PDA

View Full Version : I'n new here....

spurgon
01-04-2008, 06:30 PM
and I'd like to learn to cast my own bullets. There's alot of knowhow here for sure.

From what I've read so far, I've gotten 2 cast iron muffin pans for my ingots

( they release the ingot more easily) (round so as to go in the furnace better), and a

cast iron dutch oven about 10x5" for the smelting pot. Wheel weights are ready but

got rained on so I'll have to dry them out somehow . Any suggestions/

thanks
spurgon

dubber123
01-04-2008, 06:46 PM
If you start with a cold pot, the water will be boiled off long before the lead begins to melt. By all means drain as much water from them as possible, and never add any cold or wet wheelweights to melted lead, the tinsel fairy will surely appear, and she's a bitch.

dubber123
01-04-2008, 06:55 PM
A big strainer type spoon is handy for getting he clips and crap seperated from the alloy. You can usually get one for a couple bucks, and saves a bunch of time fishing the clips out with a regular spoon. Make sure anything, including you strainer-spoon stays warm, dipping even a cold spoon into hot lead can get interesting.

hotwheelz
01-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I usually spread all my lead out on the garge floor the night befor smelting to make sure there dry if they have been outside or if I think they are wet. and like dubber123 said when first starting it will burn off before it becomes a problem.

Buckshot
01-05-2008, 03:15 PM
If you start with a cold pot, the water will be boiled off long before the lead begins to melt. By all means drain as much water from them as possible, and never add any cold or wet wheelweights to melted lead, the tinsel fairy will surely appear, and she's a bitch.

..............Yeah, but boy is she HOT !:-)

................Buckshot