PDA

View Full Version : automatic magazine loaders

kbstenberg
04-20-2014, 06:45 AM
I have recently purchased my first 45 acp. Can I get some recommendations for devices to fill my magazines. I got a XD but it didn't come with a "speed loader". Kevin

btroj
04-20-2014, 07:01 AM
Try loading it without one first. Is it difficult?

I ask because is load all my 1911 magazines without one. I got my CZ75 with a 16 round magazine and decided getting an Uplula was a prudent choice. It is well worth the money.

monadnock#5
04-20-2014, 07:16 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/952670/maglula-uplula-pistol-magazine-loader-and-unloader-polymer-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

If you take a couple minutes and watch the video, it will make a believer out of you. Well worth the price IMHO.

Rick Hodges
04-20-2014, 11:13 AM
Another vote for the UpLula....I have one, I never needed it for a 1911 but it sure is nice for my 40S&W M&P Shield. It sure saves the thumbs.

bangerjim
04-20-2014, 11:59 AM
I have tried every brand I can find and own 3 different ones. I end up loading all my mags (223/9/40) by hand.

The contraptions these guys come up with are clumsy, expensive, and just another thing to get lost in the field!

Your hands are the best tools invented!

banger

chsparkman
04-20-2014, 12:05 PM
I just ordered a couple of Uplulas from Midway. Good price right now.

Jupiter7
04-20-2014, 01:09 PM
I have one, he just turned 12 in March :)

47redwillys
04-21-2014, 10:33 PM
I have tried every brand I can find and own 3 different ones. I end up loading all my mags (223/9/40) by hand.

The contraptions these guys come up with are clumsy, expensive, and just another thing to get lost in the field!

Your hands are the best tools invented!

banger
Unless you are loading Ruger 22's maybe.

freebullet
04-21-2014, 10:47 PM
You likely won't be disappointed with any of the Lula loaders, they work great imo. My wife would shed a tear if she didn't have one.

bangerjim
04-22-2014, 12:37 AM
Unless you are loading Ruger 22's maybe.

Easy. Just slip a plastic/nylon/fiber washer of correct hole size over that wicked little knob and load away!!!!!! Very simple and easy on the fingers......no fancy-dancy loader needed.

bangerjim

dragon813gt
04-24-2014, 07:55 AM
UpLula is a no brainer. Just like a Lula for loading 223 mags is a no brainer. Can I do it w/ out them, sure. But why not speed the process up and save my hands at the same time. You don't really need one for 1911 mags since they're single stacks w/ pretty light springs.

monadnock#5
04-24-2014, 01:30 PM
When loading CF mags, I like to hold the cartridge to be inserted at a 45° angle to the cartridges already in the mag, depress the spring, then rotate the cartridge into alignment and insert. This mostly avoids the damaged cuticles and harsh language when done the way I was taught. So yes, I know it can be done quickly and effectively. When I'm at the range with my wife and the nice couple we shoot with however, the Uplula really helps keep the good times rolling and a smile on everyones face.

The trick to Ruger Mk1 mags: if right handed, hold mag in left hand with left thumb on loading knob. With right hand hold the cartridge over the feed lips. Depress loading knob with thumb, insert cartridge, RELEASE knob. Repeat as necessary. If you're holding down the knob all the time you're loading, your thumb will be very angry with you.

jameslovesjammie
04-24-2014, 08:58 PM
The Uplula pistol and AR loaders are products that are worth every penny.

The HKS loader is about the biggest piece of junk I've ever used.

winelover
04-25-2014, 06:53 AM
Or you could use a large aluminum Pop Rivet and slide it in between the slots of the magazine, over the follower. Pull, follower down, by putting your thumb on the base and grasping each side with your first two fingers. Cheap, effective, available and if you miss place it, grab another. I always grind the nail-like point off.

Winelover

Easy. Just slip a plastic/nylon/fiber washer of correct hole size over that wicked little knob and load away!!!!!! Very simple and easy on the fingers......no fancy-dancy loader needed.

bangerjim

winelover
04-25-2014, 06:54 AM
The Uplula pistol and AR loaders are products that are worth every penny.

The HKS loader is about the biggest piece of junk I've ever used.

I totally agree.

Winelover

Garyshome
04-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Just about anything works better then your fingers!

47redwillys
04-25-2014, 10:15 AM
You can get ready made spring depressors for about 10 bucks or make your own out of a 1.5" long 1/16" piece of aluminum with a hole drilled in it. Or like he said use your fingers with about 10 minute breaks between magazines to let the dimple in your thumb come out. Those big yellow loaders that hold about 50 rounds for the Ruger magazines are pretty cool though. Makes me grin and the 11yo daughter likes to use it.

Artful
04-26-2014, 09:28 PM
All depends upon what your Loading & Shooting - Grease Gun mag's or Sten gun Mag's I want a loader. LuLa for Ak or AR or FAL or G3 - yep. I also like the Ruger Pistol Ultimate loader - don't have to carry so many mag's to the range now.

Another I like is older metal Easyloader Rifle Magazine Loader have one in 223, 308, 30 carbine
- bad reviews on the plastic version of it by Cammenga though so watch yourself
works like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZgoY8D3OQI
Have to love the guy made his own - very simple construction

monadnock#5
04-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Figuring $40.00 an hour for labor plus materials, the guy in the video saved himself a load of money on his first attempt! Very impressive.