PDA

View Full Version : RCBS X-die owners get in here

steelworker
04-19-2014, 11:57 AM
What are your experiences with the X-die? Good, bad, or waste of money? Any advice would be appreciated.

I just picked up a Savage 40 in 22 Hornet and need some dies.

Thanks
:coffeecom

btroj
04-19-2014, 12:09 PM
I don't own any but know some who swear by them.

VHoward
04-19-2014, 01:31 PM
I have one for .223 remington. Works fine.

W.R.Buchanan
04-19-2014, 09:40 PM
I use one for my .308's and soon will get one for .30-06 as well. Mine works as advertised and I haven't trimmed cases since I started using it,,, which is the whole idea.

Randy

steelworker
04-20-2014, 06:07 AM
Thanks everyone for the information. Looks like I'll be getting an x die next week and give it a try.

winelover
04-20-2014, 06:28 AM
Using in 243W, 308W and 338W-------you could say I say I hate trimming brass.

Winelover

Blammer
04-20-2014, 11:00 AM
I'd get the X die. I have it for my 25 WSSM, works well.

You can use it as the X die or as a regular die, the directions will help you with setting it up.

Larry Gibson
04-20-2014, 12:37 PM
I have and use the X-die for FL sizing 8 different cartridges. I wouldn't want to use any other FL sizer for bottle necked cases unless the X-die isn't made for them.

Larry Gibson

David2011
04-20-2014, 01:15 PM
I got a set in 6.5x55. They work as advertised in controlling growth. I need to do more testing but am no 100% convinced that the accuracy is as good as standard dies which are also RCBS. The 6.5x55 cartridge is a special case because the throat is typically very deep due to the very long standard military bullets and needs all the help it can get to shoot well but is capable of superb accuracy. To put everything in perspective, I'm talking about the difference in sub .4" groups vs. 3/4" groups. My best groups are with fired cases, neck sized with a standard RCBS die; no shoulder setback, using Remington PSP bullets. The bigger groups are with the X Dies and Nosler Ballistic Tips. Same powder charge.

The deer and pigs never knew the difference. Every round I've fired at live game connected as planned.

David

landers
04-21-2014, 08:15 AM
I use one for 30-06 and 243 wssm and have not had to trim a case since. I don't really enjoy trimming cases so its a great product for me.

historicfirearms
04-21-2014, 09:19 AM
I found that keeping track of my brass was a little confusing when using the xdie in 223. I'd go to the range and always bring back a few once fired casings that got mixed in with mine. I'd have to sort them out to get them in the x die rotation for trimming. Other than that one little gripe, I really like the x dies.

Larry Gibson
04-21-2014, 11:00 AM
historicfirearms

I've been using the .223 X-die for some years now. I don't trim the cases at all, even the 1st trim as per the instructions. I've the die set using a Dillon case gauge. I've the head space set to the max in the guage and the Mandrel oal so case length is also at the max length. I can then just size range PUs, new commercial and new milsurp (all once fired) w/o having to trim. The cases will stretch a bit to the max oal but that is it. Have not lost a case to incipient case head separation for many years even after a lot of multiple firings out of ARs. Only thing I separate the newer cases for is swaging the crimp out of the primer pockets and the initial chamfer of the case mouth.

Larry Gibson

EDG
04-21-2014, 07:16 PM
I am curious about these dies. If a case is at the full length permitted by the die when fired the case expands and gets a little shorter. But the stretched metal really cannot be compressed back to its original state.
So where does the stretched metal go when resized? To believe that it works as RCBS describes would be like believing in magic. I am just wondering what really happens. Does the shoulder get pushed back a little?

GOPHER SLAYER
04-21-2014, 07:53 PM
I must confess, I don't know what an x-die is.

starmac
04-21-2014, 09:36 PM
I must confess, I don't know what an x-die is.

I am in the same boat, but I am gettin edjumacated, and it sounds like I want some. lol

pretzelxx
04-21-2014, 10:09 PM
RCBS x-die is basically a brass savior. Instead of overworking the cases, it limits the stretch when sizing. That is the most basic description of what it does. If you want the details, pick one up. Trust me, you will not regret it.

historicfirearms
04-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Also, after the first trim, no more trimming is required. Sounds like Larry doesn't trim even the first time, I will have to give that one a try.

bbqncigars
04-22-2014, 11:25 PM
I've used one for years to feed my 7.62x51 gas guns (match Garand and two FALs). Haven't had a brass failure since using one. Most of that brass is mixed milsurp that was trimmed during the initial processing. I am embarrassed to admit that Larry has out-lazied me by thinking smarter. Most of that brass did need the mouths touched up anyway.

Del-Ray
04-22-2014, 11:46 PM
So the whole thing in the instructions on trimming once and then setting the die to that "lot" of brass isn't really needed? Just set it to the max case length, make sure the case isn't over that length and just use it?

I've been using an X-die with the same lot of 500 cases I originally trimmed too many years ago. I catch the cases with a brass bag.

This is.... Liberating!

Corollary: I HATE and despise auto correct.

Patrick L
04-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Not much to add. I have them for .223 and .30-06, absolutely love them!

David2011
04-25-2014, 01:41 AM
historicfirearms

I've been using the .223 X-die for some years now. I don't trim the cases at all, even the 1st trim as per the instructions. I've the die set using a Dillon case gauge. I've the head space set to the max in the guage and the Mandrel oal so case length is also at the max length. I can then just size range PUs, new commercial and new milsurp (all once fired) w/o having to trim. The cases will stretch a bit to the max oal but that is it. Have not lost a case to incipient case head separation for many years even after a lot of multiple firings out of ARs. Only thing I separate the newer cases for is swaging the crimp out of the primer pockets and the initial chamfer of the case mouth.

Larry Gibson

I thought I would be in Hog Heaven with the Dillon Rapid Case trimmer I got recently. When I started measuring 5.56 NATO brass I found a huge portion of 3000 pieces (random sampling) to be well short of 'trim to' after the first sizing. It might take 2 or 3 firings to get it long enough to trim.

David

CraigOK
04-25-2014, 02:45 AM
are they also a small base die? if not do they make one that is both?

Hickory
04-25-2014, 07:01 AM
I bought the x-die in .223 Rem when they first came out.
Saves me a lot of time trimming brass.
Be sure to read the instructions with care and understand how to set up the dies.
It doesn't take very long to learn to love them.

steelworker
04-25-2014, 07:27 AM
I ordered an x-die from wiedners on Monday morning and it showed up Thursday morning. Looks like it will do a nice job. Now I just need some time to mess around with it.