PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs 22 cal gc mold

GOPHER SLAYER
04-20-2014, 02:09 PM
I tried my new RCBS 22 cal mold yesterday and the results are not pretty. I always cast with at least two molds so one can cool while the other is being filled. Yesterday I also cast with my Hoch 32 cal and the results were excellent. I had trouble with this mold until you guys told me to pour on more heat. The 22 mold was not only producing bad bullets, after about two hours of poor results the mold began producing bullets with more fins than any fish in the sea. I could find no lead on the mold blocks anywhere inside or out. Maybe you can tell me what to do with the 22 caliber mold. Within reason of course. Attached are the pictures of my wasted labors.

runfiverun
04-20-2014, 04:16 PM
ahh flashing in the venting lines.
I get this if I try to pressure pour.
one thing I did have to fix on my mold was the alignment pins, they will hold the mold open just a hair.
you also need to concentrate on mold heat not alloy heat and how you pour into the mold.
I slowed down the pour rate of my pot and just dribble the lead into the mold from the side of the sprue hole, allowing the sprue hole to let the air out.
you also need to keep a very steady pace of filling opening and closing.
I don't even wait to let the alloy harden on top of the plate I just fill and open and dump and fill open and dump.
my time is spent concentration on keeping a steady consistent fill of the mold.