PDA

View Full Version : Good Friday indeed with the 38-55

45coltnut
04-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Hello friends of Cast Boolits,

I hope everyone is having a good "long" weekend. The saga is now over with my 38-55, which is also my first ever dedicated cast boolit gun. Well, to catch up those that may not have heard my whining :)

I bought a Winchester 94 Legendary Frontiersman. The gun is like new but no box (only papers and manual). It already has a marbles improved tang site and also came with a nice peep style marbles rear sight. But, I put a blank in the rear sight slot. So, then onto what to load. I decided due the in-expensive costs to buy the Lee 379-250 mold. I'm sizing to the biggest I can at .379 even though they drop at .380 and my bore is .3795-.380. I'm also using Ben's Red Lube.

So, with mold, sizing and lube figured out I cast up some WW boolits. To her to the range to work unload development. I was pleasantly surprised that scope shooter performed as well as I did with the peep sight. My first groups were around 2" with certain loads. Other loads really opened up. But, then it all went ugly fast. During the cycling of the lever I noticed that my forearm had slid forward about 2-3". Whoa! What the $*#$%. So, I quickly discovered the front tenon had split into and had fallen out of the dovetail on the underneath side of the barrel. No big deal, I'll just get another one right? Not so easy after all. Again, remember this is my first bout in the older guns. So, I quickly discovered that the one gun manufacturer (Browning) that I absolutely love for all of my bolt action guns (and will not buy another brand) will not offer any service or suggestions on where to purchase a replacement piece. This could have just been due to the person I was talking with I know. But still!

After about 3-4 days of searching online I finally found a replacement part. When it arrived I quickly discovered that it needed major modifications. I had to cut it down to about 1/2" and then after installing and removing oh about 5 times I also had to ream out the hole and it wasn't centered correctly and would put allot of pressure on the bottom side of the barrel. You could almost see it bow slightly after putting the forearm cap on. But, I got it done finally.

So, yesterday morning I awoke and decided to load up some more as I wanted to try the IMR 3031 powder. I still had others left from my last session when the tenon broke. Well, I must say that I'm completely satisfied with this gun and caliber. The IMR 3031 shoots great. I got a 100 yd (from sand bags) group of 1.5" but I did have one flyer which was me. And, the gun is holding together great after my back yard machine shopping on it :)

Curtesy of a fantastic member here, I also have some 264 gas checked boolits to try out. They actually drop at 275 grains, but I'm hoping the bore fit may be better with the gas check. Although, leading doesn't appear to be an issue right now with the 250 grainers.

Here's a couple pics of the gun and target. Oh, and the fever has now hit full force! I'm now looking for an 1885 hi wall for my next cast only gun ;)

Scharfschuetze
04-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Great news about the Legendary Frontiersman! Having read your previous posts, I wondered how it was doing.

45coltnut
04-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Thanks. I'm pretty excited about how well it's shooting. I'm going to take it exclusively for deer this year. And, if drawn for the KY elk season I may contemplate using it as well. I'll have to do some research though on the appropriate load. But a good lung shot will do it. I've taken many deer with a bow and if they can't breath....they can't live !

Scharfschuetze
04-19-2014, 09:57 PM
I've always thought that the Legendary Frontiersman and the Legendary Peace Officer rifles were the best looking of all the Winchester commemorative rifles and carbines. The fact that yours is in 38/55 makes it doubly appealing.

Good luck drawing that elk tag!

williamwaco
04-19-2014, 10:11 PM
I really love the .38-55.

Try 9 grains Unique with whatever bullet you like.

I guarantee you will like it.

TXGunNut
04-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Glad you got the old girl shooting again. Please don't tell anyone these pretty guns can shoot, I still need to get one for myself. ;-)

raingauge
04-20-2014, 02:56 PM
You are so screwed!! Lever guns in the early calibers are fun to shoot, low walls and highwalls bring the addiction to a whole new level. The 38-55 is my all time favorite, in a high wall, but a 25-35 in a lowwall is a very close second!! Repeaters in 38-55 are an ultimate rifle, in my opinion, on whitetail and muleys, have yet to do an elk with one, I'll work on that. I don't know if it's the nostalgia or just how well they shoot, but I like 'em. Have fun

FromTheWoods
04-20-2014, 05:05 PM
Bitten by the bug. Next comes a .32-40, followed closely by a .32WS.

I enjoyed hearing your news about the rifle and your efforts to fix it. There is a problem though--You say, "Again, remember this is my first bout in the older guns."--If that rifle is "older" then some of us around here are ancient! I thought "older" with "Winchester" meant a date of manufacture closer to 1879, not 1979! Dang, I must be near taking a header into the grave!

45coltnut
04-20-2014, 05:15 PM
FromTheWoods,

Good point :) I should have stated "older cartridge".

Yep, the bug has bit me for sure. I find myself browsing the adds on gun broker looking for a nice octagon barrel in some older caliber. It seems the older I get the more "traditional" I find myself going in many different areas. I think I'll survive the bug. But, I'm not sure my wife will make it out with as much all of her sanity left though. I'm already driving her crazy as I throw pictures up on our tv from the laptop in the middle of a movie and say "boy this is a nice rifle" as I'm giving her Christmas hints really early. :)

FromTheWoods
04-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Funny how wives' eyes seem to glaze over when we share our Winchester excitement with them. Good for you giving her hints. I'm not so certain that interrupting her movies are going to get the hint across. You might end up sleeping on the couch soon. Might not be too bad though, at that. At least on the couch you could snuggle up to your .38-55! My wife doesn't allow rifles in bed--Rats! At least when we used to camp in a tent, I could snuggle with her until she fell asleep. Then, it was a Winchester keeping me warm. Aaaah, the good old days--blued steel, the scent of hoppes on the pillow, and the clink of cartridges in my dreams. (You can be sure she doesn't pay attention to what I write on this forum!)

Scharfschuetze
04-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Well, not a 38/55, but fun none the less, a 32 Special and a cast boolit launcher par excellence.

Targets were also shot on Good Friday. Must have been a good day, eh?

Trinidad Bill
04-24-2014, 10:48 AM
45ColtNut...

Just in case you have not seen this article by John. It has some great information and is well done!

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByCaliber/Cast%20in%20the%20.38-55.pdf