PDA

View Full Version : Big Horn Armory Model 89

Clay M
04-19-2014, 10:44 AM
I really like the looks of this one. Just wondered if anyone has this rifle?
Great idea to make an 86 style stainless in 500 S&W.

http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/1/big-horn-armory-products/

Bullshop
04-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Big Horn = big trouble
One mans opinion based on their prior history under other names.

Clay M
04-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Big Horn = big trouble
One mans opinion based on their prior history under other names.

That is too bad. It is a neat idea anyway.

Uncle R.
04-19-2014, 11:05 AM
That is too bad. It is a neat idea anyway.

Yep. Nice lookin' ain't they?
It is too bad. I'll be curious to learn more of the prior history that Bullshop wrote of.
I ain't really in the market anyway - at this point in my life with three boys nearing college I'm looking with distress at the - er - size of my portfolio (such as it is) and not planning any high-class firearm buys. Even so, it would be nice to know that someone was making beautiful high-quality lever guns in the USA again.
<
Uncle R.

Bullshop
04-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Other names have been,
Red Willow Armory
Ballard rifle company
Neither of which ended happily for investors. Under these names they took the money from down payments for custom builds and ran.

starmac
04-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Does anyone know of anyone that actually has one of these. Any reports on them??

Clay M
04-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Other names have been,
Red Willow Armory
Ballard rifle company
Neither of which ended happily for investors. Under these names they took the money from down payments for custom builds and ran.

When you say Ballard Rifle Co, are you referring to the company that use to be in Cody,WY ?

Bullshop
04-20-2014, 09:53 AM
I am.

Clay M
04-20-2014, 12:58 PM
I bought a highwall from the Ballard company. I thought they were doing fine for a while. I didn't know exactly what happened to them.I thought they sold the company to someone back east.

Reg
04-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Actually , I think there were two company's that operated under the Nom de plume of Ballard Rifle Company. Both had their problems.

Bullshop
04-20-2014, 09:22 PM
I believe both were the same. The second was a reorganized attempt of the first. I have watched from their beginning in Stevensville Montana when they started producing the Ballard rifles under the Red Willow Armory label. Each time with each move and each name change it has been the same, bad and dishonest dealings. I see no reason to expect any change. This rifle has been advertised for at least half a dozen years or more now but has anyone actually seen one other than the one they cart to trade shows?
I wonder why! I also wonder how many down payments they have received for the rifle and how long those customers have been waiting for something that may never happen.
Good intensions with other peoples money makes it easy to walk from investment ideas that don't pan out.

Reg
04-21-2014, 12:02 AM
I believe both were the same. The second was a reorganized attempt of the first.

I think you are right.
R

Clay M
04-21-2014, 09:49 AM
There were some good people working at the Ballard Shop in Cody. It is ashamed it was handled wrong. I won't be sending any deposits.

Bullshop
04-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Steve Garby left for good reason.

missionary5155
04-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Good morning
That is discouraging news. I like my old Marlin Ballard (38-50) and have been looking to the future of a modern made receiver that could be used for a sturdy hunting rifle.
Oh well.. Have one of JES 's 375 Whelen's to run about the swamps with this time up so it is not like I am in a bind.
Mike in Peru

400short
04-21-2014, 09:39 PM
I live very near Bighorn Armory and know the principal. He never had any involvement with
Ballard. An employee there was once employed by Ballard but was not management. You are spreading wrong information. I have seen the rifles and they are very nice. They did have some start up troubles, like many companies, but appear to be past that at this point. These rifles are not run of the mill production. There is a great deal of hands on getting one of these built, and a low volume type of product. Don't expect overnight delivery. Talk to them and make up your own mind.
I do not own one and am not involved with the company in any way.

Regards,
Bill

Bullshop
04-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Maybe, maybe not, but I wont be sending them my money.

Rifle 57
04-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Steve Garbe lets Big Horn Armory advertise in his magazine and I don't think that would be going on if they were a shady company.

Clay M
04-21-2014, 11:44 PM
It is the first lever gun I have seen in a good while that I would like to own. I will call Steve up and find out what he has to say about it.

Chill Wills
04-21-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm calling BS on this Bullshop! You have some of the facts but you mixed up a bunch others!

starmac
04-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Does anyone know anybody that owns one, I would think at least one member would have bought one.

Rifle 57
04-22-2014, 12:18 AM
Does anyone know anybody that owns one, I would think at least one member would have bought one.

There are some video's on you tube of some guy's shooting them.

krems
05-04-2014, 08:43 AM
I ordered one of the Big Horn Armory model 89 carbines:..... It's been almost three days and I haven't received it yet... What's up with that. I'm already getting impatient! Real nice people to talk to on the phone and by e-mail. I have confidence that they will deliver with in 6 months.

