PDA

View Full Version : Bond Arms Snake Slayer

ZmanWakeForest
04-18-2014, 11:43 PM
So one of these Bond Arms Snake Slayers finally made it home today! I wasn't going to pay retail for one or anywhere close, so one popped up used at the local gun shop yesterday, like new condition with the ankle holster included, box and paperwork and a very reasonable price. To be honest, I have no idea why, but I have wanted one of these since the first time I laid eyes on one years ago, so I picked it up today.

I have read the reviews and watched some of the videos online, but as with everything you can find a review to say just about anything if you find the right one. This is the model that will take the 3" 410s and of course the 45 Colt.

Anybody got any experience with one of these? Factory ammo recommendations for the 410s (I don't reload shotgun ammo)? Pet loads for 45LC that works well in this hand cannon? Also the book says shotshells, but has anyone tried 410 slugs in one of these?

300savage
04-19-2014, 11:00 AM
all i can say is that i have shot one, and i am glad that one is yours.
i would use it as a bludgeon before i would shoot one again.

Jupiter7
04-19-2014, 02:38 PM
I had one, only had it for the .410 capability. Shot some 45 colt Winchester PDX1 225gr personal defense ammo through it, once. Recoil wasn't a big issue, just different manual arms and trigger than I'm used to, couldnt print on paper without major focus. .410 OO buck did fine out to 5 yards or so on IDPA style backer, after that, everyone became a target.

ZmanWakeForest
04-19-2014, 03:00 PM
all i can say is that i have shot one, and i am glad that one is yours.
i would use it as a bludgeon before i would shoot one again.

Why wouldn't you shoot one again?

ZmanWakeForest
04-19-2014, 03:02 PM
I had one, only had it for the .410 capability. Shot some 45 colt Winchester PDX1 225gr personal defense ammo through it, once. Recoil wasn't a big issue, just different manual arms and trigger than I'm used to, couldnt print on paper without major focus. .410 OO buck did fine out to 5 yards or so on IDPA style backer, after that, everyone became a target.

Sounds like it will perform as advertised with the 00 bucks and that is what I would carry it with. Did you try any other shot style loads?

Jupiter7
04-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Sounds like it will perform as advertised with the 00 bucks and that is what I would carry it with. Did you try any other shot style loads?

Tried some #6 too, off the edges of man sized target at 10ft. Mine was the snakeslayer IV. Ive considered another with the improved trigger but in another caliber, maybe .38spl or .40.

monge
04-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Always wanted one myself way cool factor well made, If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it?

ZmanWakeForest
04-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Always wanted one myself way cool factor well made, If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it?

Sent PM

Gunslinger1911
04-19-2014, 06:30 PM
I have an American Arms 45/410. Same basic thing. Like you, I just had to have one. (I want one of anything chambered in 45 Colt) lol
410 slugs and 900+ fps 45's are "unpleasant". It's the dinky grip for me, just can't hang on to it. Mouse fart reloads are a hoot.

ZmanWakeForest
04-20-2014, 02:21 PM
I have an American Arms 45/410. Same basic thing. Like you, I just had to have one. (I want one of anything chambered in 45 Colt) lol
410 slugs and 900+ fps 45's are "unpleasant". It's the dinky grip for me, just can't hang on to it. Mouse fart reloads are a hoot.

This one has a great grip, don't think I will have any trouble hanging on to it especially with the rubber Hogue overgrip.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-21-2014, 11:53 AM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnVT/Guns/Bond%20Arms%20Texas%20Defender%20357%20Mag/IMG0026.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/ShawnVT/media/Guns/Bond%20Arms%20Texas%20Defender%20357%20Mag/IMG_0026.jpg.html)

9-toes
04-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Zman - great choice. You have the new model right there. Extra wide hammer with the new trigger and release latch. I got the new model SnakeSlayer IV with the Jumbo grips. Makes a nice boom with factory 45 Colt ammo. I hope to make some 45 cast and 3" 410 to test with it soon.

Bullshop Junior
05-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Maybe y'all can get my dad to see this thread and tell you about trying to shoot 454s out of his bond arms. I think he tried some 460s as well..

Bullshop
05-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Yup! I used one as a tent gun. It was literally loaded for bear. I loaded a 390gn boolit in 454 cases. Those Bond Arms guns are stout! The idea was that if a bear got on me while in my tent the short gun might still be able to swing and press in bear and make a hole clean through.
For defense against predators of the human kind I put up tri ball loads in 460 S&W cases.

Texantothecore
05-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Yup! I used one as a tent gun. It was literally loaded for bear. I loaded a 390gn boolit in 454 cases. Those Bond Arms guns are stout! The idea was that if a bear got on me while in my tent the short gun might still be able to swing and press in bear and make a hole clean through.
For defense against predators of the human kind I put up tri ball loads in 460 S&W cases.

Yikes! That load will ruin your day.

Bullshop Junior
05-18-2014, 10:15 PM
He had a bruised his thumb for a month shooting it once.

Bullshop
05-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Yea the bear load wasn't fun but had a purpose. The human predator load was easier to shoot. Two quick shots and six 45 cal holes drops oil pressure quick.

Texantothecore
05-20-2014, 10:36 AM
One of my friends has 4 Bond derringers. He loves them.

warboar_21
05-20-2014, 05:41 PM
I think the one I shot was an American derringer in 45Colt/410. It was years ago that I shot it. I only shot it once and it was no fun at all. One Winchester silver tip 45 Colt and one 410 with 000buck. Pistol grip was small and really stung my hand and caused it to go numb for a little while. My friend bought it for his ccw gun to drop in his front pocket while he was hustling pool. It worked for him and that's all the matters I guess.

