25 AM
Well Done Sir - so what didn't you like about what you made?

There are a few small issues that you have to look for, but they are there.

missionary5155
04-21-2014, 02:33 AM
Good morning
Looks good from 5000 miles ! What did you use for the spring ? Blade length ? Thickness ?
Nice part about building your own is you know what the steel is and how hard it is.
Put too many pictures like this one and you will be undulated with knife requests to go along with the smoke poles.
Mike in Peru

KYShooter73
04-21-2014, 03:00 AM
Very nice. I've wanted to try my hand at knife making for a while now. Maybe that will be my project next winter.

waksupi
04-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Good morning
Looks good from 5000 miles ! What did you use for the spring ? Blade length ? Thickness ?
Nice part about building your own is you know what the steel is and how hard it is.
Put too many pictures like this one and you will be undulated with knife requests to go along with the smoke poles.
Mike in Peru

I used the same steel for the spring, as the blade. It is 1/8" X 3 1/4".

tomme boy
04-21-2014, 11:46 AM
I really like file work on knives. It really makes them stand out. Very nice

Just Duke
04-22-2014, 03:58 AM
What are the bolsters made of?

waksupi
04-22-2014, 09:10 AM
What are the bolsters made of?

I used some of the same steel as the rest of the knife. That was kinda dumb, as I have several alloys I could have sand cast that would have been much easier to work with. However, I wanted to solder them to the liners, and was kind of concerned about the heat range involved. I'll experiment with that a bit before making another. I'm sure I have some higher temp alloys I can safely use.

gnoahhh
04-22-2014, 02:52 PM
I used 02 steel for the last knife blade I made. I'm curious how you heat treated your blade. I carefully heated the edge of the blade cherry red with a torch leaving the back of the blade untouched, then quenched in motor oil. Instead of drawing the temper after quenching I left it hard as sin, while the back of the blade remains soft. The goal was to have an edge holding cutting surface while having the balance of the blade be soft to keep it from snapping/breaking. It seems to work, as it holds an edge like nobody's business. I'm wondering if I didn't commit a knifemaking no-no!

nekshot
04-22-2014, 04:28 PM
very nice indeed. I messed with enough of knife making to know and appreciate what it takes to get it that nice!

waksupi
04-22-2014, 05:08 PM
I used 02 steel for the last knife blade I made. I'm curious how you heat treated your blade. I carefully heated the edge of the blade cherry red with a torch leaving the back of the blade untouched, then quenched in motor oil. Instead of drawing the temper after quenching I left it hard as sin, while the back of the blade remains soft. The goal was to have an edge holding cutting surface while having the balance of the blade be soft to keep it from snapping/breaking. It seems to work, as it holds an edge like nobody's business. I'm wondering if I didn't commit a knifemaking no-no!

Pretty much backwards from what I do. I heat from the back, bringing the temperature from red to orange, then quench in ATF. Polish so I can see colors, and slowly heat from the back until just past straw on the edge, then quench again. This gives what you are trying to do, rather than ending up with an easily broken edge as you now have.

btroj
04-22-2014, 05:20 PM
I just have to ask, roughly how long did that take start to finish?

Way beyond my abilities, that is for sure

waksupi
04-22-2014, 06:57 PM
I just have to ask, roughly how long did that take start to finish?

Way beyond my abilities, that is for sure

I imagine between 8 and 10 hours, considering I had to remake the spring a time or two!

btroj
04-22-2014, 07:14 PM
I figured about that.

Makes a guy understand why a custom knife isn't cheap. 8 hours at even 20 and hour is 160 in labor alone. Add 20 to 40 in materials and you hit 250 in a hurry. Retail needs to be 300 plus to really make any money.

Nicely done but we wouldn't expect any less

btroj
04-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Yep. Been there, done that. Made a bunch of nice leather shooting bags when I was doing the muzzle loading thing. Sold many for 60 to 75 dollars but lots of guys figured they could buy a hunk of cheap leather and whip one up.