Krems

missionary5155
05-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Good morning
What advantage would be the 500 S&W over the 50 Alaskan ? The 500 is a shorter case... Seems like the 50 Alaskan could handle slower powders to get to the same velocity.
Plus there are far more Model 86's & 71's out there (repros included) that could be made into a 50 Alaskan.
I did a similar stunt building a Marlin 336 into a 414 Supermag. I now also have a 405 JES (.41/444). The 405 JES will do eveything the 414SM can plus more with less pressure.
If it is to have one cartridge for revolver and rifle I understand that.. That's why I went the 414 SM route.
Mike in Peru

Bullshop
05-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Mike I think the issue from a manufacturers point of view is that any new production firearms with bore dimensions that exceed .500" falls into the classification of destructive device and so is regulated by different rules than sporting arms.
So in this case the advantage is that a 500 S&W is legal to newly manufacture but a 50 AK is not.
The advantage of a legal firearm over an illegal firearm is obvious.

Krems
Will like to hear from you in 6 months. Did you pay up front?

olafhardt
05-08-2014, 07:19 PM
I have a 500 S&W Handi rifle, it is a hoot. Cheap, simple, tough and blows up rocks with alacrity. Shoots 1/2 one shot groups all day and is very cheap to reload with fast powder and boolits.

C. Latch
05-08-2014, 07:22 PM
They're gorgeous rifles. Not in my budget, by a longshot, but gorgeous nonetheless. I hope they get the supposed bugs worked out and sell a million of them.

NVScouter
05-11-2014, 08:56 AM
BigHorn is run out of a house on 2AB. Doubt he has lots of investors or employees. A coworker tried to order a plane Jane .500 and was given a rediculous lead time.

krems
05-24-2014, 02:11 AM
I just received my BHA model 89 carbine today. Absolutely beautiful rifle. I ordered it with the hunter black finish and upgraded walnut wood stock. The stock is really dark with plenty of figure in it - just like I requested. The fit of the wood to the rifle is nearly perfect. If i have any small /petty complaints it is that the wood is too proud near the lower tang in spots. Easily corrected if one wanted to get courageous with the sand paper. I really love the bolt mounted peep sight. The lockup is tight as can be so there is no play at all in the rear peep sight - fully adjustable for windage and elevation. Cycling the rifle is a little stiff, it needs to be broken in and smoothed up a bit. The rifle balances perfect for carrying with one hand on the receiver. I haven't measured the chamber or barrel dimensions yet. My initial reaction is this is one well made and beautiful rifle. But no rifle is worth a hoot unless it shoots. The delivery time was so fast that it caught me off guard and I need to get the reloading components so I can shoot it. I have dies, brass, and powder but I need to get a few
bullets casted up. I mill and lathe bore my own bullet moulds so I plan on starting out
with a 400 grain gas checked version.

If you have any doubts about BHA give them a call and talk to them. I went through a series of e-mails w/ Greg prior to purchasing the rifle as I had reservations as well. after the decision was made the whole process was handled very professional.

Now if it only shoots!.........

Krems

starmac
05-24-2014, 02:41 AM
I'm glad to hear a report from someone that actually got one, I was beginning to think they were a myth.

snowwolfe
05-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Mike I think the issue from a manufacturers point of view is that any new production firearms with bore dimensions that exceed .500" falls into the classification of destructive device and so is regulated by different rules than sporting arms.
So in this case the advantage is that a 500 S&W is legal to newly manufacture but a 50 AK is not.
The advantage of a legal firearm over an illegal firearm is obvious.

Krems
Will like to hear from you in 6 months. Did you pay up front?

Then why can companies make and sell double rifles in calibers such as .577, 600 and 700 Nitro? Also, the 500 Linebaugh is .510.

Tatume
05-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Then why can companies make and sell double rifles in calibers such as .577, 600 and 700 Nitro? Also, the 500 Linebaugh is .510.

http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-95-3.pdf

(f) Destructive device.--The term “destructive device” means * * * (2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary or his delegate finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; . . .”

I believe a letter from the BATFE is required to make large-caliber rifles and handguns.

Take care, Tom

snowwolfe
05-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Makes me think then the "letter" is rather easy to obtain otherwise there would not be any firearms above .500.

