PDA

View Full Version : Roast/baked chicken.

Changeling
04-20-2014, 03:35 PM
This is a recipe that is part of the way I cook/eat. It is not unique, but extremely good and very quick to make. Some of you guys will probably recognise it, some won't. Leftovers can be stored /frozen easily and/or reheated the next day.

One whole or half chicken cleaned and soaked in some salt water (Brine) for a couple hours at least or overnight. 1 envelope of Lipton Onion Soup mix.
A generous supply of carrots/potatoes/cellery/ 1 medium onion peled and quartered. It's best to add more vegetables than you think necessary, trust me!

A roasting pan big enough to contain the chicken plus vegetables.

Put the chicken in the pan, the veges in this order layered evenly around the pot, the quartered/halved potatoes/ carrots cut to 3.5 inch pieces, cellery in 3.5 inch pieces, the quartered onion in N-S-E-W sections of the pan.
Pour in 1/4 cup water.

Open the Onion soup envelope and sprinkle it's contents over the entire contents of the pot, put on the Lid and cook at 350 deg (pre heated) oven for 1 hour 45 minutes, check for being done, if not cook another 30 minutes.

The same recipe works very well with just about any kind of meat. Add salt and pepper to plate before eating to your desired level.

frankenfab
04-20-2014, 07:30 PM
That's pretty much how I make pork roast in the crock pot. I cook the meat with the soup mix on top for 2-3 hours, then add the veggies. I don't use celery, but I put a can of whole kernel corn in. I agree with you about the vegetable quantities. I can't get enough of the carrots!

MaryB
04-20-2014, 11:53 PM
Next time try roasting it uncovered so it browns and the skin gets crispy, I do chicken all the time that way.

Changeling
04-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Next time try roasting it uncovered so it browns and the skin gets crispy, I do chicken all the time that way.

That won't be long MaryB, I bought a chicken about an hour ago, cooking it tomorrow.

frankenfab: Man you are dead right on the Carrots, I think about how many I wan to add then double it

MaryB
04-22-2014, 12:19 AM
Just add a little liquid to the pan if it looks dry, I roasted a leg/thigh quarter tonight at 425 without and veg under it. Super crispy skin.

Shiloh
05-01-2014, 08:20 AM
Don't be afraid to add extra onion. ;)

Shiloh

Changeling
05-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Hi Shiloh, not afraid. One night I cooked it as normal but decided to add a couple big onions (I like im a lot), however those 2 onions and the package of Lipton onion soup mix sorta took it OVER the top, so now I just use 1 onion, and garlic, a "man has to know his limitations on garlic", Clint Eastwood, LOL.

MaryB
05-07-2014, 11:14 PM
There is no limit on garlic, I eat the stuff raw...

Shiloh
05-17-2014, 09:16 AM
There is no limit on garlic, I eat the stuff raw...

It'll repeat on you, and you'll be re-enjoying all day long.

Shiloh

MaryB
05-17-2014, 11:02 PM
I am one of those people who sweat out garlic... stink for a day after eating a lot.

Hickory
05-18-2014, 06:00 AM
I am one of those people who sweat out garlic... stink for a day after eating a lot.
Roasted garlic will not produce as much offensive smell as
raw garlic, plus roasted garlic tastes better, at least to me.

buckwheatpaul
05-18-2014, 12:48 PM
I had this beautiful roasting chicken just itchin' to get cooked....tried this recipe two days ago......made my mouth feel really good....thanks for the receipe!

MaryB
05-18-2014, 11:45 PM
But I LIKE raw garlic :p you should see how much I put in my garlic butter for garlic toast. Gets barely cooked.

TXGunNut
05-19-2014, 12:35 AM
Thanks, guys...and Mary. A couple of whole chickens just made my shopping list. Did I mention I have a recently-broke-in electric smoker stashed around here somewhere?

MaryB
05-19-2014, 11:05 PM
I smoked some chicken quarters the other day. Good stuff for sandwich's. Only downside to slow smoked chicken is rubber skin. I suppose I could crank the heat up a bit at the end and crisp it but I really should eat less of the skin.

Silfield
05-21-2014, 07:36 AM
I recently came across a French recipe for a chicken stuffed with 7 to 10 whole bulbs of garlic! I dont know if I am brave enough to try it but it certainly sounded good. Once cooked the garlic was squeezed out of the skins and used as a dressing for the meat.

TheDoctor
05-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Have not tried them with chicken, but when roasting beef like this, try using purple potatoes. Wife brought some home one day, and I was like "what in the world are those"? I tell you, they are GOOD! My new favorites for anything roasted or crock pot cooked.