PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Members, a little help, please

StrawHat
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi All and Happy New Year,

My work will be taking me to Chicago over the next couple of weeks or months.

Any good gun shops, restaurants, etc. I should not miss?

Thanks

West Creek
01-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Well I aint exactly from chicago but just a days ride south from there. Old man daily pretty well got toten fellers run outta town. Dont care much ta chew no fat with him. Good eats can be found at the Blue Ox on the near north side though. plenty of other goodplaces ta eat around town there too. I always look for an old pub - most genally they got some perdy good sandwiches.

garandsrus
01-04-2008, 09:36 PM
StrawHat,

The CMP store in Port Clinton Ohio will only be about a 6 hour ride from you :)

John

Old Ironsights
01-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Poor bastich... I feel for ya, havin ta come up here to the Empire of Daley during the dead of winter... :holysheep

As for "must see" places... well... what's your bag?

Chicago is pretty much like any other big city in that it can generally satisfy any quirk if you have enough $$$.

Just don't bring guns... or cigarettes. Both are illegal most places you want/need to have them.

I do suggest doing the Sears Tower thing. Also, go to the Visitor's center near Millenium Station/Randolph Street and get the $5 CTA pass. Saves you boucoup $$$ over cash fare.

If you PM me with your itenerary/work particulars I can steer you a little better.

StrawHat
01-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the replies,

Good news, my trip may not happen.

Bad news is the lack of gun shops in the Chicago area!

I use the tip about the older pubs wherever I go, better crowd of people and good food. I usually hit the Mom & Pops and rarely eat in those chain restaurants.

Thanks again

01-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Check out the U-505 while you're there.

Bad Water Bill
01-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Be careful. With the new law of 2008 NO Smoking of the $8.00 + per pack in ANY public place. This could mean sidewalks depending on the cop. Probably ONLY the minimum fine tho ( $200.00 ) Yes this is the land that brought you Durban, Hillary and Obama . BWB :castmine:

piwo
01-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Chicago has it all of course, every type of cuisine on this planet, and good ones in every category. It's just SO FREAKING big, gas is more valuable then gold, traffic sucks, and getting around if you aren't prepared is tedious. Decide what you want, make a plan, and go for it. Museums (go to the Fields Museum AWSOME), restaurants, famous architecture, you can’t go wrong.

Because of my lineage, I am unable to enter that city without going to the 3000 block of N. Milwaukee Ave, where "Little Poland" exists. I go for the food, all the imported booze at Avondale Liquor store, and just to be in a room with the buzz of Polish language.. Reminds me of grwoing up (and still not understanding anything) LOL :-D

But I digress... I'm not a Chicago member..........
piwo