Skill takes time to develop, time costs money.

Want good work, then pay for it. Some of us appreciate that experience has value. Sadly, many do not.

waksupi
04-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Yep. Been there, done that. Made a bunch of nice leather shooting bags when I was doing the muzzle loading thing. Sold many for 60 to 75 dollars but lots of guys figured they could buy a hunk of cheap leather and whip one up.

Skill takes time to develop, time costs money.

Want good work, then pay for it. Some of us appreciate that experience has value. Sadly, many do not.

I had many over the years think I was too high on prices, and said they would do it their self. Many of them became customers, and repeat customers, after they figured out there is a learning curve, and that curve costs time and money. I've been around that curve in many arts and disciplines.

I deleted my previous post, didn't want to sound like a whiner!

dikman
04-24-2014, 02:49 AM
gnoahhh, it's not so much a knifemaking no-no, rather something that wouldn't normally be done. Yes, you will have a very hard cutting edge, but it will be very brittle and prone to chipping easily. It will also be harder to sharpen.

Nice blade, Waksupi. :drinks:

gnoahhh
04-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the advice re: hardening. (So far after 8 years of regular use, the edge hasn't chipped, and sharpening really isn't too bad- but then again sharpening tools is an everyday occurrence for me to the extent where I maintain a dedicated sharpening station consisting of diamond technology, water stones, and hard Arkansas.)

Good thoughts on the philosophy of arts/craftsmanship. I don't personally know Waksupi, but I admire his skills and thank him for his willingness to share his knowledge. Being someone who makes his living in a similar manner, I can appreciate that. (I build exact repros of early scientific instruments/apparatus for use in our college program.)

I had a student (college Junior) come to me a couple weeks ago who wanted to make a folding knife as her first craftsman project. I talked her out of it and will help her make a small sheath knife this summer instead. That way she'll learn a bit of metal working, wood working, and leather working all in one project. (I'll give her either some tool steel for the blade or some of my dwindling stash of wonderful old power hacksaw blade material.)

Sweetpea
04-25-2014, 05:57 PM
Ric, once again, you are a true craftsman...

MBTcustom
04-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Yeah, it's not perfect, but it's a dam sight better than my first attempt! I still remember that too. I was trying to make myself a Spyderco Endura. Didn't work out so well. Ended up just buying the dam knife and went back to making fixed blade knives.
Good fun there Ric!

1bilmr59
04-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Nice I wish I had that talent

Hardcast416taylor
04-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Nice looking knife project. Hope you don`t do the same thing I seemed to do with every knife I made - I would always find a way to cut myself before I was finished!Robert

waksupi
04-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Nice looking knife project. Hope you don`t do the same thing I seemed to do with every knife I made - I would always find a way to cut myself before I was finished!Robert

I knew I forgot something. I don't consider a project finished if I haven't bled on it!

gnoahhh
04-26-2014, 10:44 AM
I was fortunate in knowing Bill Moran 25+ years ago when I lived a stone's throw from his forge. I stopped by one day and he showed me a beautiful sheath knife he had just finished, Damascus blade of course. He said he nicknamed it "Thirsty" because of all the times he cut himself while making it.

Artful
04-26-2014, 06:08 PM
He said he nicknamed it "Thirsty" because of all the times he cut himself while making it.

I have a wonderful Gerber folding skinning knife - nicknamed "Nick" - guess why :twisted:

I have a broken powerhack saw blade and a set of large planner blades I'm holding back to try my hand at a knife making session one day.

waksupi
04-26-2014, 06:17 PM
I have a bunch of old planer blades I got at the scrap yard years ago. I don't know what type of steel they are, but I could not work them, aside from grinding. I tried forging them, and made no impression at all. I heated them FAR beyond usual forging heat. Couldn't drill them, either. I did find out they made dandy hide scrapers, though!