PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 feeding issue

Bradd_D
04-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Sometimes while shooting my newish Rossi 92 in 45 Colt the extractor will fail to snap over the rim of a freshly loaded cartridge. If I squeeze the finger lever harder, it will go. Any suggestions?

butch2570
04-19-2014, 11:48 PM
Took my 92 in a 44 apart and stoned and polished all the rough sharp edges internally and installed a spring kit from brownells , made a totally different rifle out of mine..

runfiverun
04-20-2014, 05:12 AM
the rim of the case should be coming up under the extractor from the lifter when you push the case into the chamber.
I'd look at the extractor a little closer and see if it is rough or a little bent.
I had a model 94 that had a slight bend in the extractor I took it out and cleaned everything then stoned the edges and underside of the hook.
I also bent the extractor straight just a hair to help it locate the rim easier and pull the case from the chamber better.
also look to see if the extractor is making contact in the little notch it rests in the back of the barrel.
the other thing that might be happening is the round is not chambering properly/fully and you are actually forcing the round home [like a forward assist on an ar rifle]
this could be from the boolit hitting the rifling.
a case with a little bulge from crimping.
or the case with a little pregnant bulge in the body.
next time it happens extract the round and examine it for scratches [marks on the boolit] or anomalies in case shape, and also measure the rim thickness of that case and a normal one.

Bradd_D
04-20-2014, 04:00 PM
I don't even know that it's the extractor. Basically, the round is fully chambered, but the bolt won't close unless I apply more pressure to the finger lever.

TCLouis
04-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Sounds to me more like boolit/case are an interference fit, or the boolit is seating into the rifling.

Sometimes problem/solution is hard to diagnose/solve over the net.

Bradd_D
04-22-2014, 05:42 AM
The ammo is Winchester 250 gr Cowboy Action LFN and the OAL is 1.57". Could the chamber be too short?