PDA

View Full Version : Digital Scale

Lefty Red
04-20-2014, 01:38 AM
I am in need of a good, accurate digital scale to weight cases and bullets on. Will not be used to weight charges.
Any suggestions?

I had a nice jeweler's scale that finialy quit on me. Best $35 I ever spent.

Lefty

jmort
04-20-2014, 01:43 AM
I like the BPI model

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/BPI-BallistiScale-1500-Digital-Scale/productinfo/6880300/

AbitNutz
04-20-2014, 01:59 AM
Well...$20.00 it ain't but the general consensus is that this is the best price to performance...There is some really great info on Brian Enos's sight...mine works great. Add a Dandy powder trickler and you have a minor miracle of a cool setup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C3I3AA/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jmort
04-20-2014, 02:03 AM
When I have the $$$ I am getting the one from Brian Enos. The GEM 250 would be my second choice.

Lefty Red
04-20-2014, 02:09 AM
I have a 10-10 scale for checking powder. Just funny that way I guess.

The digital scale is just for weight cases and mostly for sorting bullets.

Old Scribe
04-20-2014, 03:16 AM
I have one I bought from Cabelas years ago (1998). It has worked for me all these years. I have a BPI for back up and occasionally check it against the Cabelas. Off a. 001 in a cold room otherwise right on.

silverado
04-21-2014, 09:36 PM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BDOHNA/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_rDCvtb0B114D8 has worked well for me, I bought a sonic cleaner from them that only lasted a couple cleanings and they replaced it. No reason to think they wouldn't do the same for a scale if it did break. Even dropped it today on concrete floor and it calibrated sat.

Airman Basic
04-22-2014, 05:52 AM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BDOHNA/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_rDCvtb0B114D8 has worked well for me, I bought a sonic cleaner from them that only lasted a couple cleanings and they replaced it. No reason to think they wouldn't do the same for a scale if it did break. Even dropped it today on concrete floor and it calibrated sat.
+1 on the FA scale. Works well for me.

hermans
04-22-2014, 01:35 PM
It has been said many times here....you get what you pay for. Be aware of the cheaper models that work off batteries only. They tend to auto switch off just when you do not want then to. Get a scale with and additional external mains power supply.

Airman Basic
04-22-2014, 03:40 PM
It has been said many times here....you get what you pay for. Be aware of the cheaper models that work off batteries only. They tend to auto switch off just when you do not want then to. Get a scale with and additional external mains power supply.
I don't weigh every charge. Just enough to get the measure set. Then occasionally after that. The cheap FA works fine for that purpose. Don't trust it completely, but checking Little Dandy drops, it's very repeatable.

Hawkeye45
04-22-2014, 07:33 PM
I have been using the Dillon for about 20 years now. Whatever brand you get, get a set of check weights.

Mr. Ed

montana_charlie
04-22-2014, 08:09 PM
I have a 10-10 scale for checking powder. Just funny that way I guess.

The digital scale is just for weight cases and mostly for sorting bullets.
I think you have it figured right.
Use a beam scale for powder ... for two reasons.
1.) It is a measurement that requires accuracy to prevent injury or death.
2.) Digital scales don't (usually) respond well to 'trickling up' a charge.

For weighing bullets and cases ... or anything that has you set the load on the scale, note the readout after it stabilizes, and take it off of the scale ... that is a good job for digital scales.

If it happens that the weight shown is not absolutely accurate it's not a killer because you are usually 'comparing' items rather looking for an exact reading.

I have a jeweler's scale for weighing bullets. It's battery operated, and I keep a spare battery in my desk.
It probably cost about twenty-five bucks on eBay.

CM

Lefty Red
04-22-2014, 11:14 PM
I went to a "head shop" and got a scale that weighs in .001 grains. And got it for $18.67 OTD! Something to do with a "4-20" day sale.
But scale is groovy anyways! :)

Lefty