Tatume
05-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Could be. A lot probably depends on the type of gun. However, I strongly suspect that the decision to make the 500 S&W bullet 0.500" instead of 0.510" was motivated by political concerns.

snaketail
05-24-2014, 03:17 PM
in 2000 I had the opportunity to purchase Ballard Rifles. I visited the Cody facility with a machinist friend. After inspecting the CNC equipment the machinist recommended that I pass on the deal - seems the machine were old, out of tolerance and would cost more than I was willing to invest to bring it up to standard. This could be the root of their problems.

starmac
05-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Where is the pictures? We neeeeeeed pictures. lol

NVScouter
05-25-2014, 08:54 PM
You got your rifle in 20 days for a custom built rifle? My friend was friend was give a year plus lead

krems
05-25-2014, 11:50 PM
NV,
Actually I placed the order sometime around the last week of April. I made a change to the order the first week of May. I was quoted a delivery date of October 2014 but was also mentioned that the delivery could be sooner as they are getting caught up on deliveries. When I received the phone call about the rifle being ready to ship I seriously thought it was a mistake and I called BHA and asked them so. I got the impression that the rifle configuration I ordered - they just happened to have the components available. I guess it is possible that someone ordered the same rifle and decided they didn't want it. Anyway.... I got the BHA model 89 carbine in hand and I am happy so far. I will try and post a few pictures this week. Now if I only had time to cut a bullet mould for it so I can shoot the darn thing and get the skunk off it.

Krems

starmac
05-25-2014, 11:56 PM
Eagerly awaiting thepics, some might even call it drooling.

krems
05-26-2014, 12:05 AM
Snaketail,
I purchased a 50-90 Ballard Pacific rifle from the boys at Ballard before they closed the doors. It was the most accurate BP rifle I have ever shot and I have owned a bunch of originals and reproduction Shiloh Sharps. The rifle managed to kill a buffalo on a harvest hunt. After giving myself a bloody nose shooting the rifle at the range one day I decided to sell the rifle. The rifle was too light and kicked like a mule. I have since regretted selling that Ballard as it was great for hunting but was punishing off the bench. Anyway..... I think the CNC equipment they were using at the time was putting out some fine rifles or they had top notch master machinists working for them.

Krems.

DaveCampbell
05-26-2014, 09:35 AM
FWIW: http://www.americanrifleman.org/article.php?id=24011&cat=0&sub=8

Big Horn Armory is about 20 minutes from me. I know the problems it has had regarding a shipment schedule, but I have not been aware of any "take the money and run" with the current ownership.

The rifle is well made and pretty much delivers what is advertised. I found the trigger pull a bit heavy for a $2,300 rifle and told them so. They indicated that they are working on that issue. The question one needs to answer is: Do I want (or need) a $2,300 levergun that's a 200-yard gun? And, Am I willing to wait for it? Only the individual can answer this.

HTH,

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------

Banning guns because you believe the neighborhood is too violent is like castrating yourself because you believe your neighbor has too many kids.

krems
05-28-2014, 07:51 AM
Dave,
Thanks for the link and review!

Krems

Rifle 57
05-29-2014, 10:02 PM
That is a great write up Dave on the model 89 and the company!!
Thanks for the link. Loren

ajjohns
05-30-2014, 07:56 AM
I know this is the wrong section for this question but, while the topic is brought up about new companies bringing back "vintage" firearms, has anyone heard if the people who were going to bring the Merwin & Hulbert revolver back actually get it going? I saw an on line brochure and they looked very very nice. This was a few years ago though and really haven't heard a thing about them since. Congradulations by the way on your new cannon!

krems
06-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Got a bullet mold made and casted up a bunch of bullets this week. I cut a 435 grain rnfp GC bullet for the BHA rifle. The rifle is still a virgin and I plan on changing that on Thursday. I'll get a range report together and take some pictures as well. I can't wait to see how this rifle performs.

Krems

Chill Wills
06-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Cody Ballard. Flawless ( :hijack::hijack: ) Sorry!:smile:

Gunlaker
06-11-2014, 12:07 AM
Very nice, what's it chambered in?

Chris.

longranger
06-11-2014, 12:01 PM
has anyone heard if the people who were going to bring the Merwin & Hulbert revolver back actually get it going?
They took peoples money and ran,defunct.
[url]http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=208106, explains what happened,some folks got their $ back.

Chill Wills
06-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Very nice, what's it chambered in?

Chris.

Chris, It is a 22RF with a 30" barrel. It gets used for 50 scoped gallery matches, 100M silhouette (like lever silhouette but SS class), 100y schuetzen back when we had matches and most recent, the 22 BPCR game. It is a hard working rifle and earns its keeps.
All, sorry for the detour from the conversation about the model 89 Lever rifle. The closest I have been to one is the adv in Black Powder News. Looks great. I have an orphan 1886 Winchester with button mag and 22' barrel and receiver sight. It is in no way the equal of the Model 89 but it is as close as I have. Everyone that spends time in big country should have a big lever rifle.