PDA

View Full Version : Just curiosity... a completely frivolous question.

beezapilot
04-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Being cheap to the point of becoming a local legend, people at the trap club will oftimes give me old ammo to "dispose" of. Really unservicable shot-shells get broken down for shot / casting stock and the vintage brass caps will end up as knobs on projects.

example____ http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?229621-Wad-amp-shell-bins

Or as refigerator magnets.

So the question, a cut down shot shell with no powder, I like to fire the promers before they process any further. On about one of ten shell, the brass dishes and the primer pops out. for the life of me I can not figure out why. Any suggestions????

danski26
04-19-2014, 02:57 PM
The pressure of the gunpowder going off is not there and nothing is holding the base of the shotshell against the breach face. A small amount of space is created and the primer is able to back out of the shotshell. Not a big deal.

beezapilot
04-19-2014, 03:37 PM
That makes sense- thanks.

Old School Big Bore
04-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Plus the old paper base wad will pop out if any primer pressure finds its way under there. I've pushed the 209s out with a fat enough punch to fit the housing without getting near the actual primer, with the head supported over a big enough cutout for the housing to fall into, without any problems. Goes a lot faster than working the heads in & out of a shotgun.
Ed <><

Wolfer
04-19-2014, 07:51 PM
I've often been called ( cheap ) but I prefer to think of my self as thrifty.

slim1836
04-19-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm not cheap, I'm poor.:-)

Slim

sdalcher
05-31-2014, 09:52 PM
Sadly I'm cheap and I get a huge thrill out of finding some discarded thing that I can repurpose later. The wife and children don't like to ride with me because I'll have them jump out of the car and grad something out of the trash that has been put out;)

Garyshome
05-31-2014, 10:45 PM
You guys are wayyyyy cheaper then me!

jonas302
05-31-2014, 11:10 PM
Boy I don't know if we can call a guy that wastes primers like that cheep hehe

oldred
06-01-2014, 10:17 AM
The problem is them there promers, you need to remove them first then the primers and brass dishes will stay in place! Besides Promers are EXTREMELY hard to come by and being as you are a self admitted cheapskate I would think you would not want to waste a perfectly good promer! :mrgreen:

DCM
06-01-2014, 12:23 PM
beezapilot,

Everyone else is cheap, I'm parsimonious. It sounds so much better.

PB

I like that, likely to get some odd looks when using the term.

Hardcast416taylor
06-02-2014, 10:10 AM
I`d like to find out what stores sell those "promers"? I usually use "primers" in my shotshells.Robert

abunaitoo
06-05-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm cheap and poor.
Go through the trash cans at the range looking for shells and other goodies. Cans and bottles tooo.
Guys at the range save stuff for me that they think I might be able to use. Good friends are hard to find.
Even walk the parking lot and firing line after closing looking for stuff.
Anything good I turn in to the office. Most of the time, after a few weeks, I get to keep it.
Cheap and poor has made me learn to do without, make it myself, or how to do it cheap. Learned a bunch.
Cheap and poor is OK, but I'd rather have money.

JSnover
06-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm cheap and poor.
Go through the trash cans at the range looking for shells and other goodies.

That's a great place to find new boxes complete with the plastic tray inserts for my reloads. Slap a fresh label on so I don't confuse anyone... Good to go!

abunaitoo
06-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Being cheap forces me to do things without spending money.
I like helping others to do the same.
I make good use of those plastic slide top boxes.
The long ones are used to hold lubed boolets, drill bits, allen wrenches, pens and pencils, and other stuff that will fit.
The big short ones are used for my Lee sizers dies, and other single dies.
The short small ones are going to be for the lube sizer dies.
I use the red plastic pistol bullet holders to hold open loose jalousies.
A while back I gave a bunch of the red pistol holders and clear slide top long boxes to a friend teaches special education kids.
They had a problem with the wood jalousies slamming shut when the wind blew hard.
Some of the kids would go nuts from the bang.
Solved the problem, and taught the kids about adapting something for something it was hot made for.
Kids always had problems keeping track of their pencils, erasers and crayons. Sometimes they would take others stuff if it was not put away.
Solved the problem. Kids learned to put things back in their box. They learned not to open something that was not theirs.
Everyone was happy and the kids learned some life lessons.
At a parent/teacher conference, a parent noticed that these thing once held bullets. Parent made a complaint to the principal. They were removed from the classroom.
Stupid is, as stupid does.