PDA

View Full Version : Diving Weights & Ohous ingots?

ShooterAZ
04-20-2014, 01:00 PM
About a month ago I bought 4 buckets of scrap lead. 3 were wheel weights, one was recovered range scrap, or so I thought. I have already sorted & smelted all the WW. Upon pouring out the range scrap into my smelter, at the bottom is a bunch of diving weights, and what appears to be fishing net weights. Also there was several ingots marked Ohaus. I'm melting the fishing net weights with the range scrap, but I separated the diving weights & Ohaus ingots until someone might know what they are, and OK to cast with. Thanks...Shooter

RickinTN
04-20-2014, 01:30 PM
The Ohaus ingots are whatever someone smelted and poured in them, so anyone's guess. I think I understand diving weights would be the same mystery metal.
Good Luck,
Rick

runfiverun
04-20-2014, 04:04 PM
my biggest competitor for ww's in the mid-90's was a company making diving weights from them.
I have also seen molds to make your own home-made dive weights...

Toymaker
04-20-2014, 04:48 PM
Ohaus made bullet and ingot molds so the lead could be anything. Diving weights also tend to be made of anything they can get their hands on. I had two diving weights my son gave me. Shaved a little off and added a couple of drops of hydrochloric acid. No reaction. I separated them and slowly melted them down. When they reached 700°F I held it there and stirred it up. Didn't get any "oatmeal". They tested BHN 10 so they were good for my uses.

Alchemist
04-23-2014, 08:37 AM
my biggest competitor for ww's in the mid-90's was a company making diving weights from them.
I have also seen molds to make your own home-made dive weights...

I used to make dive weights with range scrap recovered from the local police range. Nearly all .38 cal wadcutters. If the weights are fairly easy to dent or scratch, I wouldn't be afraid to cast boolits with them. You might want to use just the dive weights by themselves until you know they make good boolits. Then you could alloy them with other metal if you wanted to.

jakharath
04-23-2014, 09:27 AM
The dive weights may be worth more as actual dive weights. May try posting on your local craigslist.