PDA

View Full Version : BP and brass corrosion

MaLar
04-19-2014, 01:27 AM
I just found a box of brass I lost track of.
It is corroded with BP fouling has been for years.
Is it ruined or is it safe to reuse?

I have heard BP corrosion makes brass brittle is this true?
If so I don't think I could use it.

LaMar

mold maker
04-19-2014, 09:06 AM
If your talking about raised crusty (like rust) corrosion, it's definitely beyond use. If only dark colored, or with just a hint of green, it may clean up. Use a bath of 1/4 tsp citric acid in hot water for an hour or so, tumbling if possible. Close inspection will then show what damage was done.

oldred
04-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Corrosion scares the &@%! out of me after a little incident back in the 70's with a 45/70, a couple of cases had some very small areas of green corrosion on them that I wiped off with a piece of steel wool but they could still be seen seen. They really didn't look bad at all, at least I was thinking that anyway, and since they were little more small spots I assumed they would be ok, long story short on the second or third shot (Marlin 1895) one of the case heads let go with the crack starting right at one of those blemished spots! I got a face full of hot gas and a no-uncertain lesson on how not to prepare cases! Had I not been wearing glasses I could have gotten some serious eye injuries but as it happens I was lucky, sometimes a blown case can be more than just an annoyance!

MaLar
04-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Thanks I'll recycle it. It's 100 pcs.

LaMar