DLCTEX
05-21-2014, 11:13 PM
A friend was given one for a retirement gift. We took turns firing it with the various ammos at his retirement party out at his bose's ranch. Few wanted seconds with it. I found it interesting, but impratical. He either sold or traded it after making sure it wouldn't hurt the boss's feelings. The boss is a good friend and admitted he thought it would be more practical of a gun.

Bullshop Junior
05-22-2014, 12:08 AM
I actually want to get one. They are kinda neat.

35 shooter
05-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Had one for a couple of years now and love it. The 2 1/2 fed buckshot loads and 3" both pattern great in mine to about 40 yds. although they drop about a foot low at 45 yds. The best patterns i've had out of small shot loads is the fed. # 6 shot 2 1/2" shells in the blue box. Win. 250 gr. lead boolits also do well in it although you will pick up leading but it brushes out with a brass brush with a little work.

I've done a lot of experimenting with mine with the shot loads and can make the fed loads pattern to 30 yds. But the only way i could find to do that and keep the doughnut hole out of the pattern was to take a very fine bead with the front sight with either bbl. In my gun, this this makes the top half of the pattern dead on from point blank to 30 yds. and the doughnut hole in the center of the pattern will be below what you shoot at....of course so will the bottom half of your shot pattern, but i was surprised at how well it works.

By taking a fine bead with the front sight, i mean barely seeing it in the bottom of the rear sight and use a 6 0'clock hold on the target. I haven't tested penetration with 6 shot at 30 yds. but have no doubt it will work on small game at 20 to 25 yds.

Play with the sight picture a bit on a pattern board or card board box and you might be surprised what can be done with it. I bought mine for a survival type tool and have worked with it till i made it work for just that....plus they're just too much fun!;)

Smithy
03-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Bond Arms is a company that I would have liked to be in a state other than California when they first came out. I'd then of had a copy of each of their models and kept that collection going every time they came out with another different model of derringer. Before California got really stupid we could own collect and purchase the American derringer and I did so with gusto. I had just about any kind of model you could think of and shot them all. This alone conditioned me to the shooting of derringers so when we finally were able to acquire the Bond Arms California models, it was a no brainer for me. From experience I can tell you this, The Bond Arms Derringer in any caliber is vastly easier to shoot than anything AD puts out now or ever before. Just in weight alone the BA has them beat. It's a bigger stronger beefier gun to be sure. Now some of my Ad models include a M! 45-70 single shot (that's because in a single they could center the chamber with the outside barrel) and their M4 slab sided twin 45-70 (slab sided since the bores were off center to allow both big cartridges to fit inside the frame). 357, 38, and even 44 magnum. All were doable in the AD so I am completely confident that in the Bond Arms they'd be a piece of cake. My first Bond is their fixed barrel 3" 45LC, but my second is coming the same way and looking identical save for the "CA" in the model description and the fact that the barrels do indeed interchange. That is interchange with other "CA" barrels so we won't run amok with a "Pistol Shotgun". I've already been chatting with the fine folk at Bond Arms and as soon as my registration is done with the newest one, the 3" barrels are being shipped off as well as the nice wood grips to Bond Arms. Some pocket change will also be required, but in exchange for the above mentioned parts I'll be receiving their 4.25" barrel in the same chambering and their small rubber grip. The small rubber grip will go on my 3" model and it's current extended rubber grip will then go on the long barreled version. Bond Arms makes a quality product for sure and they are some of the nicest folk to deal with I've seen. Folks in the rest of the country have another BA bonus that will NOT be available to folks in CA and I again wish I lived elsewhere.

Yep all of the other 49 staters will soon be able to custom order their Bond Arms gun. Pick a frame (black or stainless) pick a chambering (including dual chambering or one barrel one thing while the other barrel is something else), then the barrel length (2.5, 3, 3.5, 4.25), and finally pick your grip be it wood, synthetic or otherwise. You at this time can also add any accessories or additional barrel assemblies as you wish. They'll box it all up and have it out to your FFL dealer within a couple of days. What a hoot. Your very own personalized Bond Arms Derringer, just the way you want it. That is except for anyone in California. Smithy.

Texantothecore
02-23-2016, 10:35 AM
I just got a cowboy 45/410 and I am having a blast with it. Currently shooting Hornady cast, 255 grn at 700 fps and the accuracy is surprising. I clovered leafed two shots in succession the other day at 15 yards so it appears to be a lot better gun than I had been told.
The range officers and several of the early morning expert shooters have come over and expressed surprise at my targets, but I have only had it out 3 times so I am very much on the front end of this pistol.
Yesterday I received lee molds, 452-255-rf and .454 roundball. Checked them for burrs last night and found none. Tonight I will acetone both and maybe try an initial casting with 3fg blackpowder.

The Cowboy is my carry gun and unlike my other carry pieces it is a heck of a lot of fun, I expect to put several thousand rounds through it over the next year or so. Man, this gun is fun.

Texantothecore
02-23-2016, 10:43 AM
I will add that I put a round inside the ten ring on my second trip out with the Cowboy. Surprised the heck out of me. I am very pleased with it.

kerplode
02-23-2016, 09:29 PM
I picked up a Texas Defender a couple years back because I thought it was neat. I don't shoot it much though. The thing is all sharp edges and corners and after a couple rounds I end up with a bloody thumb from it carving into me during recoil.

It's an interesting gun and they're really well made. Maybe someday I'll get a 9mm or 38spl barrel and see if I can get through more than three rounds without ending up bleeding. :-)

44MAG#1
02-23-2016, 11:35 PM
You have my condolences.